Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julienpete

does anyone have glass cabinets that are not clear?

julienpete
15 years ago

Could I see, pretty please? My kitchen designer is trying to talk me out of clear glass uppers and I can understand that you can't hide anything behind clear glass but all the inspiration photos I have seen have clear glass and I haven't really seen any with frosted, antique glass. What do you think will work best with a white kitchen (cottagy style) Thanks so much!!!

Comments (21)

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

I don't have a white kitchen, but we're going with clear because I want to display crystal in it.

He/she may be pushing the frosted glass because it's usually $20-30 more apiece, as opposed to clear.

• cleo07
    15 years ago

Here is my seeded glass cabinet. It blurs the view a little which is ideal in my slightly unorganized existence.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Yes, and I am so very happy that I insisted on frosted glass! The upper cabinets on either side of my sink hold some good china but also some everyday mugs & glasses. With the frosted glass you can't see what's in them. Here's a pic:

• Laurie
    15 years ago

The glass we have is called "rain".

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• kelly_2000
    15 years ago

I used frosted ribbed glass in some cabinets in my bathroom, and I think it is a nice look. You can see just a bit of what's in there--but not too much.

{{!gwi}}

• cambro5
    15 years ago

Mine is called 'waterglass'.

• lkremodel
    15 years ago

My cabinet line sold the doors for glass w/o glass in them. The customer then went to local glass business and got the needed glass. I really liked this option. Our local glass company had a display of 9 different types of shaded glass and I was able to pick the amount of opaqueness desired. Our choice was quite opaque for kitchen where we stuff as many plates, glasses, cups, serving bowls as possible. We used clear glass only in the dining room where it's more of a display situation. I'd never have enough room or the needed tidiness to have done clear glass in the kitchen.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

I'm also using ribbed glass, although my glass company calls it crystal fluted. Mine is not frosted and you will definitely see shapes behind the glass. I'm also planning on having these cabinets fitted with interior lighting. I won't have pics until late next week.

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

A friend redid her kitchen and, like lkremodel, chose and purchased her glass insets from a local glass company, who also installed them. She said there were more choices that way and it was quite a bit less expensive than if she'd bought the doors from the cabinet company with the glass installed.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I'm getting my glass through a stained glass dealer. It's called waterfall (as seen above) but instead of clear, it's amber in color. I also have a mix of display and show pieces in the cabinet, so I wanted to obscure things somewhat. This picture just has the sample piece sitting in the door.

My master closets have ribbed glass in the hanging areas (for shirts and pants) Again I wanted to obscure the view a bit as well.
    {{!gwi}}

• laura1202
    15 years ago

I only have glass cabinets in the butler's pantry, but I did not want clear glass. I had the cabinets installed with no glass and then ordered the glass I wanted (it's called "Clear Slate") online from Bendheim Glass. You can click on "Product Catalog" at the top of the linked page to see all the possibilities. I was a little nervous about ordering glass online and having it shipped but they have a HUGE selection and it came very quickly with absolutely no problems.

Good Luck with your choices!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear Slate

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

One thing my cabinet guy warned me about is using a decorative pattern glass along with the mullions in the doors. He said it ends up being too busy. He said the pattern glass looks best in doors with no divider thingies, but that look is a bit contemporary. I loved all the fancy patterned glasses out there, but ended up going with just plain frosted because I wanted the mullions. I love the way they look and they hide all my stuff.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I'd have to disagree with ccombs cab guy: divided doors and obscure glass work well together in most settings. Perfectly clear glass and large, uninterupted panes are fairly recent inovations.

Here's a thought for those of you with clear glass, but wishing for something more obscure: Michaels and other craft stores sell faux stained glass supplies, including some clear [start white but dry clear] acrylic mediums that you can dot, swirl or splash accross regular glass to give it 3d texture and cut back the clarity a bit. One even gives a crackle effect.

It will last for years, cleans about like plain glass, but can be scraped off with a razor blade with no damage to the glass [assuming some degree of competence] if you decide obscure glass isn't for you.

Generally better to apply it to the back of the glass, especially on divided doors.

• polie
    15 years ago

Klb2000, your ribbed glass cabinets look nice. Good solution!

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Here's my textured glass:

My scheme is white and greys, so the glasses and such in the cabs don't make things look too busy - it adds touches of color.

• julienpete
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great pics! That website is exactly what I was looking for - I am leaning towarded the lightly seeded antique or maybe the wavy glass...

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Here is Reeded glass cut on the horizontal.

Also, here is a chart of some glass styles from Feather River Doors. It really helped me with my glass decision.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• c9pilot
    15 years ago

I had a couple of clear glass cabinets in a house I rented in Guam and I hated them. We display our nice stuff in our china cabinet, so I need our kitchen cabinets for real storage.
    We have a row of top cabinets with big holes in the doors right now, until I decide which of these beautiful glasses that I like!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bendhaim full catalog page

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I have seeded glass in one cabinet only- it will be a hutch type set up if we get up off our tushies and design the bottom. We have a small cottage style kitchen.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

cooperbailey - I really like the way you placed those doilies on the shelves. Never seen that before..gives it an old fashion warm feeling : )

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Thanks! I found all of them in thrift shop they are all vintage and hand made. I was hoping a cottagey feel would result. It also hides that the shelves dont line up with the muntins. My DH said he could fix them but I didn't want the bother.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz