Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianalo_loco

Before you demo - read this

dianalo
13 years ago

Hi all,

Before you rip out your kitchen, if it is in decent or better shape, read the following, posted by our local Habitat for Humanity Restore. I am sure other Restores would post similar, and they are nationwide and in Canada. You can feel good about not wasting usable things and get a tax write off in the process.

We Need Your Kitchen!

Do you or some one you know in the process of remodeling a kitchen? Is the kitchen set in too good of shape to use in a workshop or garage? Contact us and we may be able to save you money and provide you with a valuable Tax Deduction.

Here is how it works; send pictures to restore1@optonline.net or call our Donation Hotline @ 631.767.1612. If your kitchen set and/or appliances fit our requirements, we will pick up your donation and provide you with a letter for tax purposes.

Here are the benefits:

* You save on disposal costs. Large dumpsters cost over $600.

* We provide you with a tax write off.

* ReStore will pick up everything at no cost for you.

* Your donation will give a home owner the opportunity to update their kitchen, where most likely they would not have been able to afford to.

* You will be helping the environment by keeping home products out of the waste stream, thus saving valuable landfill space.

* You will be supporting Habitat for Humanity right here on Long Island.

PLEASE TELL A FRIEND!

ReStore is owned and operated by Habitat for Humanity of Suffolk. We are proud to say that 100% of the profits from sales of donated building materials and home products go right into building affordable homes right here on Long Island.

Thank you for your support!

Comments (9)

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

bump

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

I got my "new" sink from a Habitat Restore for only $60. It was a great big single bowl cast iron and porcelain sink that was probably not very old. It has one chip on the rim, toward the back. I'll get some porcelain touch-up to protect it.

So GW kitchen remodelers can possibly make use of their Re-store on both ends of the spectrum.

In Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut, people changing out entire kitchens in good condition should also remember Green Demolitions. I bought my new kitchen cabs from them. They may be 23 years old, but by the time my carpenter fixed a few things here and there, my friend scrubbed them well for me, and my husband and I sand, re-stain, and polyurethane those cabs, I defy anyone to tell which are new that my carpenter made to match, and which are 23 years old from somebody in Connecticut. GD is also a charity and will give you a letter for your donation.

• dianalo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    In another post I told about how I got a brand new 5 foot eyebrow window for our roof from Restore for $150! It retails for $1k for the all vinyl version, and this one had wood in it, so is the upgrade kind. I saw kinds of brand new as well as used things. They have doors, windows, faucets, sinks (2 farmhouse ones!), tubs, toilets, tons of tile, etc... all were really cheap and you could hit a couple of items here and save some real money. They had a bunch of Kohler, American Standard, Daltile and many imported expensive materials selling for pennies on the dollar (including imported crackle 4 x 4s and beveled ceramic subways for $1 per square foot!).
    It also felt good to know it was going to a good cause.

About GD, do they have more than just cabinets? I am on Long Island, so would be in their area....

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I have a friend who masterminds Habitat for Humanity projects in one region of our state. He is grateful for things that you might not consider--scaffolding, tools, ladders, hardware, some kinds of boards, more. He gladly took stuff from my Dad's 60 year collection of construction equipment and flotsam which we didn't know what to do with, and the family got a tax write-off. These went directly to construction sites--no store here.

If you have usable construction materials, remember to contact them.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Check out their site Dianalo, I meant to put a link on my posting, but stain fumes have fried my brain and I forgot. Their kitchens often come with all of the appliances or some of the appliances, sinks, faucets, countertops. It is a lot of fun to look at the kitchens they have and imagine if they meet your needs.

They have new and used appliances that are available separately. They also have store display kitchens and sometimes other rooms. Now they have a desk and this little gem:
    "A GEORGE II STYLE CARVED PINE BOISERIE FOR FOUR WALLS carved cavetto moldings over paneled walls with a central rectangular overmantle with a Medusa head finial Full carved mantle and hearth surround below. The opposite wall fitted as a bibliotheque. A third wall mounted with an arched double door and the final wall pierced for two tall windows."
    It is at a sale price of $59,000 - down from $75,000. When it was first posted they said it was Bob Guccione's study, but the name came off the ad pretty fast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Demolitions

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Definitely check with your local Habitat for Humanity Restore before throwing away anything in remodeling. Just ask and they will let you know what they can and cannot accept. I donated everything I could from a recent bathroom remodel and I was very pleased with being able to recycle items in good function that were simply not my style.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

There's another thread on this from last week, but some Habitats are also now participating in something called "Kitchen Deconstruction," where they'll not only take your donations, but do all of the demo work and salvage whatever can be reused, leaving the space ready for you or your contractor. It's a pilot program run by the Reuse People and only available in some markets, but I think the plan is to expand it as it gets rolling. We're planning to use the program for our demo, so I can report back on it after that. The cost seemed very reasonable, though, especially given that you get a donation receipt for anything that can be reused.

• worthy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Let's update this.

In our area (Toronto), Habitat doesn't inspect homes to be demoed. But will gladly take items if you dismantle and bring it to them.

Here are a couple pics of cabinetry and oak railings, light fixtures going to landfill soon.

The cabinets are solid wood, modular and can be re-finished nicely. (I sprayed bath vanities in the house.)

I'm in the process of removing the oak rails for re-use in another home and will re-use that recently-installed kitchen tap in a utility sink in our new multi-seven figure build. (Man, am I cheap, says mrs. worthy!) So not all of it goes to waste. Just not wasting time with Habitat.

• artemis78
    2 years ago

Ha, it has been over a decade since we finished this project, but we did indeed use Habitat's then-new Deconstruction program (which still seems to be offered, at least in Northern CA). It was great; very modestly priced relative to other demo options and they took away everything they could reuse and disposed of everything they couldn't (though sadly we discovered our cabinets were built in place, so they couldn't salvage those). So if it's an option in your area, certainly worth looking into.