Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What a production...KAW !! please post your pics...

Posted by trailrunner (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 15:00

Starting a participatory thread. Anything happening in your kitchen ? Let us see. The use of appliances, sink(s) and countertops, utensils, storage of supplies, how has it all held up....what is good and what isn't ??? What are you doing with the abundance of produce this time of year ?

I have recently started baking for a local farmer's market. The orders are streaming in ! I am baking a couple days a week to try and keep up. One source needs at least 16 loaves a week and will likely want more than that. I have made my sunroom into a kitchen annex. Note the arrangement of the bookcase on the little table, a new bookcase for storage and repurposed maple butcher block table that I have had for decades. I love having the extra room. I can spread out in that direction and use the table and my soapstone counter and DH goes the other way and uses the island. Works great !

DH is making his pasta also for customers. This is 2# to fulfill orders. Here are a pics...

you know you are baking when you get 2# bags of yeast !

photo IMG_6482_zpse7322f1f.jpg

where is my dishwasher...he didn't show up for work :)

photo IMG_6483_zps98848207.jpg

pasta drying

photo IMG_6484_zpsd7edb0b6.jpg

cut and dried and ready to bag

photo IMG_6485_zps25794e75.jpg

16 boules of Sourdough !!

photo IMG_6481_zps78e4d495.jpg

the rest of the bounty...oatmeal bread and rolls, Challah, bagels, sourdough of 2 kinds, cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing, dinner rolls

photo IMG_6487_zpsf8c1f895.jpg

new baking annex :

photo IMG_6488_zpsd5811fe0.jpg

dinner rolls:

photo IMG_6489_zps41d27137.jpg

special order Challah for Rosh Hashanah

photo IMG_6490_zps4ee66288.jpg

oh my,....

photo IMG_6491_zps6b9ebc0b.jpg

Challah.

photo IMG_6492_zps97cbfb4d.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What a production...KAW !! please post your pics...

Keeping busy are you? LOL

Everything looks scrumptious! (and nary a pepper in sight--yay!)

o

2-lb. bags of yeast is serious breadmaking!!! Are you anywhere near the SF Bay Area? Two kinds of sourdough. With all those loaves of bread, what kind of oven space do you have?

o

Happy Rosh Hashana! Sorry we don't live near you! This all looks so wonderful.

o

I can only imagine how wonderful your house smells. I sometimes bake one loaf just to make mine smell good. You must have neighbors knocking at your door!

o

DH, the DSes, and some friends went fishing in the Gulf last week. I added red drum to my cioppino.

o

KD!! That is amazing !! Oh I can just taste it from here. We should get together and I will provide the breads for sopping up that sauce :) YUM !!

Thank you cat..I won't post dinner...pasta and...peppers !! :)

Linelle it is only a little more to get the 2# over the little jars in the store. I do alot of sourdough with my wild yeast starter but customers do like their commercial yeast breads and they are a lot faster for me to make so I do both. A compromise. I wish I was near you...I am in AL LOL...a little far away. Too bad. I have double Miele ovens and they have 3 racks each so I can do a lot at once.

Kali...nope they never seem to notice...but other folks everywhere in town are sure beginning to notice..I am a baking fool :) c

I hope more will post pics...please...it is so fun to see how your kitchens work c

o

My kitchen is BARELY functioning, but my Sunday and Monday was spent making every type of peach thing I could. We have peach maple vanilla jam, all fruit (no sugar) peach nectarine jam, all fruit peach mango jam, peach pepper jam, of course plenty of straight up low sugar peach jam and about 10 jars of grape jelly for good measure. 47 jars. Yes, I am giving some away to family, my kids eat plenty of PB&J, but I still have apples to work through next month.

o

The Wednesday and Thursday were spent making 23 pints and 2 1/2 pints of chunky tomato basil sauce, 18 pints of sliced peaches, and hubby's favorite- 10 pints of sliced peaches in scotch.

All this in a kitchen with not one cabinet, a folding table for a counter (so not ergonomic), a utility sink, no DW (yeah hand washing and boiling to sterilize jars), and sub-floors. We do have a fairly nice pantry closet with no doors on it yet though to store all the canned goodies. Boy what I will do when my kitchen is done!

----And I painted the trim in the kitchen today -- we are doing it all DIY so we do a bit a day.

o

Attempting chicken with stuffing in the Advantium tonight. We don't use soup, just stuffing and boneless breast. Trying the boneless chicken setting, hopefully it works.

