Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drop-in sink in butcherblock counters?

Posted by Boops2012 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 14:33

Staceyneil posted about BB counters and finding a sink w/o issues. So I thought I would start a new thread.
Any one have a suggestion for a drop- in? Under mount with or w/o apron front seems to have a moisture issue. Someone has the Kohler Vault top mount but it seems to have no space for the faucet to deck mount. Water around the faucet appears to be problematic with that configuration.
The poster with the multiple molding issues has got me re-thinking my counter choice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drop-in sink in butcherblock counters?

We have the IKEA Boholmen

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg041142382693.html has some pics.

We attached the sink to the countertop with it upside down, using plenty of good clear silicon caulk, tightened it down, then filled in the remaining groove with more caulk.

o

"Someone has the Kohler Vault top mount but it seems to have no space for the faucet to deck mount."

The Kohler Vault has faucet hole(s) in its wide back rim, so the faucet does indeed sit on the sink deck when the sink is top mounted -- assuming we are talking about the same part of the sink. I have a top mounted Vault in a wood counter and the faucet base sits on the metal sink rim, not directly on wood.

Our round Ikea top mounted sink does not have a wide rim, so in that case the faucet is mounted on the wood counter. We have had no trouble with it either, but we are careful to wipe up splashes. (There is only infrequent splashing outside the Vault because it's so big; the low divider as opposed to a full-height one also helps.)

We have our faucet handles oriented toward the front and we use motion-sensor soap pumps. Both of those things help keep the water in the sink, not on the counter.

o

wipe up as often as possible and you will be fine. Oil away or waterlox it. It is doable but higher maintenance.

o

will2kz, your sink/counter set up is beautiful!

We have the Elkay Lustertone double drainboard sink in butcher block counters finished with PolyOsmo oil, and are loving it. It's been 8 months since installation, so I'm not speaking from years of experience, but it has been great so far. The faucet is mounted on the sink, not in the counter, and I'm glad we went that route. Realistically, we (mainly my 6-yr-old) just aren't as on top of wiping up every drop of water as I think we'd want to be if the faucet and soap dispenser were mounted in the wood.

o

Just want to say that we have had an Elkay Lustertone sink with a drainboard and maple counters for 37 years!
We now have Waterlox on the counter. In the past we used Watco Danish Oil. I do keep a towel behind the sink and the back splash to catch water drips. That is the only place we had any problem. With some sanding and a bit of wood filler we were able to correct the problem.

This post was edited by pursue on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 15:48

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here