Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinesmom_gw

Cabinet size for Sharp 24' drawer microwave???

carolinesmom
14 years ago

Hi everyone, looking at purchasing the Sharp 24" drawer micro; says it can be installed in a 24" microwave cabinet. My cabinet company's smallest "built in" microwave cab is 27". They do make a regular microwave shelf cab in a 24". I want this cab/micro to take the least amt of space possible. Would love to fit it into a 24" cabinet. Anyone have experience with this? Thank you!

Comments (26)

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

I am putting mine in a 30" cab so that if I want to swap it out one day for a steam oven or an Advantium, I have that option.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

My 30" Sharp MW Drawer is in a 31" cabinet. However, I checked the Sharp site and under "Downloads" found that you can indeed install a 24" MW Drawer in a 24" cabinet...there are two documents that might help you, depending on your cabinet type: framed or frameless (IIRC, you're going w/framed, correct?)

Installation Tips: 24" in 24" Face Frame Cabinet:
    http://www.sharpusa.com/files/mdo_dow_TIP_24-n-24_face_frame.pdf

Installation Tips: 24" in 24" Frameless Cabinet:
    http://www.sharpusa.com/files/mdo_dow_TIP_24-n-24_frameless.pdf

Sharp Downloads for Microwave Drawers:
    http://www.sharpusa.com/products/TypeDownloads/0,1087,216,00.html

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

I am so glad you asked this. I am going to do the 24" too. Had originally thought we were doing the larger one, but after looking at my island, I don't want such a large micro! Thanks for the specs Buehl!

• carolinesmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! Buehl you are a virtual treasure trove! Printing as we speak! :)

• annemonty
    14 years ago

i want to install a 24"sharp microwave drawer in a 30" cabinet. Is this possible? what about the extra 3 inches on each side?

• Julierang
    10 years ago

I am also looking at installing a Sharp 24" drawer micro. The pictures on line make the color of the stainless look different that any other brand. I have Kenmore appliances and wonder if the color will match. Does anyone else have a mix of brands and does the stainless match?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

"i want to install a 24"sharp microwave drawer in a 30" cabinet. Is this possible? what about the extra 3 inches on each side?"

Filler pieces. See the above links provided by buehl.

Can I add an additional question about this 24 inch micro drawer? The instructions say that the plug has to be in the top left corner of the cabinet. Is that they only place that the plug will work? My plug is located in the center of my 27-inch cabinet, but towards the top of the opening. It is recessed into the cabinet so there is not a plug box sticking out into the opening. Moving the plug at this point will be a huge ordeal.

• boredy
    9 years ago

Hello!

Please help!

The cabinet people told me that I need support for both sides installing the microwave. I have attached a picture. I wanted the microwave to be next to the stove but he said the "microwave" needs support, so he added a spice rack next to it.

My question is.. can I eliminate the spice rack?

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Not sure about that ... we have cabs on both sides, but there's no "support" - they aren't attached other than via the plywood underlayment for the counter (and each cab is screwed into the support 2x4 cleat that's on the wall.

The microwave isn't particularly heavy. But the cabinet that it's in is specifically designed for a 24" MW drawer.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Our microwave drawer is in a 24" cab at the end of the island; there are no cabinets to the right or left of the microwave.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

This is my late MIL's last kitchen. That's a 36" induction cooktop, a 24" Sharp Drawer MW, and double ovens. No "support" between each.

• User
    9 years ago

It has side walls to the cabinet that indeed DO support the countertop.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

MW drawer can go into a 24" cabinet with no cabinet next to it. Opening is 22-1/8" so stiles gets cut down if a framed cabinet which is ok with a well made carcass, 25-1/8 is better if available.
    Electric must go where specified or there won't be room for the plug.

• bobhood
    9 years ago

Another factoid for your decision matrix: The 24" and 30" Sharp microwave drawers have the SAME interior capacity. The exterior trim is larger on the 30" drawer.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

You already have most of the info I can share:

Both 24" and 30" drawer MWs are the same interior size. Only the door is wider in the 30." No advantage to it other than to enable you to use an existing 30" cab.

Mine is on the end of the island. No extra framing was needed.

It does take the full width of a frameless 24" cab. If putting it in a framed 24" cab, alteration would be necessary.

I also used a modified 24" drawer cabinet with a shelf between the MW area and a bottom drawer built to the depth needed below the MW. All that drawer really requires is that the drawer front be the correct height, since the sides can easily be lower.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

It does take the full width of a frameless 24" cab.

Almost but not quite. This picture shows the drawer open, in my 24" frameless cabinet. You can see that the top trim piece does in fact take the entire width, but the box itself does not - there is some cabinet showing to the left and right.

• troymoria
    8 years ago

I have a 24 inch cabinet and would like to place a 24 inch microwave drawer in it however the opening is only 14 inches high. The spec requirements for the opening height is 14 13/16, is there any room allowance allowed for the MW drawer to fit in the 14 inch high opening or will I have to cut the cabinet to the height requirement?

• jbspeck
    2 years ago

My island cabinet is currently being made with a 30" cabinet space for an in-drawer microwave. I have decided to purchase the Sharp black stainless steel product but it only comes in a 24" width. I understand that trim kits are available to adjust for 24 - 30 " but not available for this model. I also have found that there is a "flush mount deflector vent" for this model but I don't understand how this works, how mant I would need, or if it would be the answer to my problem. Appreciate any help I can get.

• jdesign_gw
    2 years ago

This is 24” in a 30” cabinet. The flush trim thing is just a piece of sheet metal angle that sits under the microwave and hangs down over the shelf the microwaveis is sitting on to deflect some heat.

• dt516
    2 years ago

Anyone know if a 24” mw will go into a 24” inset cabinet and if that would look ok? Thanks

• Yovanny Henningsen
    last year

It was asked before, but how different are the stainless steels of different brands? in particular; this 24” sharp to samsung’s ”smudge proof” stainless steel? the microwave will either be next to the samsung stove or have a 12” cabinet in between.

has anyone mixed brands in their kitchen and really noticed a difference in the SS?

• cpartist
    last year
    last modified: last year

No one will notice a difference. Don't worry about it. Below was my condo Sharp MW and I believe it was a Samsung fridge. And a Bosch oven, and a KA dishwasher.

• Yovanny Henningsen
    last year

Awesome @cpartist! thanks for the picture example! it’s so helpful! …and yeah mabe i am overthinking the minut differences…that really arent that noticable.

• tarasmom
    last year

I have a question along the same line. I thought I was going to put my microwave in a different space and now that has changed. I have a 24” base cabinet with a silverware drawer. Would it even be possible to put the microwave drawer below the top drawer of the 24” cabinet? I know that might make it too low but I would have to find a different place for my silverware if I have to move the top drawer of the cabinet. I have a good carpenter that can take my regular base and put the shelf needed to turn it into a microwave cabinet

• jdesign_gw
    last year

just did plykea and kerf style in maple