Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash ideas

Posted by mike_73 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 14:24

I'm looking for an affordable backsplash idea. Any one have any ideas? I like glass tiles but I don't want to spend more than the cost of the wilsonart hd laminate counters I'm getting Current one is the same Formica as the counters and I hate the yellow. I was thinking of doing Formica again as I can get that in a nicer color for about $100. I would like a metal or stainless steel Maybe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash ideas

So, what is your budget for the backsplash, and how many square feet is it?

o

the area is an L shaped like area. one side is 11 foot long with a sink and range areas that have cabinets that are not as long/tall. the other section is about 4 ft x 19 in. tall. So by my rough and generous estimate is around 42 sq. ft.

I was hoping to keep it the price low not more than $200-300 in materials and be able to install it myself

o

So if I did my math correctly you are looking to hit in the 4.50-7.00/sq ft range. Around here you can shop some of the big tile/stone stores seconds or discontinued items and get some great deals and a price that would fit your price point for glass. HD has a few at the upper end of your budget. Also check out ebay - there are a limited number of glass and stainless tile options that fit your price point also. The field isn't wide open to you, but with some savvy shopping you could do it.

o

Glass tile for less than $7/sf can be found on clearance sites like the one below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Clearance

o

I found a tin ceiling tile company online that sells tiles I can put up with liquid nails. they are 2x2 foot with 6" repeat I can get some of the simpler finishes for about $12-14 each so buy the sites calculator I can get enough for about $250 shipped. I am getting a dark sort of neutral color counter top, my cabinets will be antique white and the sink and appliances are stainless steel that I got by savvy shopping. I think the stainless panels in pattern #3 or #19 would look good.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Tin Ceilings

o

I love the look of those tin tiles as a backsplash, wish my kitchen could pull it off. There are a bunch of places that sell them so you can shop around. Even Amazon has them.

Be sure to post pics when it's done!

o

thanks I do like the look too and its going in an older home so that will be in character for it. I seen plastic knock off tiles like those at Lowe's for $20 each. these are 12-16 if you stay to a more simple finish and are the real thing. I did not know Amazon sold them. thanks for that bit. I think this is what I may do I'm goin to shop around and see.

o

Have you ruled out plain ol' ceramic tiles? You can get those for about $4/sq ft. Easier to keep clean, and more "expected" looking.

o

Yeah almost given up on tiles. the install is more labor and I been looking at Lowe's and HD which is all we have here no tile mart or place like that. if i could find a tile i like that was in price once you add in mastic and grout would do it. so for not seen tile i like. even the glass tile site that was posted had nice tiles but I only liked the ones $10-11 plus and I don't want to spend that much on this place.

o

The other thing you can do is buy expanded vinyl wallpaper that looks like tile. Some of it even has grout lines. Easy to install and durable. I put some up in our old house we were selling and people had to touch it to see it wasn't tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: vinyl wall covering

o

Annie - I generally hate wallpaper over a whole room and could never deal with much more than a border but looking at the few that are on that link to Lowe's I think it's worth going in and looking at some before I pull the trigger on the tin backsplash. It may cost even less and be cheap to change out if i got tired of it or styles change.

The reason for me not wanting to splurge a lot is this house is a 2 unit, one is my residence, the one I am working on and the other is a rental. In the area I would not see most of the money back for high end finishes like granite and tile. also in 5 years maybe more or less I may buy a house someplace else and just keep this as investment property.

o

Definitely check out Amazon for tile and other home products. There are a variety of glass tiles there in all price ranges.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here