Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailrunnerbiker

What a production...KAW !! please post your pics...

trailrunner
10 years ago

Starting a participatory thread. Anything happening in your kitchen ? Let us see. The use of appliances, sink(s) and countertops, utensils, storage of supplies, how has it all held up....what is good and what isn't ??? What are you doing with the abundance of produce this time of year ?

I have recently started baking for a local farmer's market. The orders are streaming in ! I am baking a couple days a week to try and keep up. One source needs at least 16 loaves a week and will likely want more than that. I have made my sunroom into a kitchen annex. Note the arrangement of the bookcase on the little table, a new bookcase for storage and repurposed maple butcher block table that I have had for decades. I love having the extra room. I can spread out in that direction and use the table and my soapstone counter and DH goes the other way and uses the island. Works great !

DH is making his pasta also for customers. This is 2# to fulfill orders. Here are a pics...

you know you are baking when you get 2# bags of yeast !

{{!gwi}}

where is my dishwasher...he didn't show up for work :)

pasta drying

cut and dried and ready to bag

16 boules of Sourdough !!

the rest of the bounty...oatmeal bread and rolls, Challah, bagels, sourdough of 2 kinds, cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing, dinner rolls

new baking annex :

dinner rolls:

special order Challah for Rosh Hashanah

oh my,....

Challah.

Comments (72)

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

I agree with you Trailrunner. Old bay's pictures remind me of my mom,too. I sure do miss her. She would have loved my new kitchen!
    And I am sorry to hear about your berries and peaches. My son just ate a peach and had to hold a paper towel under his chin because it was so juicy!

Old bat--I took a picture of that pie because it was my best one ever! I usually struggle with the crust as well. When the crust turns out ugly I just say "that's how you can tell it is homemade!"

Come on everybody! More pictures!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Oldbat, love that tile!

Trail. Do you take Paypal? And can you make me a miche? : )

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

heidi...I agree...more pictures !! Surely everyone is cooking up a storm ...we have SO many new kitchens...grab your camera and snap a photo...a slice of pie or a slice of your life...( see the thread on Home Decoration that is now in its 6th part !! )

Mnt...ha...I do take paypal :) c

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Wow, everyone's KAW looks amazing! Trailrunner, your bread looks so delicious. I can see why your new business is thriving. I would snap up a couple of loaves in a heartbeat. Kali615, your jam looks so yummy. It makes me reminisce childhood days eating home made jam at my grandmother's house.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I love having my Wolf 6-burner range (AG), especially when making large batches of soup for ex. Even when I'm not using all the burners, the extra space is invaluable. I am able to cook the soup in three large stockpots across the three front burners (two 12 qt, and one 10 qt), with each pot centered on its burner (not half off the burners, hanging over the front of the range like they did on our old 4-burner "builder's special").

I also love using my pot filler faucet. I can add the water directly to the pots as needed, as, and after I add ingredients. Yes, I know I could just fill a large measuring cup or other container with water, and just pour it into the pots, but I like the convenience, and I am not ashamed to admit, the "cool" factor of having and using it! :)

Here's my crosspost from the Slice of Life (VI?) thread in Home Dec:

With Rosh Hashanah only a week away, I realized I'd better get my chicken soup made (I make a huge batch--two 12 qt pots and one 10 qt pot bubbled away on my range yesterday, and then freeze it. I only freeze the liquid, so it keeps forever in the freezer, and is actually better the longer it "ages").

Here it is all packed up, ready for labels, and then freezer-bound:

DH calls it Liquid Gold! LOL

PS That blueberry pie is calling to me. It not only looks positively delectable, but picture-perfect!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

OB2B, the secret to pie crust (and biscuits) is an old phrase but true: "a light hand". Plus, ice cold water. I use the recipe out of my 1970 cookbook (it is packed away right now and I can't recall if it is Good Housekeeping or BH&G) and have always substituted butter for the last 1/4 cup of shortening. It makes the dough softer and a little more difficult to roll out if not really cold-- sometimes I just pat it into place.

I can't wait until I can get back to work in the kitchen; I might not be making any tomato jam this year at the rate I am going! Unless I can figure out how to do it in the microwave or toaster oven.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Picked up 2-1/2 pounds of San Marzanos yesterday at our fave farm market. They get brought to a boil then pureed and combined with crushed garlic, savory, thyme, basil, rosemary, sage, half a carrot, some salt and a small chunk of butter. That mixture only cooks 20 minutes. It's just finished the simmer and I wish I could convey the aroma. The tomatoes have been amazing this year.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Lucky you roc--I've never seen San Marzano's at our local mkts. I'll bet your sauce is divine!!!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is gorgeous stock !! Have you tried saving some to cook the next batch in ? That is the secret to DS1's wonderfulness. You always save your " starter" and use it to cook the next batch. He has some that is 7 yrs old. Only need a 1/2 tsp to flavor a whole dish. Awesomeness...

roc..that looks wonderful...wish we had Marzano's here...I have a friend in CA and they get them fresh all Summer. Lucky you. How was your vacation ? Drop me a line. c

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Gorgeous food, folks. We were just in Michigan and the blueberries were amazing this year. Also blackberries, which the kids went out and picked.

catmom, we should swap stock for tomatoes!

I was so lucky to find the SM's. But we are getting more and more of those treats since an increasing number of our farmers sell to restaurants in Manhattan. They are so meaty the 2-1/2 pounds made nearly 1 quart of sauce. I'm really feeling some Chicken Parm.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I love chicken parm, roc--hint, hint! :)

I usually don't make more soup until I've used up my entire freezer stash, but I can try to save some when we get to that point (to add to my next batch, C).

We only use this as soup, I don't use it as "stock" (for cooking). It's heavy on the root vegetable and dill flavor, which is how we like our chicken soup, but not so much for other dishes.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I have to ask again, I may have missed the answer when I did some time ago. What does "KAW" stand for????

Beautiful breads, food everyone.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Kitchen At Work

• annac54
    10 years ago

Also, occasionally you will see KIA = Kitchen In Action :)

Yummy food everyone.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

catmom -- you are always welcome! I just bought a dozen Kerr jars. Planning to snag a few more of the SMs before they're gone.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Yay!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow- I think we need a progressive dinner moving across the country.
    Trail - I am so impressed with your baking skills
    Williamsen - you will love that advantium.
    Gosh - so many others on here as well.

Well, we are having a banner peach year and I keep buying more peaches - Flaming Fury, Red Havens, Bellaire, and another variety this week.

I keep freezing to use in the VM but have made a few things - I didn't think to take a picture of the peach cobbler - but wow - I made one in the Wolf and then another day - made it in the Advantium - and they were both great.

I decided to make some peach jam - VM style (before the recall but should be fine with soft foods anyway) - Now for all of you experts - I never canned anything in my life but made a make shift canner from my pasta pot and it worked! I froze 6 jars and canned 6. The jam was amazing (and I usually under rate my cooking but a few friends tasted it and loved it)

4 lbs of peaches tucked into VM (skins popped off in hot water bath)

Pulsed VM on low setting - just enough to chop the peaches into smaller pieces - Chopped up peaches ready to simmer away...

Simmered for about an hour (added 1 lb of sugar and 2 TB of lemon juice at the beginning.

12 little jars all lined up 6 for the freezer and 6 with "popped lids" wow - it really worked!- note my "canner".

Now to find some of those breads - someday, I will learn how to bake real bread - thinking of attending a course at Zingerman's (local deli that has bread classes)

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh a2...that looks SO good ! I will link below to what you should get so you never again have to dip a veg or fruit in to boiling water to skin it ! My DS1 aka the Chef, clued me in on this. It is AMAZING. So much less work and it is perfect for peaches and tomatoes etc...no more mess with boiling water !! Wish you were closer we could have baking lessons....c

Here is a link that might be useful: serrated peeler

• whit461
    10 years ago

Wish I hadn't missed this thread. Last night DW made a home made lemon spinach Orzo soup with chicken in her Dutch oven. Tonight it was even better. Even in hot FL it was fresh and bright. I made a long French bagette with a simple dash of pecorino cheese on top for the soup.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Whit- that sounds awesome! How about a recipe.
    Trail- I might really retire and then have lots of flexibility as long as good bicycling for DH.
    I think I have that peeler - have to go check the drawers! Thanks for the tip!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a2..you work too hard :)

Yes whit..share the recipes and next time get pics ! :) c

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a2..you work too hard :)

