Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigds01

Online kitchen designer

bigds01
10 years ago

Does anyone know if there kitchen designers that you can work with remotely on-line? I think we will go with one of the midwest manufacturers for cabinets but they don't do design services.

Comments (8)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

I used to do this locally, but couldn't make a living doing it. There are VERY few unaffiliated KD's around for that very same reason. 99% will be affiliated with a showroom or box store or remodel contractor.

There are darn few designers of any variety that will do a long distance design. There are just too many risks. It all depends on the local contractor and the communication between the contractor, designer, and customer. It's hard enough when all 3 are in the same location!

So, I'd have to say that you are asking for a one in a million combination here. You'd be better off seeking the local services of a design professional. And personally, if a cabinet line isn't in a local design shop, I'd want to know why. Most reputable companies will be carried by someone in a metro area within 250 miles of you.

• bigds01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So now I feel a little silly. Do I hire a kitchen designer and they handle ordering the cabinets as well? I have always done my own sourcing since I have gotten really good prices.

Also, I should mention that I am in the NYC area if that matters for a designer.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Apologies if I made you feel silly, don't understand why?you shouldn't. Perhaps I misunderstood your original question. You asked for a designer- why, what are you looking for?
    You can work with the folks on this forum to work out the design concept, and handle sourcing and ordering yourself. You deal with the details.

While margins are higher in the immediate NYC area dealers include design services along with product you have to save an awful lot to cover the cost of an independent KD. You will at least find more KD's there than most places.

• bigds01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The issue with the kitchen is it is small in an antique home. Reconfiguring isn't an option, but I would like ideas on what to do with the space.

Should I just post photos on this site?

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

They'll offer ideas- that's what they do around here- help each other go it alone.
    Read the sticky new to kitchens and check in the FAQ about posting a layout- they'll want a floor plan along with the pics.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Actually read the "new to kitchens" thread that is posted by buehl. The links in the sticky are dead. Buehls is up to date.

Here is a link that might be useful: new to kitchens

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

One thing that you may not know is that the Kitchen Designer's fee is built into any kitchen design shops costs when you buy cabinets from them. That's how they are able to offer "free" design services. You may need to pay a retainer to get started, or a design fee if you choose to not buy cabinets from them, but there usually is no "extra" fee. If you show up with a design already figured out, you'll still pay the same price, so you might as well get the free input from the designer.