Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxysd_gw

Kitchen Layout, feedback appreciated

RoxySD
12 years ago

We are getting close to finalizing the layout of the kitchen and I and I'm nervous! Of course I want it perfect, so I'd love your feedback!

As you can see, we have two islands (very excited about that). One is prep, the other dining. Current sink plan is farm sink but I'm having second thoughts on that. I am really loving the Blanco Silgranite sinks.

Appliances are, in order starting at 6 o'clock:

KitchenAid French Door fridge

Sharp Micro Drawer (under counter)

Bluestar RCS 36"

Advantium Oven (in island)

KitchenAid 27" Warming Drawer (is 27" too small?)

KitchenAid Dishwasher

It feels like the kitchen has good flow but I'm so used to looking at these plans, I need fresh eyes.

I'm going to post cabinet elevations too.

TIA!

Comments (17)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I might move the warming drawer. They are well insulated but you may occasionally warm up something in the adjacent trash.

I would consider moving the range north slightly and shifting the prep sink slightly to create more set down space adjacent to the fridge. I might tend to knock things into the prep sink when using that counter for set down. Also I am not clear where the person stands at the prep sink.

• Lesyeuxbleu
    12 years ago

Wow, great job. Now that's a great work "triangle" in such a big kitchen. I agree with palimpsest that you may want more space on the island when you take things out of the fridge. how much space do you have between the range and the prep island? Have you checked the specs on your range.?..our range sticks out to i think 30" from the wall which eats into that "hallway". You may consider adding a trash bin near your prep sink...will you have good lighting over the prep sink...Speaking of sinks, there are a lot of very informative threads about sinks it would be worth looking through them. or google search sink and gardenweb.

I love the layout, seems very well thought out.

Best of luck

• davidro1
    12 years ago

this is a successful use of space and it matches the architectural intention of the house.

are you niche-opening the wall between the desk and the entrance? It is too restrictive. The desk might never be used.

A prep sink doesn't need an edge close to the counter front; it could be in the geographic center of the island since it's for prep not cleanup. (Garbage disposer).

all the sink materials are good. Enamel or porcelain. Stainless. Silgranite.

silgranite is good but one sink being stainless is a good combination too. Stainless is a workhorse and never conks out. Silgranit needs to be hosed down more often than stainless and with more effort and finegrained attention. If it's a dark color you spend less time rinsing it because you see fewer of the particles that need to be hosed down. Enamel or porcelain are ok too, but they show every speck of anything the size of a fruit fly's turd. If your eyes are that good.

in the trash recycling pullout you could create two compartments so the organix stuff is nearer to the sink, not next to the warming drawer.

pantry shelves could be a tad deeper.

next to the fridge and the desk, walls don't have to be 4" thick for any reason. They could be 2.5" thick (net).

my opinions.

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

The little walls framing the french doors cause some issues.

The ref - plan on getting a ref where you can remove all the drawers with the doors at 90 degrees. Otherwise, you'll need to pull out the ref every time the drawers need cleaning or you have a major spill.

The desk may not be very comfortable - it's fairly narrow and has elbow bumper walls to both sides. Adding the back to back chairs with the dining island in less than a 42" aisle - its going to be pretty durned tight. Perhaps consider replacing with a standing desk - one with the desk surface at 36"-42" high. If you also pulled the surface edge forward a little, it'd lessen the elbow thing.

If you'd normally use the little desk as a dumping ground for purse, briefcase, mail, recharging electronics, etc., it might be worth looking at some type of doors to hide the unmentionables if looks are a concern or for entertaining. For some bizarre reason, my brain is wondering about a door that slides up and down - mounting a lcd screen to it if you watch tv while cooking.

If you entertain a lot, maybe consider how you would set up the kitchen for buffet or as a bar? Will the cleanup sink be available to use, where will the drinks be stored and how will people get to them.

This last is strictly about looks and not function! I feel kinda weird saying it, but your plans show you care about details. The transition/view/etc between the kitchen area and the dining room? It's hard to tell without wall elevations or a perspective drawing from the dining room, but I wonder if it will bug you to have the stools sticking out into the dining room space?

• tracie.erin
    12 years ago

Wow. This is a really nice kitchen :)

I like the prep sink where it is, because it allows prep from both sides of the island and doesn't cut up the counter space of either. You can get a cover for the prep sink if you do find that you are knocking things into it. You could also choose now to put it at the other side of the island, but I like how water is available from both sides of the kitchen.

Not sure what your budget allows or if you've bought the appliances already, but you might choose a 48" range for this size of kitchen. This is me commenting on looks only, unless you have a big big family and need the cooktop space.

I agree with davidro's comments about the desk and the width of the walls.

I would also like to comment on what looks like the lighting layout. You will want the lighting to be over your counters, not in the aisles where your body will cast shadows over what you are trying to work on.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Well, it's a very nice kitchen, but I don't like the two islands...sorry, but you asked :)

Do you have children? Where are you going to put the milk, when you take it out of the fridge? Walk around the pantry to that counter, or walk past the prep sink? I don't know how flexible your spaces are, but I'd rather see the desk area move next to the fridge and make it a landing area. Maybe have some cereal bowls, spoons, etc. for kids' breakfast.

The french doors (which I do like) on the bottom of the drawing...if they could move to where the desk is now...you wouldn't be walking into the middle of your kitchen, but into the area between your kitchen and eating area. This would allow you to have one larger island, with a prep sink and have the seating opposite the sink, with a view out the window. This would also give you a lot more space, around your dining area.

While the two islands look cool (and a bit unusual) I think you're going to spend too much time walking through and around them. I'd rather have one island, that directs traffic into the dining area or allows people to enter the work area. Just my two cents :)

• Buehl
    12 years ago

A few things...

• Refrigerator location/installation...unless it's a built-in model, you will need 2 or 3 inches on the hinge side(s) to even open the door(s) just to get into the refrigerator (check the specs). To open the doors fully, you will need 6" to 12" on the hinge side(s). As BmorePanic stated...you'll be pulling it out every time you need to clean it or remove a drawer/bin or shelf. This would be an issue for me...

Refrigerator landing space...is the aisle b/w the refrigerator and island no more than 48"? If it is, then the island will not be very convenient for that purpose. Like Palimpset, I like to have a bit of room b/w the edge of the counter and the sink. I often put things on both sides of my prep sink...e.g., unwashed veggies on one side/washed on the other. I also wouldn't want to worry about knocking things off the edge. I think a 6" filler pullout (w/a 3/4" end panel to attach the filler pullout to) b/w the sink and the counter edge would be enough for that purpose. However, for landing space for the refrigerator, you should really have more like 18". If you reduce that wall to the depth of the refrigerator carcass + required back clearance, then you wouldn't need the extra 12" to 18" on that side. You'd still need it on the pantry side, though. (The reduced wall would also make the desk more useful if the desk wall was also reduced the same amount.)

That refrigerator is really isolated from convenient landing space. In this situation, a french door model is probably the best design...the narrower doors won't intrude on the aisle as much and when landing space is across the aisle it works better than one big door.
    And speaking of that desk...as previously mentioned, it's not very wide and will definitely be an "elbow banger" with the walls so close. Do you really need a desk here? Would you consider something like

? Sweeby's description:
    "Instead of a desk, we have an 'organization closet' --"

It has a stand-up desk-height counter with a wide shallow drawer underneath in which we keep stamps, stapler, tape, paper clips.

Electrical outlet on the wall for phone chargers.

Top shelf for phone books.

Hooks and space beneath for backpacks.

Hooks up top for umbrellas and dog-leashes.

Dry-erase board on one wall, bulletin boards on the other two.

And best of all -- a DOOR that closes!".
    Trash Pullout...far more trash & recyclables are generated and for a much longer period of time when prepping and cooking than cleaning up...do yourself a favor and either add another trash pullout in the prep island or move the existing one to the island. In a kitchen this big, I suggest a second one.
    Corner...Normally, I would suggest not doing a diagonal corner b/c they take away a significant amount of floor/body space from the counters while adding very little...

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

With all that space, the actual prep zone is rather small and butts up to the people accessing the refrig & pantry from another path. Take some carrots out of the refrig--where do you plunk them? Get the peeler, wash them, where do you set them? Where are you standing? Is there another person using the range at this time or getting something in refrig or pantry? Will you tolerate one another?

I have roughly the same pattern at my refrig & prep sink area and at least 15 inches of plunk space next to sink plus long span of space to the other side of it. Great for big prep activities. But...my range is close to where your warming drawers are. No collisions for 2 cooks because there's no one standing behind me.

How many cooks? What pattern of kitchen usage--do you cook? Growing kids? Do you have caterers or party helpers?

• RoxySD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback, I've been going through it the past couple days.

*Palimpsest: I like the idea of moving the warming drawer. Good point about the trash and also what buehl said about the survey that was done of people that have the drawer second's your compelling argument. Regarding the set down space for the fridge, it does seem that the prep sink is in the way but I don't know where else to put it. I do want it out of the way as to not have it take up my island but I can't put it on the other side of the island because I have the Advantium going in on the side.

*Lesyeuxbleu: Thanks, glad you like it. Regarding how much space is between the range and prep island, do you mean the walking space? It's 3 feet. I have not checked the specs on the range but I wouldn't be surprised if it does stick out a tad. Great idea to add a trash bin at the prep island. I think that if we keep the prep sink where it is, I will add a trash pull-out underneath the sink.

