Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kylady7

Kitchen Remodel #2 Post

kylady7
10 years ago

OK..I will now post pictures and give you some idea of what I will be doing with my New Kitchen Remodel. As I said I had posted this before but think it got lost under the title I had put it in. First of all I am so Excited!! We have lived in this house for 30 yrs, the house was built in the 50's and the cabinets have never been replaced..Do I need to say more? LOL....We have redone every room except the kitchen and was waiting to be able to do a Complete redo of the Kitchen / Den....We had planned to add on to the small den and have a open concept Kitchen / Great Room (with raised ceilings) with a partial basement under the new addition. Seems the time nor budget was never right and guess I was stubborn, just didn't want to do anything if we couldn't do it All!..I of course over the years have painted a few times walls and cabinets, , put in a Black Leather Formica counter top that actually looked fairly good for years, until DH put a hot skillet full of grease on it...now it's a mess! And have did some sprucing up with new tile floor a few years ago but that's it! Anyway because of our age and health we have decided to nix what we have dreamed about for years and go ahead and do a Kitchen Remodel....at least I will have a updated kitchen that is both functional and lovely to look at! If you have never struggled with old cabinets that doesn't close well, with with blind spots that can hardly be reached, with drawers that are forever sticking I could go on and on....believe me you haven't missed a thing!
As this remodel begins to unfold and goes on and on I know I will have lots of Questions and need lot of help...But for now will Post Pictures and give a brief description of what each consists of:

This is looking into my Small U Kitchen AFTER the Remodel... ....Right now the stove is where the Dishwasher will be on the left side and the sink is where the stove will be. We are also closing up 24" of a 60" window over the sink on the right side (that looks out into an enclosed glassed entry porch) to accommodate the corner wall cabinet. The wall where the stove is now will be taken down from ceiling to floor and a 37" snack bar will be put there...this will help open the kitchen up to the small den. I will have one cabinet over the dishwasher for glasses, cups etc.
The Back Wall is 108" and the left wall including the bar is 127".... the right wall with the Ref is the same127".
The part of the kitchen not showing is the end wall with three windows and a very small table sitting in front of them. There is a very small pantry closet at one end of the table and on the other side a small short cabinet that I use to store potatoes and onions in the bottom doors and the top doors I keep snacks in. On top I just use decorative items. I have a hanging lamp over the table which will be changed out. My Entire Kitchen is 9 feet wide and 16 1/2 feet long.
I will also have frosted glass put into the two upper corner cabinets later.
Ref side....I have 30"wide drawers for pots and pans. The other small 12" cabinet will either be drawers or a pull out. I can either put the pullout on left side of the stove
(cabinet in picture looks bigger than it really is next to the stove) and drawers next to Ref..Or switch them...Haven't decided yet..Any suggestions?
There is a Lazy Susan in the corner of this side and the right corner of the stove. There is also a 3" spice pullout next to the right side of the stove. I tried to use every inch of space I could!

This is the side we are removing the wall to accommodate the snack bar and open the kitchen up..this was our only choice..Would have liked to have opened the entire kitchen but because of very little wall space in the den couldn't do it. There will be a SS under mount sink and will be using oil rubbed bronze faucet to match the hardware on my Antique Cream Cabinets. ****** I have a shelve with Crown Molding that matches the cabinets, going between the cabinets on either sided of the window...BUT I don't know IF I want that look or had rather just leave it plain without anything. I do want a Pendant Hanging down over the sink and was told I could do that with the shelf if I wanted to...Just not sure How that will look? Please Help me here!!!

Birdseye View
This is the layout and dimensions . I plan to have my cabinet guy open up the under sink cabinet right side where the corner space is....so I can store things that I only use once or twice a yr.

My Cabinets are: Antique White (Creamy) Hardware will be Oil Rubbed Bronze as will my faucet. I also mentioned in the previous post about my Granite Selection...and which one to go with. I now have to choose my floor....as I said in another post Do Not want Tile or any Hard Surface...I have had two back surgeries and cannot bear the hardness underfoot. I am thinking of doing a good grade laminate tile ...But not sure of the color....Should I do a dark Cream or Darker?
I have thought about Wood...but can't do the wood on into the den and it would really need to be. I also have wood in the dining room that has a door into the kitchen..it is very old and would be hard to match....so felt doing something different than wood would be the best?
I also have to decide on the ceiling, under cabinets, pendant and over table lighting. Colors for the wall and wood work....whether to put my white crown molding back up or leave it off? And once granite is decided on...The Back Splash....and on and on....but those choices will be done later.
The contractor is suppose to be here the first of next week, hoping it works out....
Once I post the pictures of Before/During and After....Everyone will understand where I am coming from for sure.
.So sorry for making this so long...But so looking forward to everyone's thoughts and idea. I am open for any and all! thanks

Comments (9)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your layout post needs to be larger. I clicked on it, went to photobucket, click again but it got smaller not larger. I have had this issue with photobucket myself and don't know how to fix it.

Have you read the "new to kitchens..." thread posted by buehl that is usually on page 1 or 2? It will give you tons of info on planning a kitchen. It will also tell you what you need to post to get help for your layout.

Also showing a house layout or at least the surrounding rooms is helpful.

Maybe try to not keep starting new threads as it gets a little confusing.