Yes whit..share the recipes and next time get pics ! :) c

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Trail - Yup - I do and have to learn to stop this crazy work stuff so I can enjoy my kitchen. DH has 3 more work days left and hoping to finish off a few things at work and call it quits...
    Which serrated peeler do you use - there were a number of them in the links.
    Thanks

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have the OXO...be careful is my suggestion...it is VERY sharp !! There is a learning curve with it but it does a great job. c

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Thanks - I have a $10 coupon at Sur La Table as they just opened a store a mile+ down the street - How do I say - dangerous..
    I have some kind of peeler that might work - from Zyliss - my OXO is just the standard peeler.
    I am going to try a peach pie in about an hour - if it works - great - if not, will just pluck them in the hot water - with the current peach varieties, the skin just slides off.
    I never made a peach pie before - so hope it comes out OK.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I've never been much of a cook or baker and seldom do either anymore, but DD is home this weekend so made her favorite...banana bread. It is from this old cookbook from the 70's put out by the Junior League of Jackson, MS. Anything I've ever made from it has been delicious.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

DH and I bought a pint of blueberries yesterday at a local nursery (they sell produce during the summer, into the fall). I intended to use them to make blueberry pancakes, but decided to try Alex Hitz's berry cobbler recipe instead (it was his Pavlova recipe that I had made last month). The recipe is super easy, and only has 7 ingredients. You can use any berries you like, or a mix of berries, and you can even use frozen berries (Alex said so, right on Access Hollywood Live when he demo'd the recipe!).

I only had about 2+ cups worth of berries, so I halved the recipe, and baked it in an 8x8 cake pan instead of the larger size.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Amazing bread, jams and other goodies! So jealous....wish my kitchen was anywhere near ready to cook in. My rental house is incredibly frustrating and uninspiring to cook in so I barely try. Lovely lovely recipes you are all making!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Joaniepoanie - the Junior League cookbooks are my stand-by / go-to recipes, love, love, LOVE them! I do not have the Jackson MS cook-book but am heading off right now to order it:)

I will try the banana bread first. Thanks!!

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

Well I might get voted off the island for baking bread in a bread machine, but maybe I can get some extra credit for simultaneously baking bread and painting the laundry room.

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

And working on my new front door....

• kai615
    10 years ago

I wont vote you off the island Lucas. I use my bread machine all the time for a quick loaf. Hubby then complains that it is not as good as out of the oven, I then tell him to either deal with store bought or start needing himself ;) I think it is very good and like you I can get other stuff done.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lucas..the ingredients look great...what kind of flour is that ??? Looks like the bag my sprouted flour comes in...you are definitely forgiven for using a bread machine :) Love the door !!! c

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

oldbat---I was given Southern Sideboards by my sister in law who lived in Jackson at the time. I will look through it tonite and post some favorite recipes from it. The one she gave me was so beaten up and falling apart as was hers so I ordered new copies a few years ago for both of us. I think I had to get them from eBay as it is out of print. For years my husband, who travels almost every week, has picked up Junior League cookbooks from everywhere....I did donate some a few years ago I never used...but SS is my all time favorite.

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

Great Harvest Bakery has a location near me and sells whole wheat flour they grind fresh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Harvest

• rosie
    10 years ago

Well, down in coastal Florida's 100% humidity so DH can fish, I'm not baking bread, or anything else. Even a cool, predawn stroll by the water causes a "glow" in these conditions.

I did, however, try microwaving plums from the farmer's market with some cardamom and rose water, bit of sugar, touch of salt, courtesy of a suggestion on the Chowhounds forums. I regret no picture, but we really enjoyed it on yogurt so I pass it on. Nice summer breakfast.

Thanks for the fun posts, everyone. I don't feel guilty, much. The door is gorgeous, Lucas, and I also just headed off to order the cookbook but I'm also looking forward to your posts of some favorites, Joaniepoanie.

Trailrunner, the baking bug just hasn't bit hard, but I want you to know you did inspire me to a little trial via the "artisan bread in 5 minutes" technique, and I was thrilled with such success for so little. Enough to even contemplate trying just a little harder for even more, but that's for the cold weather. :)

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rosie..my SIL sent me a pic yesterday of her latest Sullivan bread. I sent her home a year ago with some starter and a day of lessons. She and her DH , my DH's brother, have taken off with lots of gorgeous breads. So go for it and report back with pics :)

Hope you are having lots of good fresh fish! Wish I was...c

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I have been enjoying this thread so much.. Always love TR's baked goods!

