Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annsch

So EXCITED: have to share...

Ann Scheley
11 years ago

I am so excited I can't stand it! My backsplash is going in as I type this. I've never been very good at patience so I am posting what I can see so far...

Comments (41)

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Wow! beautiful! I am also loving the glimpse of the light fixture. Is that "backsplash" above the cabinets?

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Really clean and lovely!
    Looks like a great tile installation, too!

I can't wait for me. Hurry up.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Would love to see your pendant too!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

p.ball2---Yes, they are working on the tile above the cabinets first and behind the range (not installed yet, but sitting in the garage). The tile behind countertops will go in on Saturday as they need to wait until tops are installed which is happening on Friday.

CEFreeman---Herringbone pattern, of course grout not in yet. Looks like you're as impatient as I am. :)

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Can we see the pendant? Among many other things, (knobs,counter tops, under counter refrigerator) I am on the hunt for polished nickel or silver pendants. Yours looks lovely.

I love the subway tile in herringbone pattern. Very interesting above and below cabinets. What color grout?

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Stunning! No wonder you couldn't wait!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pendants are not technically up yet. But I will post a picture below. Knobs, countertops nor refrigerator are in yet. Countertops coming this Friday.

Pendants are Jamie Young St. Charles Mercury Glass Pendants:

Here is the grout, it's called white dove:

• babs711
    11 years ago

Oh! I can't wait to see your kitchen! I almost got those pendants and thought for a really long time about doing herringbone white tile. We did herringbone in our guest bath and went in a different direction for the kitchen because it felt right. But this makes me super anxious to see your kitchen!!!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Going to search for those pendants right now! Is the White dove the same white dove as BM white dove? Is that the color of your cabinets? Yes, I am working on cabinet color as well.

Look forward to seeing more of your kitchen!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Love the look of the tile above the cabinets! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! I can't wait to see pictures once the counters and BS are all in!!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Hey thanks! I searched and found a bunch of very nice pendants. And they are in my price range to boot. Sometimes I get excited and then find out it is a Circa lighting fixture which are gorgeous but $$$$.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Great looking tile treatment! I can see why you want to share.
    Please feel free to share more pictures as you snap them.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

so pretty!! I am eagerly awaiting the final reveal!! this may be a stupid question, but can you share where to get those little grout sticks? thank you!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

p.ball2---don't know if it's the same BM White Dove. Probably not as it is from the tile guy. Just asked him it's called Custom Polyblend. My cabinets are BM Timid White.

michoumonster---the grout sticks are from the tile installer. He brought the samples because we had not picked out the grout yet. I'm still not sure it will be right. I want the grout to blend in, not stand out, we shall see...

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

VERY NICE ! I really like the pattern.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I love it!!! I did a marble herringbone pattern about a month ago for BS. My tiles are smaller than yours. I think I like yours better but it's too late now. LOVE your light too. Can't wait to see it all finished.

Poor tile guys, that's a lots of cuttin :-(

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Love it! It looks beautiful. I've recently taking a strong liking to herringbone pattern and I'm excited to see it used for a full backsplash. I can't wait to see more pictures when it's finished! Thanks for sharing.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see more! Looks beautiful.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Really really REALLY nice! Your kitchen just gets more and more beautiful. (Still haven't recovered from your amazing hood).

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

oldabat2be and others---hood is getting lighter and lighter, it's been a couple of weeks now, I can't believe how long it's taken. I am loving the color right now, hope it stays just as is. What do you think?

Update...workers are still here...POOR TILE INSTALLERS IS RIGHT!....

pendants are up...more backsplash:

Remember, no grout yet....maybe tomorrow...

P.S. Notice in 3rd picture that the hood is chipped just over the corbel, OUCH. That happened when they installed the cabinets. They are coming back later to fix it.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Wow wow wow -your ceilings look like they are 10 feet tall, are they? So beautiful!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oldbat---ceilings are 9ft

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Oh man, I love herringbone! It looks awesome. Will there be some contrast between the grout and tile? I played it safe with mine and wish I had gone with a darker grout.