*Davidro1: Great idea about the niche opening. Just to be clear, you are suggesting that there be a hole, so to speak in the wall, that it not be solid, is that correct? Regarding the sinks, thanks for the input on materials. I feel like a stainless steel prep sink would be good and silgranite for the main sink. The last two kitchen sinks I've had have been stainless steel and I've been relatively happy with them, material-wise. Thanks for the feedback on the pantry shelves, duly noted.

*Bmorepanic: Good point about the refrigerator doors. I will bring it up with the builder and see how we can tweek. Regarding the back-to-back chairs, it's not going to be that way even though it's drawn like that. There's actually going to be just one chair that will do double-duty both at the dining island and when needed, at the desk (the desk will be same height as island). I also like your idea of pulling the surface edge forward! That desk will not be a dumping ground. I am imagining that the desk will be where my laptop "lives" and where the phone/answering machine is, as well as my daily planner. I don't think it will bug me to have the dining island chairs sticking out into the dining space. I plan on getting bar stools that aren't too bulky so that they don't take up too much space even if they are pulled out. It's a very casual space and even though it's called dining, it is certainly far from formal.

*Tracie.erin: Thanks!!! I went with a 36" range because even though a 48" might also work well in the space, there is no way I could ever use that much cooking area. I just don't have a big enough family, nor do I cook enough to utilize all of that. I do not know what's going on with the lighting, I didn't plan it, nor have I spoken with my design firm about it. I think the designer just stuck the lighting in to put it in. Thank you for saying that the way it't designed now will cast shadows, will point this out to them.

*Lavender_lass:...

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Advantium & prep sink...switch them! If you don't plan to use the Advantium often, then it won't be a problem being in conflict w/the MW Drawer. OR, consider switching them and turning the Advantium 90 degrees so it faces the refrigerator. OR, put it in the "Dining Island" facing the "Prep Island". I was going to suggest shifting the island toward the sink wall to increase the aisle b/w the refrigerator & island, but I notice it's centered on the ceiling, so I suspect you don't want to do that.

Oh, and the seat on the "bottom" of the "Dining Island"...how deep is the seating overhang? It's looks shallow. It should be at least 15". Ditto for the two end seats on the long side. If you plan to use it a lot, make it 18" deep.

What are the dimensions of the islands?

How wide are the various aisles (b/w islands and perimeters and/or appliances, b/w the islands, etc.)? [Be sure the aisle widths are measured counter edge-to-counter edge or to appliance handles...not cabinet-to-cabinet or to appliance door/drawer front.]

Filler pullouts give you more room for storage in a narrow space. They are just the "pullout" piece and they attach to the outside sides of the neighboring cabinets or walls. By not having walls or face frames, you gain 1" to 3" of storage width (frames+walls are usually 1.5" thick on each side = 3" total; walls of frameless are 1/2" to 3/4" thick on each side = 1" to 1.5" total).

(If you don't have a neighboring wall or cabinet, a 1/2" to 3/4" panel is needed to attach it...but you still save on the space on the other side by not having an extra cabinet wall and frame.)

I've linked a thread that discusses them below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Rev-A-Shelf Spice Racks for Fillers -- Have you seen these!!!!

• kaismom
    12 years ago

This is just my opinion only but...
    I don't see how having second island helps with small kids. i will be making snacks and lunches AND then I have to walk around and serve it to them on another island. Hmmm. I would rather fix the snack on the island that i serve the kids... I am with Lavendar in that I prefer 1 island over 2. I would orient the island so that it looks out to the window over the sink. If the view is pretty AND if it is east facing, this is a fabulous breakfast island due to the morning light. After you rotate and elongate the island, if you would like, you can just make the right end of the island seating and left island, prep.

Regarding walking in with the bags: you drop them on the large island. That's what we do. After you drop them, then you sort and figure out where groceries go.

As is, I see a huge traffic flowing right through the middle of the kitchen. You have given them a highway!

Agree that the desk is too narrow to be useful as a sitting area. However, you can fix it so that you keep all the kids paperwork, calendar, boxes of crayon/pencils, paper etc, so they know where to rummage to find these things when they are small. As they get older, this is where their parental school stuff can be kept. Exactly as Sweeby's org closet, mentioned above.

• ontariomom
    12 years ago

Hi Roxy,

I have been following your post carefully, as I am also designing a double island layout. They are tricky to design but unique, or so I hope. Below you will find a link that has some images and ideas for double island kitchens that I found on the website. It is really important to get the traffic flow right. By the way, what is the distance between your back to back seats between seating island and dining room island? You will want to make sure there is enough room to pass by. For example, if you have guests sitting at both the dining room table and at the island, can someone say sitting in the middle seat of the diningroom get by without asking those seated beside or behind him/her to move?

Good luck and enjoy your two islands.