Lesson for next time: start the veggies first, it only said 9 minutes and asparagus takes a bit to steam :-)

o

kali...I am ON MY WAY...your jam toppings for my bread...we could be a team :) YUM ~where do you get all the fruit and vegs ????

Williamson...that looks devine..please post when done and show the results. So you make the stuffing per package directions and then put the chicken over it and let the juices go in to the stuffing ? c

o

I am very jealous of the Advantium Williamson. I had no room for a wall oven and was going to settle for the OTR version of the Advantium, but they did not get nearly the good reviews of the wall oven version. Do you love it?

The veggies come from my garden trailrunner. In the future the fruit will come from our property also (trees are not planted yet we can't seem to decide on where we want our mini orchard), but for the time being we do a pick your own a local orchard. When you pick over 50 lbs the price goes down dramatically.

o

I am very jealous of the Advantium Williamson. I had no room for a wall oven and was going to settle for the OTR version of the Advantium, but they did not get nearly the good reviews of the wall oven version. Do you love it?

The veggies come from my garden trailrunner. In the future the fruit will come from our property also (trees are not planted yet we can't seem to decide on where we want our mini orchard), but for the time being we do a pick your own at a local orchard. When you pick over 50 lbs the price goes down dramatically.

o

Trail..I think you need to open your own bakery called...what else....The Baking Annex!

So admire everyone's cooking/baking skills!

o

Loving the Advantium so far. Tonight was a mixed success. It was good, but we are still learning. It was I think 18 minutes total, but split up because after the first 12 it tested at temp, but we realized after plating it was -not- done. I'm not sure we used the right preset, but in the end it was good and less than 1/3 the normal time.

I use 1 pack stuffing made according to direction and 2 trimmed boneless breasts. Add enough stuffing to cover the bottom of the dish, then chicken, then the rest of the stuffing. Normally I bake it for 45-60 min at 425, depending on how big the chicken is and how long it takes me to remember it's time to check. When DH was vegetarian, I used two "boats" of nonstick foil and used a portobello for him.

o
RE: What a production..KAW !! please post your pics...

Loving the Advantium so far. Tonight was a mixed success. It was good, but we are still learning. It was I think 18 minutes total, but split up because after the first 12 it tested at temp, but we realized after plating it was -not- done. I'm not sure we used the right preset, but in the end it was good and less than 1/3 the normal time.

I use 1 pack stuffing made according to direction and 2 trimmed boneless breasts. Add enough stuffing to cover the bottom of the dish, then chicken, then the rest of the stuffing. Normally I bake it for 45-60 min at 425, depending on how big the chicken is and how long it takes me to remember it's time to check. When DH was vegetarian, I used two "boats" of nonstick foil and used a portobello for him.

o

Yum! Everything looks so good!
I like to bake! I don't make as much bread as you do, Trailrunner, but I do like to bake bread. And pies. My kids love my cookies.

Can't get photobucket to work. Will try to upload photos from my phone. :(

o

Maybe it is my iPad not working right. Sorry about the extra posts....

This post was edited by heidihausfrau on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 21:59

o

Yum! Everything looks so good!
I like to bake! I don't make as much bread as you do, Trailrunner, but I do like to bake bread. And pies. My kids love my cookies.

Can't get photobucket to work. Will try to upload photos from my phone. :(

o

Trailrunner - Gorgeous, gorgeous, mouth watering loaves!

One happy old bat here... tonight, we hosted my dear MIL's 90th birthday party. Fortunately for me (since I love entertaining) our home is a good mid point for all. You know how after some parties, you wake up the next morning still smiling.... well, this was one of those. DH and I cleaned up and everything looked so nice, I took a few add'l pictures. So, not so much KAW cooking (2 appetizers, 2 cakes) but some lovely KAW entertaining and family time.

Here's the birthday girl (I know she wouldn't mind me posting a picture except she'd expect a better one - she is gorgeous and looks like she's in her mid 70's; this is not one of her best but I only had a chance to take a few pictures) and look, there's me in the mirror :)

Our grandson on the right and two great nephews:

Afterwards, glasses all cleaned (fortunately some one thought to bring champagne):

Spice cake and chocolate cake left overs:

Serving table

I'm still smiling....

o

3rd attempt
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Blueberry pie with fresh Michigan berries.
Tomatoes and basil from my garden

o

heidihausfrau - triple yum! What an especially gorgeous looking pie. (Pie crust - my nemesis...).

o

kali...I wish we had anything like that here...sigh..I used to do pick your own blackberries but there isn't much else...the blueberries were a bust this year as well as peaches...I shall enjoy your pics...and perhaps a road trip to your home :) You are a marvel !!!!

