Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert dream, kosmos and saturnia pictures with mosaic.

Posted by jjaazzy (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 14:53

Going nuts trying to pick a counter top that will work. Anyone have pictures of kitchens using these stones? I am looking for a slick modern space, my cabinets are ikea abstract, very white and shiny.
My issue is, desert dream will look great with my teak dining table and walnut furniture in DR and the waterfall edge will tie in nicely with crema marfil tile flooring. I am stuck on the backsplash with this choice as I want very modern. I think the backsplash will have to be cream which I would not be happy with. Most modern spaces go for a solid black, grey or white no movement then you can go bold with backsplash.
Then there are the other two, kosmic and saturnian, This tens to be more neutral in color and the mosaic choice I think would be much easier. But worried about it holding up in a busy kitchen. Some have told me once installed it will be fine but still worried about buying a problem.

I could go with the white or charcoal quartz counter but seems a shame to miss out on a fabulous stone.

Then there is dynamic blue which has pretty movement, looks grey to me but worried it will look very blue in the end.

Sorry for the rattling confusion, pictures and suggestions welcome. I have been sliding past so many pictures on the iPad that I am now dizzy! Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert dream, kosmos and saturnia pictures with mosaic.

I created this board for someone else (jodigus) but it might provide some ideas for you. The granite in this pic is Sedna, which is a cousin of the granites you mention. I liked the idea of a metallic backsplash without any pattern. The metallics shown in the pic below are metal laminates from Chemetal (http://www.chemetal.com/).

From left to right:
Satin golden bronze
Polished solid brass
Satin smoked chrome
Oiled bronze aluminum
Brushed black aluminum
Satin bronze aluminum
Satin gold aluminum
Brushed stainless steel

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread about backsplash for Sedna granite

o

That granite is beautiful. To me the black looks the best. My kitchen is in the back corner and I think the it would become a black hole, infact I have dark areas now and I have drywall. Oh I just can't pull the trigger. I am leaning now towards saturina which is similar to kosmos, at least that is my take on it, and dynamic blue, all of which I can put a white / stainless mix mosaic and have an easier time. I love the desert dream but I think I would get stuck with beige bs and that's a no go.

o

The granite yard guy mentioned to me that Kosmus (Cosmos) is rather soft. In fact, it scratched quite readily on the edge with a key, which other types did not. So, something to consider. My fabricator has had customers for Cosmos, and they weren't that happy with it -- chips easily on the edge.

Similar appearing granite may not have that characteristic, so might be a better choice.

o

Atto, I had heard the same about it being fragile, but they said for the fabicstor it would be a problem, I had not heard it would scratch. I am glad you mentioned it I will try and do a test towards the edge of the slab. I am concerned about it being fragile I don't want to worry about people coming into help in kitchen and have to worry about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here