Carol

http://designmanifest.blogspot.com/2011/04/wednesday-in-kitchen-double-island.html/>Wednesday in the Kitchen: Double Island

• ontariomom
    12 years ago

Hi Roxy,

Sorry, the last link did not work. Try this one.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Wednesday in the Kitchen Double island

• Buehl
    12 years ago

If you're thinking about a single island, something like this might work. I left most of the perimeter untouched, with one exception. It appears that your layout is not showing the counter overhangs, it's only showing the cabinet boxes (a dead give way is that the DW extends past the cabinets...mine is flush with the cabinet doors, which means in your layout there are no doors or countertops taken into consideration.) I put in the countertops. Oh, and I gave your window "breathing space" by not having the upper cabinets go all the way to the window trim.

May I ask, who did this design? A Kitchen Designer or Architect?

On another topic...windows. I don't know if it will fit in with the design of your house, but have you considered a bump out behind the window? You'd be amazed the difference just 7" or so will make! I've linked a thread discussing counter-height & bumped out windows below. Scroll down to MamaDadaPaige's and ErikaNH's windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: counter height window pictures please

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Actually, I like the two islands, shocking as it is to hear myself say that.

When I look at a kitchen layout, the very first thing I do, without consciously meaning to, is to visualize traffic flow. Heedless running children careening off the granite on their way to make a cold drink or heat up a snack. Boozy husband who decides he wants to be fancy and get a glass for his beer. Loudmouthed aunts pushing their purses across the table or island like bulldozers, destroying anything in their path. Sobbing cook trying to bone a duck, wondering if she'll end up on cable TV for murdering her whole family, and if that's actually OK.

Stress-testing, in other words.

I think the original layout--absolutely with the tweaks about the warming drawer and trash and so on--really nailed the basic traffic flow for most things. With two islands there is absolutely nothing to attract kitchen harmers and malefactors to invade the domain of the cook. Meanwhile, guests, family and other kitchen parasites can easily access snack food, water, homework space, plus satisfy whatever other appetites and lusts the undead may have when they descend on a hapless mom's kitchen by the light of the witch's moon.

Can you tell I don't like people in my kitchen?

My one puzzle is that moving the prep sink absolutely creates needed fridge landing space, but also tempts the dark forces to invade the food preparation area. Hmm.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

"...moving the prep sink absolutely creates needed fridge landing space, but also tempts the dark forces to invade the food preparation area..."

How about a small bar (or prep) sink in the "Dining Island" for hand washing and adding water to things to be MW'd?

• RoxySD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again everyone! I am just *LOVING* all the great advice. I am so glad I asked.

*Buehl: I have a meeting with my design firm and am going to tweak where things are. I agree there is no landing space for the fridge stuff so moving the prep sink to the opposite side seems to be the best option. I don't think I want to put the prep sink in the dining island because I'll lose a dining seat. So here's what I'm thinking: seems to me the warming drawer is close enough to the stove that we are safe there. The sink will go on the opposite side of the prep island and the Advantium will face the fridge.

The seat on the bottom of the dining island appears to be 12", not including countertop overhang. These plans don't include countertop. I'm guessing it's because my design/build firm drew them up. I would imagine that when the cabinet shop does their drawing, they will include countertops (? I hope). Gotcha on the 15" recommendation. I will ask on that. The three seats along the right are 13" deep per the plan.

The island dimensions. Prep Island: 3x5.5, Dining Island: 3.5x5.5. I believe these dimensions are of the cabinets, not including countertops. Although the overhang for seating is accounted for in the dining island.

I measured all the aisles but I'm not sure how useful this information is going to be since I'm pretty positive it doesn't take countertops or appliances into consideration since the perimeter countertop is exactly 24".

So here goes:
    The distance between the: prep island and fridge is 3.5',
    between the stove area & the prep island is 3',
    between the warming drawer area & prep island is 3.5'
    between the two islands is 3.5'
    between the dishwasher area & dining island 3.5'
    between the dining island and back of chair at desk is 3'
    between the back of the dining island chair & dining room table chair is a little more than 4'

Thank you for explaining the filler pullouts and providing the link, great idea! I will bring it up with the cabinet installer. I love the idea of using all the space possible.

Can I just say that I * heart * you?!?! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bump out window behind the sink idea. My heart did a little happy dance when I read it and looked at the pictures from the post you linked to. I have already emailed our designer to have it added to the plan.

This design was done by neither an architect or kitchen designer. We have hired a design/build firm and their designer (has architect training but isn't a licensed architect) gives the information to a CAD designer and he inputs it.

*OntarioMom: Very cool you are doing a double island kitchen too! Can't wait to hear and see more about it! Thanks for that link, it was neat to see those kitchens. The distance between the seats back to back between the dining island and dining room table is a little more than 4'. I remember reading that there's a rule of thumb for how much space there should be but I...