Here's my dinner prep- fresh amaranth greens from the garden that will get cooked with some chilli, cumin and coconut (that the white chunk in my mise en place) and served with red rice. I am loving my new prep area.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GW..I don't know about amaranth greens at all ! I know amaranth is a grain ??? Or at least that is what I thought. Will have to look it up. Lucky you to have such an interesting garden. Can we see a pic of it ? I love your prep area ! c

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

joaniepoanie - thanks, I ordered it! GWlolo - gorgeous, where's the rest of the reveal?!

• Sonnie
    10 years ago

Trailrunner, do you use "Convection" or regular Bake when baking your beautiful breads? I also have Miele ovens, and have mixed results with yeast breads.I plan to make your oatmeal bread this weekend. Thanks in advance.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sonnie I use convection for everything. I have never used the non-convection settings but once or twice when I first got the ovens 7 yrs ago. If you describe the mixed results perhaps I can help. I don't find that there is a problem when baking my breads. PLease let me know..don't want you to have a failure ! c

• Sonnie
    10 years ago

Thanks for replying, trailrunner. I use convection for most of my yeast breads, but quick breads and cakes seem to dry out and have inadequate rise at times. Regular bake gives better rise, but browning isn't as predictable. My Miele ovens are 2 1/2 yrs old, and seem to be accurate (temperature). Do you "rapid pre-heat"? Maybe that's the problem. I will try a longer preheat next time to optimize my chance of getting good rise and browning without over drying the product. Thanks in advance for your help.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sonnie, I don't know what "rapid pre-heat" means . All I do it turn on the oven to convection bake and change the temp to 350. I don't ever lower the temp due to convection. My understanding is that it means nothing unless you are baking something for a long time. As soon as the oven reaches temp I put in whatever I am baking. The only time I do a long preheat is if I am doing my artisinal breads and then I do preheat for 45 min-1 hr since I am using my cast iron pots or my steel baking stone...those need a good long pre-heat.

As an example of convection speeding up baking I messed up last night and didn't take out my roast chicken soon enough. I used convection roast and it was a 5# chicken. It was in at 375 and I left it too long...sigh...dumb. The oven roasts very well and I should have paid attn but had company and got side-tracked.

As far as quick breads drying out or not rising on convection I haven't had that happen. I always bake all quick breads at 350 for 45-1hr.15min...depends on size of pan and recipe. Usually 1hr. They always rise nicely and are very moist. I know in the past there have been complaints about the newer Miele ovens. Mine is 7 yrs old and rococco girl's is about that too. We have the same ovens. She never has a problem either.

I hope you get good results. PLease do let me know. c

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    10 years ago

Late to the party, but here's my kitchen last weekend, making and canning roasted tomato sauce.

Trailrunner, your breads are making me drool! Would love to have a loaf for my tomato and cheese sandwich today!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I really like pictures of kitchens, but these pictures of food are even more fabulous! The greens, the tomatoes, the breads, and Old bat's gorgeous family remind me that I'm improving my kitchen because it will help me better serve the people I love. The people you all love are very fortunate!

• Sonnie
    10 years ago

The Brown Sugar Oatmeal bread turned out great this weekend. Your tips for baking in my Miele helped so much. Turns out, the longer pre-heat time was the key! You are very generous to share your prized recipes; you remind of a man who teaches Spanish in our community for no fees. He's been doing this for many years, and it's his way of giving back. Thank you again.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

sonnie -- I also have a Miele oven, as Caroline said. I always preheat mine for at least 30 mins. It was a replacement oven and I intensively researched it before the purchase which included a long conversation with the then Miele consumer person. He said very clearly -- speaking to a prospective buyer -- that the oven needed to heat at least 30 mins to be fully up to temp.

Also, I tend to alternate between convection bake and intensive. I was using intensive for my breads which get noticeably darker in the same time on that setting. Occasionally I'll use it for baking with a very heavy batter.

Unfortunately, Miele's oven book is lame and not much help.

• Sonnie
    10 years ago

Thanks for adding information, rococogirl. The learning curve for the Miele induction cooktop has been a breeze compared to the ovens. I will experiment with intensive.( I do use that for pizzas.)

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Everything looks so wonderful, yummy! Is this what a new kitchen does?? :)