Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbsim1

All White but soon to be Oak New Kitchen

gbsim1
11 years ago

I thought I'd finally show some photos of the kitchen area of the house that we've had under construction for the past 15 months. We're hoping to be in sometime in October. Right now it's all primer white, but will eventually be inset Quarter and Rift Sawn Oak with soapstone and a colorful backsplash.

The kitchen has a "vaulted" ceiling and the three planes come together at a point over the 4x6 center island. There'll be natural stained fir rafters exposed in the ceiling where you see the cutouts on the sheetrock.

Window is bumped out and will have a 12" window ledge raised up behind the sink.

The sink will be the 60" Kohler ProTaskcenter and takes up the center glass section in the triple window.

I'm excited to one day see the CC 48" in black with a Modernaire barrel hood that I ordered from Trevor. It will be on the left wall and you can just see the entry to the walk in pantry .

Bar/Beverage area opposite the island on the other side of the room (behind the red plastic chair) will have a small sink, refrigerator/freezer drawers and glass cabinets above.

Here's my cabinet stain, soapstone, backsplash tile and Marmoleum choice!

Thanks for letting me share my excitement!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog about Our New Life in VA and Building the House

Comments (10)

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Nice View!

• chitown_remodel
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is going to be beautiful! All of your elements work so well together. And I really love that sink!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I like your elements and space, too!
    I look forward to seeing it all come together.

• labbie
    11 years ago

How exciting! I love your choices- the exposed beams will be so striking.
    Also, can I ask for details of your backsplash tile? We are agonizing over ours and the subtle variations in yours caught my eye. Thanks!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Gbsim, I really enjoyed your blog! We just made a similar move, from SE Texas to Kentucky. We moved 12 horses with us!

I think your home is going to be devine!

Nancy

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

what are the dimensions of the larger bowls in the sink? i'm guessing not more than 22" wide (if that), which would be a deal breaker for me. there was a thread on three bowl sinks not too long ago.

nice materials, can't wait to see it come together.

• arch123
    11 years ago

Love your choices and your build. What is the source of your Soapstone and Marmoleum? We are in Amherst County and thinking your not to far from you.

• gbsim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all!

Heavens, I can't imagine moving 12 horses; two was hard enough!

Labbie, the backsplash tile is from a Japanese Company called Wa-Kei tile and I'll put the link at the bottom of the page. The tile I'm using in the kitchen is "Twilight" listed under Mosaic tiles.

I fell in love with every tile sample from Wa-Kei that the showroom had. Gorgeous colors and textures.... I'd recommend seeking out a showroom as they have to be seen in person to see the subtleties. Here's another photo of the tile.

I'll be using another of their tiles (Gashu) in the Mud Room.

Kate, the interior dimensions of the two larger sinks are 21x18. My largest sheet pan is smaller than that so it's not an issue for me. For the few times a year that I might soak a grill or oven rack, I've got my utility sink if needed.

I love the functionallity of the triple section being available for handwashing, rinsing plates etc and won't have a prep sink so it suits my cooking style to do the unfashionable triple!

Archie, I'm still struggling with the soapstone source, I've fallen in love with Julia from M Tex in NJ but may have to install/go get ourselves if I can't talk Florida Joshua into coming on a northward trip. For Marmoleum we're using a place in Salem VA called Whitt Carpet One. There are two places in Charlottesville but we struck out with them.... I can tell you more if you email.
    If you're looking for tile, I highly recommend Sarisand Tile in C'ville.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wa-Kei Tile

• labbie
    11 years ago

thank you for the tile info and closeup shot....they're even prettier up close. We'll check them out, hopefully a source will be near us.

• pawa
    11 years ago

beautiful! I love your selections; they work wonderfully together. I particularly like the stain on your oak.

The whole look is kind of 'outdoorsy' :-)
    Lovely!