• kylady7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK..thanks ..Sorry about additional posts...was told to do so...but understand what you are saying... Tried to get the layout bigger but had no luck

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I know you can edit the size of photos in photobucket. It has sometimes worked for me, other times not.

Sorry, Sometimes people accidentily start a new thread when they are actually trying to add a post to their existing thread. I guess I thought thats what was happening.

I know you mentioned that your first thread didn't get any responses (I couldn't find it). Keep in mind that with the holiday weekend coming up many are on vacation. If things get slow, bump up the thread after Labor day.

Ok we have old wood flooring in the dining room and connects to the wood floor in the new kitchen. It is in the same color family and has the same size boards. It doesn't match exactly but it works for us. You could consider vinyl flooring which has come along way. Also, cork or real limoleum.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I know you can edit the size of photos in photobucket. It has sometimes worked for me, other times not.

Sorry, Sometimes people accidentily start a new thread when they are actually trying to add a post to their existing thread. I guess I thought thats what was happening.

I know you mentioned that your first thread didn't get any responses (I couldn't find it). Keep in mind that with the holiday weekend coming up many are on vacation. If things get slow, bump up the thread after Labor day.

Ok we have old wood flooring in the dining room and connects to the wood floor in the new kitchen. It is in the same color family and has the same size boards. It doesn't match exactly but it works for us. You could consider vinyl flooring which has come along way. Also, cork or real limoleum.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

How tied are you to having the sink centered under the window to the porch?

Functionally it make make more sense to have another base cabinet between the sink and the corner so that a person at the range and one at the sink wouldn't be standing in the same spot. (This would also involve the loss or shortening of an upper cabinet).

How tied are you to the esthetics of the up and down staggered arrangement of the cabinets? It's kind of a small kitchen, and it would make sense for the cabinets to just go to the ceiling with a crown moulding right to the ceiling. This would more than make up for the loss of the upper cabinet as mentioned above.

Also there is no room or minimal room to return the crown moulding of the lower height cabinets into the face of the taller height cabinets. It will either overlap onto or interfere with the doors on those cabinets. It works in a drawing of this scale but it will not work in real life...we've seen this posted before.

The only way it works is if there are very wide frames around the cabinet doors or if the cabinets that are Taller are also Deeper so the moulding of the short cabinet dies into the sides.

You can get a hint of this on the drawings. The taller cabinets have moulding that turns the corners and wraps the sides. The shorter ones appear to have just a front section and the piece that would turn and die into the other cabinet is missing. You can see the outline of the shape of the moulding. Look at the moulding on the short cabinet in your second drawing slightly to the right of the microwave

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

You have very little prep space between the sink and range (which I'm sure you've noticed) but that would bother me.

Have you considered a galley kitchen, with fridge and range on one side...and sink/dishwasher on the other? Since there's no through traffic, it shouldn't be a problem having the sink opposite the range.

You could also put a fun wallpaper or picture on the wall (where range currently is) and have a nice focal point. Might lose a small amount of upper cabinet storage, but the extra counter space would really help :)

• kylady7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your comments Palimpsest...I'm hoping the cabinet designer knew what he was doing about the Crown Molding and that it will work. I know what you are saying about the crown molding next to the microwave, but that was a mistake he just forgot to wrap it on around when he was doing the design,as he also forgot to put it on the cabinet next to the Ref. He had already done several different ones for me that day...and I'm sure he was tired. He has designed many kitchens so keeping my fingers crossed. I have e-mailed him your concerns and asked him about it. My cabinets are already ordered so I can make no changes in the staggered cabinets. I did think about the cabinets going to the ceiling ..But I have had that for 50 yrs...20 yrs in a previous kitchen and 30 in this one....So I really wanted the staggered look...hoping the kitchen won't be too small for that look. I realize I loose some kitchen storage, but with just being 5'1" the top shelves in the cabinets were a waste to me except to keep things I never or rarely use. I will be donating a Lot of those things...I plan to eliminate a lot of things that are in my cabinets now. Also to answer the Question about How tied I am to the sink under the sink....Very...I have wanted my sink under a window ever since we moved from our first house. I loved being able to look out at something other than a wall....of course I realize I have given up prep space between the sink and stove as lavendar-lass said.....but honestly I do very little major cooking anymore. Maybe once a month we have the kids and family over and of course during the holidays. If I cooked like I use to ...then it would be much more important than it is now. But I certainly understand your concern. Thank you both for your suggestions.

• sena01
    10 years ago

Having pull-outs on the left of the range might be better since that place looks more cramped than the 12" cab next to the fridge.

As to pendant and shelf, did you search Houzz and other kitchen sites that may have photos showing pendants over sink windows with or without shelf to find out which you like best?

Darker flooring may look better with your cream cabs. But, as I am sure you well know, very dark ones would show the dust more.

If possible at this stage, I think it will be better to have just 2 doors (no false drawer) for the sink cabinet. That way it will be easier for you to reach for the stuff you put at the corner cab if you decide to have an opening to it. I don't know if it's possible but maybe you can have pullout(s) at that corner cab (going to sink base) for easier access, either now or at a later date if budget permits.

Edited to delete para re height of uppers and narrow cabs as I just noticed that cab building already started.

This post was edited by sena01 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 7:27

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I think you should consider a French door fridge. Think about clearances behind you when you open the fridge door. Can a person easily pass with that single door?