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

linelle---I posted up top that I am going to use what's called dove white. It pretty much matches the tile color. I want to play it safe too. The texture of the pattern and the irregularities in the tile are, I'm hoping, enough elements to interest the eye. Can you tell me why you wish you did yours differently?

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Sigh, it is gorgeous.

May want to review enduring's grout tribulations with her beautiful herringbone pattern:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0818045826117.html

• Lori Ryan
    11 years ago

So cool! I love how it looks. Great use of subway tiles.

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

That is really beautiful. I love that you carried the tile over the cabinets!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love all your comments. It's really nice to get all the feedback. And thanks Angie_DIY, that thread was helpful.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

That is FAB-U-LOUS!!!!!!!! LOVE the tile up to the ceiling. Just gorgeous!!

I've loved the idea of tiling the walls ever since I saw the redo of Kirstie Alley's kitchen on Oprah. I just loved her kitchen with all the gorgeous tiled walls.

Your kitchen is going to be a show stopper!!!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Everything is looking stunning.
    If you haven't already done a tile sample board with grout
    (I'm sure you have) please ask the person grouting your tiles
    to do a small sample of the White Dove grout
    and let it dry over night before grouting the whole wall.

We thought we had the perfect grout color for our white subway tiles.
    But when we did the sample it was too light
    and the tiles lost all the articulation.
    Going just one step deeper for the grout color made all the difference.

In your kitchen, since the tiles will be seen from a distance
    by those who stand on the other side of your island,
    nudging in the direction of a tiny bit more graphic pop
    might be a good call.

Sorry! I love how your kitchen is turning out so much
    that I'm feeling all parental about your tiles.
    (I love all your other color choices -- the Timid White cabinets are inspiring.
    So I'm sure you know the right decision to make about your grout.)

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Gosh it's so beautiful. I matched my BS and grout and it doesn't take away from the herringbone pattern at all. Dark grout makes it look to busy for my taste.

What are you using for counter-tops?

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I'm sitting here having a cup of coffee at my island, looking at your pictures, then glancing at my window wall.....wondering....if that whole wall should be tiled too! I really love it. I was at HD this past weekend looking at some tile (just because to get to a real tile store for browsing is too far) and I showed my dh the marble subways, and I laid them out in a herringbone pattern...he said he liked it.

Your kitchen is looking really fantastic! I have plenty of time to decide on mine...I'm in a "spend-down" cycle since we just signed a contract to have our deck built. It's killing me a little, there are so many things we need to get done.

Keep posting pictures!

Love it!!

Bee

• kfhl
    11 years ago

Looking gorgeous! I can't wait to see the backsplash grouted.

• Mags438
    11 years ago

I love it! Click to save image for inspiration. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see finished kitchen

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

caminnc---caesarstone organic white on island counters and caesarstone pebble on range wall counters.

• vidyaram
    11 years ago

I love it! I recently chose a very light green subway and feel that the space above my cabinets look empty. I wish I had it installed all the way! Thanks for sharing

• enduring
    11 years ago

Love your installation! I like seeing the herringbone pattern so i'd go with a grout that was some shades darker than your tiles. If you are still deciding on grout, do up some tile samples on a board and grout your different color options before you grout the walls, just to be sure you like the look. I see Angie added my link from last year. I have been loving my grout choice as I like the contrast. Best of luck, it looks SO PRETTY on your walls.

• sochi
    11 years ago

I love the herring bone pattern, can't wait to see it finished.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Add me to the chorus of people that love it! I am hoping to use herringbone on my fireplace soon, so I'm excited to see your photos.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Another hand raised for 'who thinks the tile is beautiful?" Really lovely...

The suggestion for doing some grout samples seems like a prudent one. I love the un-grouted look so the herringbone really stands out... maybe a touch darker than white grout? Either way, your kitchen is gorgeous!

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

One word ... uh-mazing! :)