Williamsem that looks so good !! I will make a note of it and the 'real ' times as I have no "advantage" ....:) Will have to do real time ! I am so glad you posted.

Joanie...you are very sweet...it is called...Caroline's Bread....don't think a brick and mortar is ever going to happen...too old to start something so hard...almost 63 ! Young at heart but I love my sleep after all the years as an RN. LOL !

old bat...what a sweet sweet picture...reminds me of my Mom. I love everything about your post...truly...thank you.

heidi...you send your address too and I am on my way ! whoa...what yum pics...I bet that pie was amazing. As noted above our blueberries were a bust this year. But....I have 10# in Wisconsin that a friend is holding for me in his freezer !! I will get those and Door County Cherries in Feb !!

Please keep posting ...this is such a great thread...love to see KAW>..Kitchens At Work...how better to show that we DO use these spaces !! c

o

I agree with you Trailrunner. Old bay's pictures remind me of my mom,too. I sure do miss her. She would have loved my new kitchen!
And I am sorry to hear about your berries and peaches. My son just ate a peach and had to hold a paper towel under his chin because it was so juicy!

Old bat--I took a picture of that pie because it was my best one ever! I usually struggle with the crust as well. When the crust turns out ugly I just say "that's how you can tell it is homemade!"

Come on everybody! More pictures!

o

Oldbat, love that tile!

Trail. Do you take Paypal? And can you make me a miche? : )

o

heidi...I agree...more pictures !! Surely everyone is cooking up a storm ...we have SO many new kitchens...grab your camera and snap a photo...a slice of pie or a slice of your life...( see the thread on Home Decoration that is now in its 6th part !! )

Mnt...ha...I do take paypal :) c

o

Wow, everyone's KAW looks amazing! Trailrunner, your bread looks so delicious. I can see why your new business is thriving. I would snap up a couple of loaves in a heartbeat. Kali615, your jam looks so yummy. It makes me reminisce childhood days eating home made jam at my grandmother's house.

o

I love having my Wolf 6-burner range (AG), especially when making large batches of soup for ex. Even when I'm not using all the burners, the extra space is invaluable. I am able to cook the soup in three large stockpots across the three front burners (two 12 qt, and one 10 qt), with each pot centered on its burner (not half off the burners, hanging over the front of the range like they did on our old 4-burner "builder's special").

I also love using my pot filler faucet. I can add the water directly to the pots as needed, as, and after I add ingredients. Yes, I know I could just fill a large measuring cup or other container with water, and just pour it into the pots, but I like the convenience, and I am not ashamed to admit, the "cool" factor of having and using it! :)

Here's my crosspost from the Slice of Life (VI?) thread in Home Dec:

With Rosh Hashanah only a week away, I realized I'd better get my chicken soup made (I make a huge batch--two 12 qt pots and one 10 qt pot bubbled away on my range yesterday, and then freeze it. I only freeze the liquid, so it keeps forever in the freezer, and is actually better the longer it "ages").

Here it is all packed up, ready for labels, and then freezer-bound:

photo D4FAFDD6-CD5D-44A7-90FB-68998D742CDA-10649-0000049AFADD8ED4_zpse8e9a4cc.jpg

DH calls it Liquid Gold! LOL

PS That blueberry pie is calling to me. It not only looks positively delectable, but picture-perfect!

o

OB2B, the secret to pie crust (and biscuits) is an old phrase but true: "a light hand". Plus, ice cold water. I use the recipe out of my 1970 cookbook (it is packed away right now and I can't recall if it is Good Housekeeping or BH&G) and have always substituted butter for the last 1/4 cup of shortening. It makes the dough softer and a little more difficult to roll out if not really cold-- sometimes I just pat it into place.

