Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen1234_gw

oldryder/all - granite seam help

Ellen1234
10 years ago

oldryder - hoping to get an opinion from you about the seam for my upcoming granite installation (fabrication is being done this Saturday!).

I have an L shaped run, approximately 58" by 163" (along wall). I have an apron front sink and a 62" wide counter height window extending 9" into the window box along the long side.

They are suggesting putting the seam directly behind the faucet (the seam would be I suppose around 15").

The other option mentioned would be to put the seam to the left of the sink and window box (so it would be to the left of the window box and would be your typical counter depth of 25.5").

I'm not sure I would like the seam directly behind the faucet. I suppose if it's done correctly I really shouldn't notice it?

What would be your opinion, as a fabricator?

Thanks a ton!

Comments (13)

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I'm not a fabricator, but I know the seam at the sink would bother me. I have a seam to the left of my sink closer to my L, and it was done VERY well. It doesn't bother me at all, but it's out of my line of sight. If I saw it all the time at the sink I think it would bother me.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I agree that I wouldn't want a seam at the sink. Mine is to the left of the sink and doesn't bother me at all. I have a Whitehaven apron front sink and it is the favorite part of my kitchen.

• willtv
    10 years ago

Allow me to be the voice of dissent.
    Our seam is dead center at the sink.
    I wasn't thrilled with the idea to begin with but, on the recommendation of our fabricator, we went with it.
    It worked out very well.
    Instead of having a 25 1/2" seam, we have a 4 or 5" seam at the front of the sink and a 5 or 6" seam at the faucet.
    Here's a shot.

HTH

This post was edited by willtv on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 23:54

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

I'll be another voice of dissent. We have a farmhouse sink and a seam right in the middle. It is hardly noticeable and is only a few inches long. The full width seam that we have on the L is far more noticeable.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

In Ellen's case her seam would extend into the window box, where in all likelihood the sunlight will hit it and probably highlight the seam. I agree I also would prefer not to have it put dead center in what sounds like a focal point of your kitchen.

• Ellen1234
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all!

As valinsv indicated, my concern is that this is a bumped out counter height window, so the seam will be right there in the center of the granite in the bumped out window. I think if it were like willtv's above, I would be ok with the seam behind the faucet.

Maybe I will start a new thread specific to counter height box/bay windows??

Thanks!

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    10 years ago

Ellen 1234:

We normally seam an apron sink in back anyway so I would see no problem with that option.

• Ellen1234
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oldryder - thanks! So you see no problem with the seam directly behind the faucet? That's what you normally do? Given that the granite will extend an additional 9 inches back, you think this will look ok? My worry is that it'll bug me when I'm looking out the window (doing dishes or whatever).

Thanks!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Ill you be looking out the window or down at the counter?

What does the granite look like? Do you think it will be really hard to match the seam?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

An expanse of sill is beautiful, stone or not. I wouldn't want it interrupted by a seam either.

• Ellen1234
    Original Author
    10 years ago

annkh - I do agree I'd be looking out the window, but don't want to be distracted by the seam (although I'm sure I'd get used to it). The granite is Colonial Gold. I'm not sure about matching the seam - I should be able to find out when I go there tomorrow. They are going to basically draw out each of the counters. I do actually have 2 other big runs (105inch run and 37inch x 93inch island) which I'm told will not have any seams.

Thanks!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

My feeling is the sink, the faucet, and the window box is the focal point of your kitchen, so why would you want a distracting seam running right through the middle of it? If your fabricator does perfect seams, I'd consider it, but that doesn't seem to be the rule.

I have a seam to the side of my sink, 4" from a corner. It's tight and the epoxy matches the solid colored quartz. I think oldryder has mentioned that quartz seams are typically cleaner because there's no chipping. Is Colonial Gold a "chippy" stone?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

A lot of times we are told things will look or be fine and then they are not. Go with your gut. If the option is there, you do not want to be disappointed with this. There have been many bad seam threads posted, often with the fabricator claiming it is alright and expected. Even if it is pretty good, you will not be happy. Don't count on perfection.