Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to combine finishes (faucet, pulls, etc)

Posted by strayer (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 14:58

Hello, about to remodel kitchen. I've decided on and purchased most of the products. I am shopping for my faucet right now. It seems like a lot of people do the brushed fiinishes, but it turns out I like a shiny finish. I'll probably get the Delta Trinsic in chrome or something similar.

Now when it comes to pulls and knobs does that faucet choice mean those have to be shiny also? I will have white painted shaker cabinets, antique brown granite on perimeter; white macaubus quartzie island with dark cabinets there. I don't want dark pulls on the white cabinets, so I guess they have to be in the silver family.

Also there are going to be pendant lights and that is where there might be some rubbed bronze, over the island.

I'm unsure of how to cobmine finishes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to combine finishes (faucet, pulls, etc)

No, you don't have to match your sink faucet. Being that it's very sparkly in chrome, you could do something less shiny on the cabinets to make it sparkle more. You might also look for hardware that has just a touch of chrome/shiny detail to it. Maybe a lighter warm finish that would pick up on the browns but contrast the faucet some to highlight it. Antique or brushed brass?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 16:12

o

Personally, when selecting hardware and fixtures, I like to stay in the same color "family" - i.e., all silver/black or all gold/brown.

So....

Silver: pewter, nickel, iron, chrome, stainless steel, black, white
Gold: brass, gold, bronze, yellow, brown

(My satin nickel faucets look silver, not yellow - I think some people here have said their nickel looks a bit yellow???)

With your cabinet and counter colors, you could go with either the silver or gold family.

In my kitchen, I have a "silver" mix: satin/brushed nickel faucets & soap dispensers, antique iron hardware, pewter pendants. I also have some black accessories and some stainless steel accessories on my counters. (My cabinets are cherry with black counters.)

[I'm not a fan of brass/gold, so I did not use it in my kitchen - but, that's a personal preference. Many people like brass/gold/yellow.]

o

I have ORB pulls and pendants but SS faucet, sink, and appliances. sayde has shiny chrome faucet and antique brass latches and pulls on the cabs. In both our kitchens, the cab hardware works with the cab finish, and the faucet is related to the sink. I don't think your pulls have to be shiny if the faucet is chrome.

To choose my cab hardware, I bought samples of various finishes and styles from local big box, held them up to my door sample, then returned them. Or bring the door sample to big box, get some knobs, and then go over to Plumbing and hold up the door and knob near a chrome faucet. If you can't visualize these things well - as I can't - actually holding them up really helps. You might be surprised at what you like.

o

Thanks! I will use the "big box / hold up samples" strategy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here