I can't wait until I can get back to work in the kitchen; I might not be making any tomato jam this year at the rate I am going! Unless I can figure out how to do it in the microwave or toaster oven.

o

Picked up 2-1/2 pounds of San Marzanos yesterday at our fave farm market. They get brought to a boil then pureed and combined with crushed garlic, savory, thyme, basil, rosemary, sage, half a carrot, some salt and a small chunk of butter. That mixture only cooks 20 minutes. It's just finished the simmer and I wish I could convey the aroma. The tomatoes have been amazing this year.

o

Lucky you roc--I've never seen San Marzano's at our local mkts. I'll bet your sauce is divine!!!

o

That is gorgeous stock !! Have you tried saving some to cook the next batch in ? That is the secret to DS1's wonderfulness. You always save your " starter" and use it to cook the next batch. He has some that is 7 yrs old. Only need a 1/2 tsp to flavor a whole dish. Awesomeness...

roc..that looks wonderful...wish we had Marzano's here...I have a friend in CA and they get them fresh all Summer. Lucky you. How was your vacation ? Drop me a line. c

o

Gorgeous food, folks. We were just in Michigan and the blueberries were amazing this year. Also blackberries, which the kids went out and picked.

catmom, we should swap stock for tomatoes!

I was so lucky to find the SM's. But we are getting more and more of those treats since an increasing number of our farmers sell to restaurants in Manhattan. They are so meaty the 2-1/2 pounds made nearly 1 quart of sauce. I'm really feeling some Chicken Parm.

o

I love chicken parm, roc--hint, hint! :)

I usually don't make more soup until I've used up my entire freezer stash, but I can try to save some when we get to that point (to add to my next batch, C).

We only use this as soup, I don't use it as "stock" (for cooking). It's heavy on the root vegetable and dill flavor, which is how we like our chicken soup, but not so much for other dishes.

o

I have to ask again, I may have missed the answer when I did some time ago. What does "KAW" stand for????

Beautiful breads, food everyone.

o

Kitchen At Work

o

Also, occasionally you will see KIA = Kitchen In Action :)

Yummy food everyone.

o

catmom -- you are always welcome! I just bought a dozen Kerr jars. Planning to snag a few more of the SMs before they're gone.

o

Yay!

o

Wow- I think we need a progressive dinner moving across the country.
Trail - I am so impressed with your baking skills
Williamsen - you will love that advantium.
Gosh - so many others on here as well.

Well, we are having a banner peach year and I keep buying more peaches - Flaming Fury, Red Havens, Bellaire, and another variety this week.

I keep freezing to use in the VM but have made a few things - I didn't think to take a picture of the peach cobbler - but wow - I made one in the Wolf and then another day - made it in the Advantium - and they were both great.

I decided to make some peach jam - VM style (before the recall but should be fine with soft foods anyway) - Now for all of you experts - I never canned anything in my life but made a make shift canner from my pasta pot and it worked! I froze 6 jars and canned 6. The jam was amazing (and I usually under rate my cooking but a few friends tasted it and loved it)

4 lbs of peaches tucked into VM (skins popped off in hot water bath)
 photo photo1_zps35fb66a8.jpg
Pulsed VM on low setting - just enough to chop the peaches into smaller pieces - Chopped up peaches ready to simmer away...
 photo photo2_zps2704d0be.jpg
Simmered for about an hour (added 1 lb of sugar and 2 TB of lemon juice at the beginning.
 photo photo4_zps7aef79f2.jpg
12 little jars all lined up 6 for the freezer and 6 with "popped lids" wow - it really worked!- note my "canner".
 photo photo5_zps1bc9c184.jpg
Now to find some of those breads - someday, I will learn how to bake real bread - thinking of attending a course at Zingerman's (local deli that has bread classes)

o

Oh a2...that looks SO good ! I will link below to what you should get so you never again have to dip a veg or fruit in to boiling water to skin it ! My DS1 aka the Chef, clued me in on this. It is AMAZING. So much less work and it is perfect for peaches and tomatoes etc...no more mess with boiling water !! Wish you were closer we could have baking lessons....c

Here is a link that might be useful: serrated peeler

o

Wish I hadn't missed this thread. Last night DW made a home made lemon spinach Orzo soup with chicken in her Dutch oven. Tonight it was even better. Even in hot FL it was fresh and bright. I made a long French bagette with a simple dash of pecorino cheese on top for the soup.

o

Whit- that sounds awesome! How about a recipe.
Trail- I might really retire and then have lots of flexibility as long as good bicycling for DH.
I think I have that peeler - have to go check the drawers! Thanks for the tip!

o

a2..you work too hard :)

Yes whit..share the recipes and next time get pics ! :) c

o

a2..you work too hard :)

