Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Durability of Princess White Quartzite

Posted by elee325 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 15:12

We are remodeling our kitchen and I thought I found the perfect alternative to white marble: Princess White, or White Princess, quartzite. But after a visit to a granite and marble place, I came home quite deflated. The gentleman said in his experiences in working with Princess White, it has cracked while cutting it into shape. This would mean that it is more brittle than granite. They had to fill in the cracks, but trying to match the color is difficult as well. He also said customers who purchased the quartzite have come back and said green spots had formed.

I Love the look of marble, but like many, I do not want to worry about taking care of it to prevent stains or etching.

I think Princess White is the closest to the look of white marble and had thought it would be more durable. But it seems some quartzites are more durable than others.

Has anyone had Princess White installed in their kitchen for some time now? IF so, I am very interested in hearing your experiences with it. Has there been any etching, scratches, stains, or even changes in color??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Durability of Princess White Quartzite

I have Super White, aka White Fantasy. (Princess White or White Princess, as seen in firsthousemp's kitchen) is priced about double the SW around here. But, let me give you my SW experience.

I have gorgeous counters, in my opinion. However, my hard water is etching them. In fact the area under the faucet on my clean-up sink is totally etched. So, I'm constantly drying them, nothing goes directly on the counter, I'm a little obsessed with the coasters. I took a sample of SW and tested it. Not with the water in this house as it was a new build. But the only issue I had was when I left a lime on the sample overnight and it etched it. It is not etching like marble, meaning a squirt of lemon or lime doesn't etch it if I clean it up. But it turns out I don't need to let it sit too long to leave a mark.

I still love the counters. But it is so frustrating to me. Had I known this, I might have gone with the marble. But, even with that being said, I do love the look of this vs any of the marble I had seen while doing my search for the stones.

I believe my dh and I are the only ones who see the etches, as we are a little obsessed with looking for the marks. I even have rings from either glasses or bottles, not really sure. There are a lot of trays on my counters, I have dish towels by every sink, and of course the crystal coasters are in the middle of the island.

We are getting a water softener, so maybe that will help.

I hope I didn't burst your quartzite bubble for you, but you needed to know my experience.

o

My sister-in-law has arctic pearl quartzite and I have marble. When she first put it in I felt I had made a mistake by choosing marble - it was jaw dropping, absolutely beautiful. It is still very nice, but now she is the one who feels she may have made the wrong choice. It hasn't stained or changed color, but it has etched quite a bit. My marble has etched as well, but somehow the marble (danby) is faring much better. This is hard to explain, but my etching has become a gentle patina and her etching looks blotchy. I am not sure if arctic pearl is similar to princess white or if all quartzite has this etching issue. Since some quartzites are so beautiful I don't want to discourage you, but I would really put a sample through the wringer! Good luck, let us know what you decide.

o

I agree with lillyvt, you need to have a sealed sample and test it out. Some people have had trouble with quartzites, others (like me) have quartzites with zero issues, no etching at all. I know that the sealant can make a difference - there was a thread a few months ago where a gentleman noted that water etched his quartzite. He re-sealed it with a different product and had no problems afterwards.

Our fabricator was dubious when we first told him that we had ordered a quartzite slab - he said quartzite crumbed and cracked. After working with our quartzite he admitted that they were clearly two very different types of stone, although both were called quartzite. Who knows.

What country is your quartzite from?

o

It's sad to hear about the etching on the quartzite. Quartzite does have a more similar look to marble than granite so after all the stories I have heard, I am now not so surprised to hear that it can share some of the problems of marble as well. ...sigh...

I didn't check to see from which country the Princess White is. When I first saw it, I still hadn't made up my mind as to what I would use. But after continuing my search, I realized that granite fell short of the look I was after and that Princess White would be the closest.

Sochi, do you know from which thread you read about the gentleman switching sealants?

I actually found something online mentioning two types of sealants. One is penetrating which prevents staining, but not etching or scratching. The other is a topical sealant which does protect from etching and scratching from acidic materials, but needs to be reapplied. Before reapplying, the old one needs to be removed first, which may harm some stones.

Sochi, so your countertops still look great? Which country is your Princess White from and do you know what kind of sealant you have?

o

Elee325, my quartzite is Luce di Luna or quartzite Bianca, it has a strong linear pattern to it. It is from Brazil, as are most quartzites that have arrived on the market lately I think. I've been using mine for over two years now, no etching or staining at all. It is sealed with a silicone based product. The thread I referred to earlier was actually an email exchange. He found that his quartzite was darkening from water, he didn't report etching, my mistake. His counter was originally sealed with a water based product. After I told him what mine was sealed with he switched to a silicone product and had no further issues with his counter.

There is an old thread where I noted the name of the product I used, I will see if I can find it.

Some people with a science background have claimed that if a quartzite etches it must be marble mis-identified as quartzite. I have no idea, but we have a few reports here on GW of quartzite etching, while many like me have had nothing at all. It is difficult to explain. Search for an old thread started by me called " what's up with quartzite", it is an interesting read.

