Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our DIY kitchen is finally finished!

Posted by rocketmomkd (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 15:14

I want to thank so many of you who answered my questions, or asked question I was thinking of also! You've helped me make many decision and think about things I wouldn't have thought of on my own. We started this renovation on Feb 1, 2012 and just completed the last of the finishing touches. I'd still like to put in some decorative items, but I'll put them in as I find them. The only thing my dh didn't do himself were the countertops. He did everything else. I did just a little, mostly painting in the kitchen and the ajoining dining room and family room. We still have work to do in the dining room, like new table, crown molding and carpet. Not in a hurry though. I just want to spend some time enjoying my new kitchen. I know you've all seen so many white kitchens already, and this is my third one, but I still love a white kitchen!
Some details:
Cabinets- Shenandoah Mission, maple linen finish
Counters- Absolute Black granite
Backsplash- Carrera marble, honed 4"x12" tiles
Floor- Basalt Nero 12"x24" porcelain tile
Faucet- Delta Trinsic
Sink- Vigo zero radius stainless steel
Refrigerator- LG
Range- GE Profile electric convection
Dishwasher- Bosch

Before:

The

The window above the sink will be removed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And After:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our DIY kitchen is finally finished!

WOW!!!! It's beautiful! You really did a great job. You should be very proud. It looks so upscale. Your choices are lovely.

o

Wow. That's beautiful!! Great job. Your BS looks fab. DIY is so nice because of the sense of accomplishment. Love the look of your appliances too! Enjoy!

o

WOW! That is gorgeous! I love how you have a bar top AND counter height seating. The range hood is such a dramatic change. Congrats!

o

Really lovely. DIY, really? Amazing results.

o

I was somewhat surprised to see soffits in your "new" kitchen. Duh, those were before pics! That was a nice shade of green, though. Did you remove the window over your sink? Or am I just confused.

Your real new kitchen is beautiful, congratulations! I love your pendants and your stools are cool too.

o

Thanks for the kind words, fellow gw'ers.
Momo7- we did have to leave some of the soffits to hide ducting and pipes. And you are not confused...we did remove a window. Counter to what most would do, but since removing the wall between the dining room and kitchen, we get more light from a large window in the dining room.
For anyone interested in the diy process, you can click on an pic above and see my whole album showing the project from start to finish.

o

Sweet! I love it. I love it more that you DIY! It really came out nicely!

o

Looks really nice. Love the mission style cabs.

o

Awesome! So sleek and clean. That hood is so cool, I love how it doesn't block the view. Your stools are cool too, I saw those at Crate and Barrel, they are very comfy. Nice job, and to think you DIY--that is fantastic, CONGRATULATIONS!

o

Lots of talent and style !! what a lovely kitchen you have...enjoy your hard work. c

o

I think your old kitchen was very pretty. Your new one is stunning, and it looks well planned and user-friendly, to boot. Even more impressive that it was DIY. Cook that man a steak!

o

I am always, and I've said this before, in absolute awe of DIY'ers. Your kitchen is bright, beautiful and functional. It looks so pretty. I, too, am in my third white kitchen and I love them.

o

What a beautiful space. The countertops are especially striking with the white cabinetry. Very elegant, and the fact that it was DIY? After (barely) keeping our sanity through a kitchen job we had someone else do, I have a whole new appreciation for folks who do it themselves. You BOTH deserve a steak (and a few glasses of wine ;-)

o

You guys did a fantastic job with the kitchen! Congrats on being done!

o

This is DYI???

Can you come over and do my kitchen? :-)
Congratulations!

It is gorgeous!

o

The word that comes to mind for me is "chic!"

Gorgeous. I could usually care less about white kitchens, but on this board so many come out that are so beautiful, still warm, very clean, and so lovingly planned.

Yours sure joins the ranks!
Great job.

o

Wow! Well done! Love the backsplash and the paint colour. Congrats on finishing!

o

Thanks again everyone for your very pleasant compliments. Dh really did do an amazing job. He deserves a nice break from house type work, so he'll be working on his project cars in the garage.
We'll be passing on the steak- vegetarians here. I did make a nice veg sheppards pie the other night though;) And toasted with a lovely craft brew from Victory!

o

And toasted with a lovely craft brew from Victory!