Yes whit..share the recipes and next time get pics ! :) c

o

Trail - Yup - I do and have to learn to stop this crazy work stuff so I can enjoy my kitchen. DH has 3 more work days left and hoping to finish off a few things at work and call it quits...
Which serrated peeler do you use - there were a number of them in the links.
Thanks

o

I have the OXO...be careful is my suggestion...it is VERY sharp !! There is a learning curve with it but it does a great job. c

o

Thanks - I have a $10 coupon at Sur La Table as they just opened a store a mile+ down the street - How do I say - dangerous..
I have some kind of peeler that might work - from Zyliss - my OXO is just the standard peeler.
I am going to try a peach pie in about an hour - if it works - great - if not, will just pluck them in the hot water - with the current peach varieties, the skin just slides off.
I never made a peach pie before - so hope it comes out OK.

o

I've never been much of a cook or baker and seldom do either anymore, but DD is home this weekend so made her favorite...banana bread. It is from this old cookbook from the 70's put out by the Junior League of Jackson, MS. Anything I've ever made from it has been delicious.

photo 4EB9DED1-D816-4215-989D-6317B7EAB476-152-0000002E102C942A_zps62ef664c.jpg

o

DH and I bought a pint of blueberries yesterday at a local nursery (they sell produce during the summer, into the fall). I intended to use them to make blueberry pancakes, but decided to try Alex Hitz's berry cobbler recipe instead (it was his Pavlova recipe that I had made last month). The recipe is super easy, and only has 7 ingredients. You can use any berries you like, or a mix of berries, and you can even use frozen berries (Alex said so, right on Access Hollywood Live when he demo'd the recipe!).

I only had about 2+ cups worth of berries, so I halved the recipe, and baked it in an 8x8 cake pan instead of the larger size.

o

Amazing bread, jams and other goodies! So jealous....wish my kitchen was anywhere near ready to cook in. My rental house is incredibly frustrating and uninspiring to cook in so I barely try. Lovely lovely recipes you are all making!

o

Joaniepoanie - the Junior League cookbooks are my stand-by / go-to recipes, love, love, LOVE them! I do not have the Jackson MS cook-book but am heading off right now to order it:)

I will try the banana bread first. Thanks!!

o

Well I might get voted off the island for baking bread in a bread machine, but maybe I can get some extra credit for simultaneously baking bread and painting the laundry room.

o
RE: What a production...KAW !! please post your pic

And working on my new front door....

o

I wont vote you off the island Lucas. I use my bread machine all the time for a quick loaf. Hubby then complains that it is not as good as out of the oven, I then tell him to either deal with store bought or start needing himself ;) I think it is very good and like you I can get other stuff done.

o

lucas..the ingredients look great...what kind of flour is that ??? Looks like the bag my sprouted flour comes in...you are definitely forgiven for using a bread machine :) Love the door !!! c

o

oldbat---I was given Southern Sideboards by my sister in law who lived in Jackson at the time. I will look through it tonite and post some favorite recipes from it. The one she gave me was so beaten up and falling apart as was hers so I ordered new copies a few years ago for both of us. I think I had to get them from eBay as it is out of print. For years my husband, who travels almost every week, has picked up Junior League cookbooks from everywhere....I did donate some a few years ago I never used...but SS is my all time favorite.

o

Great Harvest Bakery has a location near me and sells whole wheat flour they grind fresh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Harvest

o

Well, down in coastal Florida's 100% humidity so DH can fish, I'm not baking bread, or anything else. Even a cool, predawn stroll by the water causes a "glow" in these conditions.

I did, however, try microwaving plums from the farmer's market with some cardamom and rose water, bit of sugar, touch of salt, courtesy of a suggestion on the Chowhounds forums. I regret no picture, but we really enjoyed it on yogurt so I pass it on. Nice summer breakfast.

Thanks for the fun posts, everyone. I don't feel guilty, much. The door is gorgeous, Lucas, and I also just headed off to order the cookbook but I'm also looking forward to your posts of some favorites, Joaniepoanie.

Trailrunner, the baking bug just hasn't bit hard, but I want you to know you did inspire me to a little trial via the "artisan bread in 5 minutes" technique, and I was thrilled with such success for so little. Enough to even contemplate trying just a little harder for even more, but that's for the cold weather. :)

o

rosie..my SIL sent me a pic yesterday of her latest Sullivan bread. I sent her home a year ago with some starter and a day of lessons. She and her DH , my DH's brother, have taken off with lots of gorgeous breads. So go for it and report back with pics :)

Hope you are having lots of good fresh fish! Wish I was...c

o

I have been enjoying this thread so much.. Always love TR's baked goods!

