Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_wi

Ready to decide on backsplash but need opinions!

lisa_wi
14 years ago

We've been in our new home for 2 years now and its time for a backsplash! I've got Formica Butterum Granite counters and biscuit appliances. Here's a view from the fireplace area toward the kitchen:

and from the island toward the fireplace. Desk is on the left, eating area on the right:

I really like the look of tumbled stone and picked up some 4x4 tumbled chiaro travertine at HD the other day and I think I like the color - everything else seems like it would be to dark or busy with the counters. I also grabbed a border that I thought would work well.

Questions:

I want this to be DIY so I don't really want to go with 4x4 on the diagonal but it seems like that's what everyone does? Will it be boring if its not diagonal?

I do love the subway shape too and the mini-bricks but that might get too busy with the border?

Layout - I was thinking about a half-row under the border then full tiles above. It seems like it would work best with my window area?

What do I do over the stove with the border? Make a 90 degree turn and wrap the border over the top of the stove?

I am open to any suggestions including other types of tile, liners, borders, layout, etc. I wouldn't mind bronze accents either. I haven't looked too hard yet but the tumbled tile is definitely something I like. Its usually pretty easy for me to make design decisions but backsplashes really give me trouble!

Thanks!!!

Lisa

Comments (7)

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

First, I think your choice of tile is perfect. I wouldn't do a diagonal in your space (you could do a brick pattern with the 4x4 tile if you wanted, but I like the plain squares). One other option with the border, you could do a mosaic with the pieces and run them on the horizontal (more like your fireplace across the room).

Good luck!

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

I did the half row under my border just like you are proposing because I didn't want the mosaic to end up in the electrical outlets. It worked fine! I did switch to diagonal above the border though. For over my stove, I switch back to square laid (the transition is behind the stainless shelf), and inserted a mosaic square on a diagonal.

I think your colors work very well together.

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback and the photos. I agree I just don't think the diagonal would work - our house is craftsman styled/inspired, and diagonal just seems too fussy.

I never thought about flipping the border or the fact that it was so similar to the fireplace but I love the idea!

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Any other opinions or photos?

Thanks! Love the feedback so far!

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Lisa,
    I think your kitchen will look so nice with that tile.

I wanted to ask you (as we both have the same counter) what is the name of your orange paint? It looks so nice with the countertops!

• lisa_wi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

haley_comet,
    The paint color is Sherwin Williams Brandywine. I absolutely love it and am kind of nervous I will miss that color when I do the backsplash!