Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OSMO Polyx Oil vs Top Oil for walnut butcher block?

Posted by sloane529 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 14:24

Installing walnut butcher block with undermount prep sink on our island, though don't plan on cutting directly on surface, and wanting a matte finish, nothing shiny or plastic-y. Searching for the right finish, have considered Waterlox (too shiny, toxic for my taste, plus we're trying to get green certification for the project) and mineral oil/beeswax (but GC and counter fabricator want something a bit more water resistant with the sink) and am finding lots of positive reviews of OSMO Polyx Oil (LOVE breezygirl's walnut counter!!). GC recommended the OSMO Top Oil instead. Any thoughts? Reasons to use one over the other? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OSMO Polyx Oil vs Top Oil for walnut butcher block?

I use Osmo Polyx Oil and Osmo Top Oil on my cherrywood placemats. They are both excellent for a non-cutting surface, Very hard and durable. For my cherrywood and black walnut cheese boards I use cold pressed hemp seed oil and my own mixture of hempseed oil and natural beeswax. I purchase my hemp seed oil from Hempola in Barrie, Ontario, Canada. Hemp seed oil is organic and totally food safe. I don't think either Osmo product was designed for a cutting surface. Hemp seed oil is much better to work with and healthier and more organic and food safe than any Osmo product.You can see some of my work at my website- www.liveedgedwoodcraft.ca

o
RE: OSMO Polyx Oil vs Top Oil for walnut butcher block?

Did your GC say why he recommended the top oil over the polyx? My wood worker never mentioned the top oil, saying that he has used the polyx on counters for years with much success. Just curious why something else would be recommended. Now I need to go look at the top oil online....

And thanks for the compliment! I love it, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here