Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Integrated quartz kitchen sinks?

Pipdog
9 years ago

While we like the Silgranit sinks, the colors aren't right for our kitchen. So we're considering installing a sink using our countertop material (quartz, likely Caesarstone or Cambria).

Anyone have one of these? I'm curious what something like this would cost to fabricate (we'll have plenty of quartz left over as we have to buy 2 slabs and have a small kitchen). What are the pros/cons? Would the quartz crack if I set a hot pan in the sink? Any considerations to discuss with the fabricator prior to creating an integrated sink?

Contemporary Kitchen by Sausalito Kitchen & Bath Designers AlterECO,inc

This post was edited by pipdog on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 14:39

Comments (4)

• lisadlu
    9 years ago

With quartz is it really an integrated sink or are there caulk lines where the planes change? If there are caulk lines then I would prefer a stainless steel sink since you will always have the caulk issue to deal with. BUT if quartz is really a one piece sink with no joins I think it's a fabulous idea! I don't think you would want to set a hot pan in the sink just like you wouldn't set it directly on the quartz countertop.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lisadlu, i'm not sure if there is caulk where the planes change since I've never seen one in person. From the limited photos I've seen on Houzz they don't seem to have caulk on the planes though. Hopefully someone on GW has one and can weigh in or maybe a fabricator is lurking here. I think are sleek and cool looking but just don't know how practical they are in terms of durability, leaks, etc.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I took this picture of a Silestone integrated sink in their Florida warehouse. It seems to mount like a Corian sink. There should be no caulk between the bowl flange and the bottom of the top.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Anyone have one of these? I'm curious what something like this would cost to fabricate (we'll have plenty of quartz left over as we have to buy 2 slabs and have a small kitchen). What are the pros/cons? Would the quartz crack if I set a hot pan in the sink? Any considerations to discuss with the fabricator prior to creating an integrated sink?"

Were I your fabricator, I'd pretty much have my way with your wallet. These are unusual and take the time of the best and highest paid guys in the shop. The bottom of the sink will have to be machined to evacuate water and will therefore have a finish that probably won't perfectly match the sides. Or if they make the sides match the bottom the sink won't perfectly match the top. With the small amount of surface and the shadows sinks always cast, I doubt you'll notice.

You may not set hot things in any solid surface, estone, or stone surface, according to manufacturers and the MIA, the trade association of the stone industry.

The corners on the pictured sink will be a real PIA to keep clean. I suppose it would be possible to fabricate a sink with coved corners, but I'd be through your wallet and into your IRA by the time it was completed.

The worst scenario I can think of is a building inspector red tagging your incredibly expensive custom sink for not having a plumbing fixture approval designation. Ouch.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 9:55

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH