Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass mosaic - sanded or I sanded grout?

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 14:15

My backsplash will be a very small glass mosaic. The small display piece at the tile store had it grouted with a sanded grout so that's what I ordered. My contractor just stopped by and said it "could" scratch. So I asked at the store and they said because of the type of glass (it almost looks more like stone or tile than a true translucent glass) it's ok but he has to be a little careful with it.

The pieces are very close, as I remember probably less than 1/16th of an inch, in places close to zero. (It's somewhat randomly sized.) Looking at it close I did like the sanded grout, but I'm thinking it would be really hard to notice the difference once installed. It's not cheap stuff so I'm thinking I might want to avoid the risk. Unless someone convinces me otherwise.

This blurry sample is about 6x6. This time only, please don't tell me if you hate it. It works really well picking up colors in my granite and cabinets. And I'm SO tired of backsplash shopping. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass mosaic - sanded or I sanded grout?

"I sanded grout"? 8 months and I still can't type on an iPhone. Next phone I'm going back to a big Droid!

o
RE: Glass mosaic - sanded or I sanded grout?

FWIW, our tile guy used a mix of sanded and unsanded grout with our glass tile splash (wider grout lines than yours perhaps). Not sure of the exact proportions, but could look it up in my folders. They were very careful and didn't scratch any of the tiles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here