Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dull spots on dark granite

Posted by twobdesign (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 14:29

We are in the process of choosing a granite for our kitchen remodel and are drawn to darker green colored stones (Golden Jade, Galaxy Green) to complement our natural cherry cabs. The slabs look great when standing on end in the showroom. But on the few samples I've brought home, there are dull spots that look like water marks in the polished finish when the sample is laid on the counter and light hits it from the side. I realize that this is because the different crystals reflect light differently, but it just looks dirty. Anyone else have this issue and if so, does it bother you? Wondering if this is more prominent in dark granites? You really can't tell by looking at the stones when they are standing up in the yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dull spots on dark granite

If a completely uniform sheen and smoothness is important to you, then look at a quartz, like Cambria. Granite will offer you neither trait. It's normal for it to have variations.

o
RE: Dull spots on dark granite

twobdesign:

I spent half a day today refinishing a granite top, something they all need, at least in spots, every decade or so.

There was a spot or two that I had to remind myself that was in the stone; nothing I could do. When you buy natural stone, you get what you get. No whining about it later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here