DH just had his own side-by-side taste test with some collaboration brews from Victory and Dogfish Head (the one with "Parsley, sage, rosemary..." I kid you not!). He liked the Victory version better. :-)

Your new kitchen is beautiful, and I love the pet feeding area!

o

You did a great job! I have to ask - where is your Jadite collection living now? ;) Your new kitchen looks both elegant and so peaceful.

o

You did a great job! I have to ask - where is your Jadite collection living now? ;) Your new kitchen looks both elegant and so peaceful.

o

Catmom- I would have loved to try that saison! I'm such a fan of Headwaters I rarely order anything else these days.And that is just the dog area you see in the kitchen. The cats have their own area in the laundry room, away from the ineveitable theft by the dog!
Redhouse- I still have all my Jadite. I have even more than was in the before pics. In those, I had already started packing it up. It may go on ebay...

o

Your kitchen is so pretty. Everything goes together so well. Excellent planning and execution!

o

I am so glad that I waited to respond until on a computer - the iphone is nice but just did not do this beautiful kitchen justice!!
Awesome job!!! I love everything about your kitchen - the counters, cabs, layout all look great - wish we could do something as a diy - but my DH has a bad back (although he rides his bicycle 4000 miles a year when not on the injured reserve)

Love those Victory brews - we used the Victory Stout to heal my husband's bones a few years ago - a long story but his doctor told him he had to drink porter or stout to get the iron and calories to heal his bones....(10 broken bones - ouch) - so now we give all of our injured friends a 6 pack of Victory.

Have you tried Troegg? I brought back a 6 pack of the Troegginator - loved the name and very enjoyable.

Ohh- are we going OT on this!

o

I am so impressed with everyone that DIY on this board. They turn out such amazing work.

I love the new layout - it looks a million times more efficient even though it's still a small space.

I also clipped your post for the microwave shelf. I like how it juts out slightly from the cabinet.

o

Oh a2gemini! Yes we are OT now...DH will LOVE to hear your story about the healing powers of stout. He's from England and swears people sick in hospital used to be given stout! We've had Troegg's...also excellent. Beer is the only thing I am a snob about and I'm not ashamed to say so!
Chiefy-we only gained 18" in the kitchen from moving the dining room wall, but it really did make it so much better. For me, it's the perfect size. I also love the micro shelf, but it really only works with a smaller micro, the space is 24". But that's all I needed.

o

There were many things about your old kitchen I really liked, but space planning wasn't one of them. Your new kitchen really hit it out of the ballpark on space planning. Don't you find that you have so much more usable work space in this new design?

Good job!

o

Rocket - great job - my DB is brewing these days - it is quite good (surprise) and he has even won some awards.

One of our favorites out here is Arbor Brewing Company Oro - it has won several awards for best Belgium style.

So, my DH is on the mend again - no broken bones but a concussion, so wouldn't let him have any stout until he is a bit better. He is still having some headaches and loss of skin from his pedal snapping off while riding up a hill. (Now realize his pedal cost more than some bicycles..) I will let DH know about serving stout in the hospital..

Hope to head east in September to visit DM. Let me know any other recommendations... Sounds like you must be in SE PA

o

rocketmom !! FABULOUS job ! I share the same sentiments that elena asked, :) is your DH ready for more work?

can you share more about your flooring? where did you find it? did you cut it in half? what did you use the same flooring in the other parts of the house too?

SO COOL & Very happy for You!!!!

o

It is beautiful! And to think you DIY!! Wow!

o

go figure- thanks, we love the floor too! It is a 12"x24" porcelain that is set in a 70/30 layout. We found it at a large regional tile store, Avalon Tile and we ran it from our front door down the hallway and into the kitchen. It was one of our biggest bargain finds for this kitchen- 2.99 sq foot!
IMG_0755

o

Nice floor!!!

As long as we're comparing beer notes (!), DH loves anything from Brooklyn Brewery. Local #2 is a fave of his, and he practically "swoons" over their Black Ops (big bottle--limited batch brew). He much prefers dark, malty Belgian style beers, so I'm sure would love to hang out with this crowd!!

o

Love that floor - I might just have to use that same tile in our hallway and entryway!!!

Catmom - haven't tried any Brooklyn beers - but if I get to NY - will definitely give this a try!!

o

I even like the 'before' kitchen, maybe because of the jadeite. The new kitchen is gorgeous--congratulations on a DIY well done!

o

You'll have to let me know if you do make it to NY a2gemini--especiallly since DH and I are both Gemini's! :-)

o

WOW rocketmom, SUPER SCORE. it looks fabulous!! What did you use for grout? TY for the new pic, your home is gorgeous!

Have soooooo much fun!!! Relax and enjoy all your hardwork!

o

go figure- we actually had big probelms with the grout. We used a TEC grout recommended by the tile store, color was supposed to be charcoal gray. But it turned out very blotchy and really light gray in some areas. After some reseach I ordered "This Old Grout" online and re-colored all the grout. It worked great!

o

Thanks for the info rocketmomkd. does the kd stand for kitchen designer? it should!!

Have fun!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here