Here's my dinner prep- fresh amaranth greens from the garden that will get cooked with some chilli, cumin and coconut (that the white chunk in my mise en place) and served with red rice. I am loving my new prep area.

o

GW..I don't know about amaranth greens at all ! I know amaranth is a grain ??? Or at least that is what I thought. Will have to look it up. Lucky you to have such an interesting garden. Can we see a pic of it ? I love your prep area ! c

o

joaniepoanie - thanks, I ordered it! GWlolo - gorgeous, where's the rest of the reveal?!

o

Trailrunner, do you use "Convection" or regular Bake when baking your beautiful breads? I also have Miele ovens, and have mixed results with yeast breads.I plan to make your oatmeal bread this weekend. Thanks in advance.

o

Sonnie I use convection for everything. I have never used the non-convection settings but once or twice when I first got the ovens 7 yrs ago. If you describe the mixed results perhaps I can help. I don't find that there is a problem when baking my breads. PLease let me know..don't want you to have a failure ! c

o

Thanks for replying, trailrunner. I use convection for most of my yeast breads, but quick breads and cakes seem to dry out and have inadequate rise at times. Regular bake gives better rise, but browning isn't as predictable. My Miele ovens are 2 1/2 yrs old, and seem to be accurate (temperature). Do you "rapid pre-heat"? Maybe that's the problem. I will try a longer preheat next time to optimize my chance of getting good rise and browning without over drying the product. Thanks in advance for your help.

o

Sonnie, I don't know what "rapid pre-heat" means . All I do it turn on the oven to convection bake and change the temp to 350. I don't ever lower the temp due to convection. My understanding is that it means nothing unless you are baking something for a long time. As soon as the oven reaches temp I put in whatever I am baking. The only time I do a long preheat is if I am doing my artisinal breads and then I do preheat for 45 min-1 hr since I am using my cast iron pots or my steel baking stone...those need a good long pre-heat.

As an example of convection speeding up baking I messed up last night and didn't take out my roast chicken soon enough. I used convection roast and it was a 5# chicken. It was in at 375 and I left it too long...sigh...dumb. The oven roasts very well and I should have paid attn but had company and got side-tracked.

As far as quick breads drying out or not rising on convection I haven't had that happen. I always bake all quick breads at 350 for 45-1hr.15min...depends on size of pan and recipe. Usually 1hr. They always rise nicely and are very moist. I know in the past there have been complaints about the newer Miele ovens. Mine is 7 yrs old and rococco girl's is about that too. We have the same ovens. She never has a problem either.

I hope you get good results. PLease do let me know. c

o

Late to the party, but here's my kitchen last weekend, making and canning roasted tomato sauce.

Trailrunner, your breads are making me drool! Would love to have a loaf for my tomato and cheese sandwich today!

o

I really like pictures of kitchens, but these pictures of food are even more fabulous! The greens, the tomatoes, the breads, and Old bat's gorgeous family remind me that I'm improving my kitchen because it will help me better serve the people I love. The people you all love are very fortunate!

o

The Brown Sugar Oatmeal bread turned out great this weekend. Your tips for baking in my Miele helped so much. Turns out, the longer pre-heat time was the key! You are very generous to share your prized recipes; you remind of a man who teaches Spanish in our community for no fees. He's been doing this for many years, and it's his way of giving back. Thank you again.

o

sonnie -- I also have a Miele oven, as Caroline said. I always preheat mine for at least 30 mins. It was a replacement oven and I intensively researched it before the purchase which included a long conversation with the then Miele consumer person. He said very clearly -- speaking to a prospective buyer -- that the oven needed to heat at least 30 mins to be fully up to temp.

Also, I tend to alternate between convection bake and intensive. I was using intensive for my breads which get noticeably darker in the same time on that setting. Occasionally I'll use it for baking with a very heavy batter.

Unfortunately, Miele's oven book is lame and not much help.

o

Thanks for adding information, rococogirl. The learning curve for the Miele induction cooktop has been a breeze compared to the ovens. I will experiment with intensive.( I do use that for pizzas.)

o

Everything looks so wonderful, yummy! Is this what a new kitchen does?? :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here