Just found the old thread where I discuss the product used on my quartzite, here it is:

Hi again - I heard from my fabricator. They used an industrial silicone-based sealant from GranQuartz, called 413S. I'm not certain that it is available to individuals (as opposed to fabricators), but it might not hurt to ask your fabricator about it. I've pasted in a link to the product on the GranQuartz website. Here is a link that might be useful: Silicone Stone Sealant

o

We have White Princess quartzite on our island (same stone as firsthouse_mp). No stains, no etches, no water marks in the 3 months since we moved in. I do try to whipe up spills quikcly...just in case. I've held my breath upon discovery a red wine ring or missed Indian curry spots in the morning. So far a swipe of the sponge has cleaned up every spot without a trace. My husband and I both cook a lot and our 4 and 2 year old DD's like to help. The girls eat at the island quite a bit too. This quartzite has seen a lot of action already. So far it has performed beautifully for us. (We also are having a party in a couple of weeks, so let me knock on wood)

Before moving into our new build, we lived with my in-laws who had just renovated their kitchen. My mother in law has White Macaubas quartizte in her kitchen (looks just like Sochi's Luce di Luna). When we first started cooking in her kitchen, the Macaubas was obsorbing water and oil spots upon contact. My mother in law literally had kitchen towels down on the counters surrounding the cook top and sinks. We had to poultice out the marks and re-seal (I don't remember which sealer). Since then they have also performed beautifully. She also used a remnant to make a large outdoor table. It's been sitting outside for a year and a half without showing any sign of wear or tear (we are in So. Cal., so the weather is temperate all year long).

In comparison, here's our experience with marble (which I also love). My mother in law had a calcutta gold marble top made for her breakfast table from a remnant slab. Despite our best efforts with place mats and cleaning up any drips immediately, it has etched everywhere. Orange juice, tomato sauce, etc. all etch upon contact. To me, the etches are beginning to blend into "patina" and the table is lovely. However, the etches are really noticeable from certain angles.

I have white statuary marble on the counters in my master bathroom. They do etch from tooth paste and bath products, but the etch marks do not both me.

My DD's have carrera marble counters on their bathroom vanities. They have not etched yet despite their smearing toothpaste all over the counters on a daily basis. Go figure. Maybe because we still use toddler toothpaste without floride?

o

Thanks sochi for that extra information regarding the old threads...it's been extremely helpful and interesting to read. It seems that if you get a stone that does etch, it could possibly be remedied by having it resealed.

Mklee01, your input was also very helpful. It did give added hope for the princess white quartzite. I was about to give up on the quartzite, but seeing that the sealant is very important, it seems that questioning the fabricator about the sealant used would be a good idea.

But it seems that people in this area aren't willing to guarantee white quartzites with a warranty...

o

Hello! My lovely wife, and 2 kids under 3 years old at the time, renovated our home 2 years ago. My lovely wife walks into the showroom and walked straight to the most expensive white princess slabs in the place. She basically blew our whole budget on the 3 slabs. We reserved them right then and there. I've read over the years at people really wanting this quartzite so I thought I'd post you a few pics of our kitchen 2 years later.

First of all, you will need to find a QUALITY and very good fabricator. I've spoken with several and most really don't know the difference until it starts chipping while it's being cut. It cuts like crystallized sugar. They hate it. We had a very good fabricator and there was still 2 areas he had to fill with the resin patching. As the patching is exposed to UV rays, it will turn a very light green. It took close to 6 months until the small color change occurred. We have one small area on the sink cut-out and another small area between the refrigerator and freezer.

Durability to water and wear? I just don't see it. We put very nice white marble in our master bathroom and had to have it honed from the glossy finish we had 2 years ago due to water spotting and I guess toothpaste spatter. I will never place expensive marble anywhere...it's a nightmare and we have it almost everywhere except our kitchen. We literally beat the tar out of this white princess and there is not a water spot or etching anywhere. We also have our fabricator come 1 time per year to wipe a sealer he likes on it. It's not so much that it's a hard job, because it's simple. We have him come to check things out and make sure we protect the investment. He charged us $50 to seal it each time.

Hope this helps. Durability...great. Chipping while you have it...nope. Chipping and being patched by the professional fabricators.....yup. So get a good one. Buy a bottle of the best sealer you can get. Oh, my wife cleans ours with alcohol and water. Shines up nicely and kills everything.

Ryan

o

oops. forgot the pic.

o

We have quartzite in two different kitchens.

The Mother of Pearl quartzite has been in for over 2 years and has held up amazingly. No etching or staining - looks as good as new.

The Super White is gorgeous looking, but etches. Not from water, but from acids and bizarrely the rubber feet on our daughter's bouncy chair. Who knows why! I like the look of the Super White more than most Carrara slabs I've seen, but it's not bullet proof.

All quartzites are not created equal.

o

Our white quartzite (aka Moon Night) has etched from lime and lemon juice, but has never stained in the year we have owned it (with 3 young kids and lots of entertaining). We have a honed finish so you can't really see the etching at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here