Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaincalifornia

Has anyone used Galaxy White granite?

lisaincalifornia
12 years ago

Hi all,

first of all--I did find all of the posts (using search function) about those of us who want white granite. Those were very helpful, expecially the pictures!

My story is similar to many others (maybe there is a name for this affliction?)--I want the look of Carrara Marble, but with durability of granite. My contractor took me to a place in Oakland yesterday to find my granite, and I did find a few I really liked.

The first was Kashmir White granite--I loved it in the the sample square, but the pieces at the lot had a lot of burgundy and rust in them, and I didn't think that would work for our cabinets and tile. Then, I found the Galaxy White granite, and chose a slab that had a lot of white in it. It is sort of white and cream with some black and gray and beige thrown in. It is very marbled looking--rather than spotted, and I love that.

I picked it and we purchased it and then I came home and started googling--and of course started second guessing myself. There seems to be so many pictures of actual kitchens with the Kashmir White granite, but I have yet to find one with the Galaxy White. The Galaxy White was a bit more expensive than the Kashmire White, so that may be part of it--but there may be other issues I don't know about.

I have seen a few pictures here of slabs of Galaxy White, but no finished projects. I know it is a long shot, but I wondered if anyone has used it.

Thanks for any help you could provide,

Lisa

Comments (16)

• alwaysfixin
    12 years ago

As far as I know, Galaxy White, aka White Galaxy, is very similar to the granites called Bianco Antico, Alaska White and Delicatus White. Sometimes the granite yards mix up the names, and name one for the other and vice versa. Those granites are very popular on this forum because of their beauty and durability. Kashmir White, while lovely, is a more porous granite, and therefore will need more frequent sealing than the others I have named. We have Alaska White granite counters and I never grow tired of it, and it seems tough as nails.

You should try searching on this forum for threads about Galaxy White granite. However, you will get better results if you go to Google, and fill in the search words, Gardenweb galaxy white granite. Don't use quotation marks in the search box cause the granite is sometimes called galaxy white and sometimes white galaxy. You will get a bunch of Kitchens Forum threads to look at.

• lisaincalifornia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great suggestions! I am off to google :)

And thanks for the clarification about the names. I wasn't sure if Galaxy white and White galaxy were the same granite--I have seen it both ways.

At the granite warehouse they really only had a few granites that were light enough to be what I was looking for. Someone has a picture here of a granite called (I think) White River which I loved--but they had nothing like that at the granite yard I went to.

My contractor thought that the White Galaxy would be more durable than the Kashmir White--and that is another reason I chose it, but hopefully I made the right choice. I am usually pretty quick to make decisions about what I like--but this granite issue is difficult for me for some reason.

• juniork
    12 years ago

Lisa, did you go to Granite Expo? They had River white in slab and pre-fab, last time i looked. unitile in Hayward has river white in pre-fab. Be VERY CAREFUL if you buy prefab that all your pieces match, in the shade of white/gray as well as in the flow/patterning. That was our huge mistake, but thats ok...we'll live with it. If all else fails, i'll darken the lighter piece with oil or something, and then seal. Some places call it Multicolor White.

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

Good color, I see it a lot here in Baltimore. You may also check out Bianco Romano

• jujubug62
    12 years ago

Lisa, we just completed our kitchen and used white galaxy. I love it! Some of the prefabs had more black splotches than I liked, so I chose 3 that had more veining and less spots. There is a little burgundy in it as well as some sea glass blue which I love. There is also beige/taupe.

~Jeanette

• jujubug62
    12 years ago

Oh, and I just noticed you are in California. I live in SoCal. Our granite guy told us that white galaxy is a fairly new granite, so that is probably why you can't find many pictures of it.

• lisaincalifornia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

JuniorK,
    No we went to Sincere Hardware--they have a granite yard in Oakland. They actually had several very good slabs of white galaxy, so I was able to choose the ones I liked. We are in the east bay (in Lamorinda area).

• lisaincalifornia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jenanette,
    I love that it has seaglass blue in it! That will work great with our tile.

• lisaincalifornia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sacmom,
    I just googled the house you flipped--looks great. I grew up around there (in Davis) and that house looks very similar to the one I grew up in! Thanks for your help.

• lisaincalifornia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jujubug,
    that makes sense that it is a new color--so I wouldn't see as many finished projects. I am feeling more a peace with my choice now.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

A few other "white" stones to look at -- White Princess (a stoneyard down in San Carlos (Da Vinci) had a few slabs at the end of last year and usually keeps it in stock) & Mother of Pearl. Both are super durable.

• rcmb
    12 years ago

I am about to use it! The stone we're looking at tomorrow is labeled both White Galaxy and Snowdrift.

Let me ask you this - are you going polished or honed??? We're seriously considering honed but I can't find any good pics to help us decide.

• roarah
    12 years ago

Some of my favorite meals have been prepped and cooked in the galley kitchen of a 27ft sailboat. I think any small kitchen should take tips from boat or rv kitchens. Altho compact planning and proper stowing is key! A small kitchen needs an organized user and benefits from meal planning. A cook who uses mostly fresh ingredients for not much room for frozen and canned produce to be stowed. Also 1 dish meal recipes are a great idea for smaller kitchens they need less tools and are less clean up.

• roarah
    12 years ago

I do not know what i did, but my last post was meant for the small kitchen thread sorry bout that:)

• rcmb
    12 years ago

Just wondering if lisaincalifornia has chosen/installed the white galaxy?