Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best source for inexpensive subway tile?

Posted by purrus (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 14:21

Hello dear KFers,

I'm shopping for my subway tile backsplash and hoping to find a deal. Is this something I just need to hunt for locally, or are there any leads on a place where I can order them for cheap? Looking for glossy white subway.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best source for inexpensive subway tile?

Have you tried Lowes or Home Depot? If I were you, I'd do a google search for glossy white tile and just see what's available locally. You might even have local discount tile stores that sell it for less. Subway tile is so popular now, you can find it many different places. Both Lowes and Home Depot are selling it for under $6.00 a square ft. There may be more flaws in the discounted tile, but you can take damaged tile back, so it's no real loss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subway tile

o

Builddirect.com or build.com has some for around 2/sf. You can get a free sample from them. They are by a company called hammersmith. They look great to me and you can't beat the price

The white is a very bright white.

Ours have not yet been Installed. They will prob go up in about 2 months. I'll let you know how it turns out

o

I got ours from "Floor and Decor" (large chain, you may have one local) for <$1 per square foot. They had white and cream subway, huge stacks of it.

If it's just wall tile - backsplash or bathroom wall - almost anything that's the right color will work.

If it's going in a shower, you want porcelain, but BigBox plain tiles would be just fine.

o

home depot on line. Different stuff then in the store.

o

I used 2x4" subways from HD. They were $2.78/sf. I have used their stock standard size ones too--can't remember the sf price but it was low and the quality was fine. They looked great finished.

o

Believe it or not ... overstock.com can have some good deals -- if you can score a 10% coupon and use their rewards program (another 8% back with their card) - plus free shipping and no tax - it may be something to consider. We used them for some of our bathroom tile and were pleased as punch.

o

When I was shopping for tile I came across tile by Adex USA which is very reasonably priced. Their Neri series has a good selection of sizes in flat or beveled white subway tiles. IMHO it is nicer than the stock HD and Lowes tile which I found to be pitted and not that great of quality.

Tilesdirect.net has good pricing on all tile, carries Adex USA for about $6 sf and you can get samples but have to pay for them. I think you get three for $10 but worth it before ordering. I have posted the link to the Adex tile with all the sizes available. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Adex USA Neri series

o

Home Depot carries American Olean white subway tile for $0.22 each -- works out to $1.76 a square foot.

o

Correction, the American Olean is carried at Lowes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here