Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Hmm... I think I am in love with a blue fridge? Help please!

ontariomom
10 years ago

Well, maybe not true love, but a definite infatuation with a Heartland FD counter depth blue fridge (see link at bottom). I admit I go weak in the knees at the sight of blue in general.

So here is what I wondered, If I did want to incorporate a blue fridge in my kitchen, what other choices would I need to make to make it look good? It seems to me that there will be a lot of stainless in my kitchen and I am not all that fussed on a huge stainless fridge box. I realize that I could spring for a cabinet covered fridge, but that is very pricey. Before considering this fridge, we had on our short list the following:

Cream painted perimeter cabinets
Different colour island cabinets open to suggestions
other appliances stainless including a stainless island hood
flooring is to be a medium stained maple (I would describe as a light milk chocolate colour)
counter tops undecided
Decorative glass down to cabinet hutch (see picture)
Decorative plates (that are blue - see image below)

Here is my floor plan and one part of an elevation picture (note the elevation picture is not up to date at all, but it does show the glass cabinet). The next photo is the decorative plates that will go on a shallow display shelf where marked and the link at the bottom is the object of affection (the blue fridge). Can anyone help me design around this blue fridge? Or should I take a cold shower, walk on and learn to love the stainless ones?

Thanks in advance!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Heartland FD blue fridge

Comments (26)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Is potential resale a factor when deciding what to select for your kitchen? If resale is of no concern, and money is no object, then go with the blue fridge.

However, if you ever wish to sell the house know that blue selections, on more permanent fixtures like appliances and counter tops etc., will greatly reduce the market for the home.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly,

cool images, thanks. I wish I knew how to imbed images from Houzz into GW without a link.

No, we won't be selling our home anytime soon. It is our forever home. By the time we need to sell, the appliances will have been replaced more than once as the average lifespan of today's fridges seems to be around 10 years! Therefore, I think a blue appliance would be less permanent than a blue counter or even cabinets. But, I do realize that a blue fridge would not be a selling point.

Carol

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

It's not built in and its the larger of standard sizes at 36" so I wouldn't worry about it much in terms of resale. It could easily be replaced.

Having owned one, I think I would be more concerned about buying a house designed around an ageing Sub-Zero and knowing I may soon be shelling out the cost of a pricey regular fridge for a new compressor, if not $8000 for a whole new Sub-Zero because it is the only thing that would fit.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 14:51

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

OntarioMom,
    "cool images, thanks. I wish I knew how to imbed images from Houzz into GW without a link."

I capture the images using the PrintScreen option on my laptop & paste the images into PAINT. Then I cut and paste. Sound complicated, but after you've done it a few times, it's not hard.

• cawaps
    10 years ago

Here's a dissection of what works and doesn't in Beverly27's pics, if that will help with your design problem.

I like the third one the best. The fridge color ties into the wall color (or is it backsplash) in the niche and the backsplash under the window. The blue/white palette is clean and fun.

In the first pic, the Big Chill sticks out like a sore thumb. I think the wall color might be a pale blue, but if it is it doesn't match the fridge partcularly well. I think I would like the kitchen better with a stainless, white or black fridge (and I'm usually all over colored appliances). This is an example of "Let the ***** be the star" gone horribly wrong.

In the second pic, the cobalt appliances are paired with strongly contrasting yellow/orange walls. I find that level of contrast uncomfortable.

If you are going to paint the island, I would think about painting it blue to match the fridge, maybe a bit lighter or darker. Other places you could pull in the blue are in the backsplash, window treatments or upholstery.

Looking at the fridge in the link, I would describe it as a Wedgewood blue, but the color name is cobalt. So either the pic or my monitor is making the color not read correctly, or Heartland's marketing department doesn't know what color cobalt is. Have you seen the fridge in person?

• kksmama
    10 years ago

When looking at a picture on houzz, in different window from your forum window, you can see along the bottom of the picture some choices: add to idea book, ask a question, tag, email, embed, print, etc. If you click on embed, a window with html code pops up for either large or small image. Click to highlight, then right click to select copy, then paste it in your message on the forum. If I can do it, anyone can do it :)

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I agree with palimpsest that I would not worry too much about resale since it's not a built in that would be more difficult to replace. In terms of aesthetics, I think you need to consider balance when including a bold colored fridge. beverly27's images I think show a great example of this. The first one seems to really highlight the fridge and make it to focus of the kitchen. The second image has a little more balance because multiple appliances are the same bold blue color. Just having small items like knobs and plates blue and then a big fridge blue is still going to draw the eye to the fridge. Is that what you want to be a focal point in the kitchen? Just something to consider.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Depends on the other appliances. I love the old colored ones from the 50's, but only if they match. If the rest of what you're getting will be stainless I'd go stainless on the fridge too or it will probably look out of place.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

At least on my monitor, the blue of the fridge is very different from the blue plates.

Would you consider some blue bottom cabinets?

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

I can see why you are infatuated with the fridge. I think that is a very different, sophisticated and attractive look. I could definitely see a kitchen with creams, that color cobalt blue and stainless. If you love blue, there are some beautiful stones (names escape me right now--I know Peke's kitchen has one, and there's a granite that is a very dark blue). Could use one of those for the island, and tie in some additional blue accents in other parts of the kitchen. Since your kitchen is large, maybe do a wood island--walnut maybe? Others Here are much more talented at decorating than I am!

You are putting so much thought into your kitchen. It's going to be fabulous!

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

I can see why you are infatuated with the fridge. I think that is a very different, sophisticated and attractive look. I could definitely see a kitchen with creams, that color cobalt blue and stainless. If you love blue, there are some beautiful stones (names escape me right now--I know Peke's kitchen has one, and there's a granite that is a very dark blue). Could use one of those for the island, and tie in some additional blue accents in other parts of the kitchen. Since your kitchen is large, maybe do a wood island--walnut maybe? Others Here are much more talented at decorating than I am!

You are putting so much thought into your kitchen. It's going to be fabulous!

• lmsscs
    10 years ago

The fridge is very nice, but one thing you might consider is whether the cobalt of the fridge goes with the dark blue in the plates. I think the fridge would go nicely with cream for sure. Your backsplash if you are planning one, will need to be tame. I would suggested a stained finish for the island even with the fridge since I see you have seating with young children. I know I don't want to be cleaning the underside of cabinets on my island.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Speaking to the color alone--absolutely go blue since you really like it. I can't think of a single way a commonplace stainless or white could do for you what the blue does.

Your refrigerator would mostly be seen from the side, and that wall will block much of it from its side, so that would diminish the effect of its mass from most directions.

I have blues. It can be very hard find even two well matching blues, and just two different ones often clash, so something that works is to bring in other blues so you have a spectrum that says blue.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I think the blue would look beautiful! Blues and greens always work better (IMHO) if you use only one shade with other colors...or do several shades so that it doesn't look like they clash.

If it were me, I'd get the blue fridge (which looks more wedgewood in the picture) and mix it in with cobalt blue, some gray/blues and lots of cream and wood tones. Then, you can bring in some accent colors for fun!

That style looks really nice with the other colors, too. The white one is a great alternative to stainless steel...I know many people have asked on the forum about that. The red/burgandy one would look great in the right kitchen and the black one would be perfect with a Victorian kitchen :)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I love that frig! and I think it would look great; that particular color of blue seems like it would be easier to work with than the more turquoise blues pictured above. I have always been fond of blue + chocolate brown so I think it will be a nice combo with your floor. But, blue and cream is trickier for me, the undertones of the cream will have to be right. It would be nice to bring a perhaps paler version of the same shade of blue on at least one wall, or the same shade on the drawers under the oven or the cabinets under the pass-through.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding. We have been on the road making other appliance choices. I was thrilled to see so many helpful responses when I got home. Thank you all for your contributions! Here are a few general answers/reflections:

1)Good point about this fridge not being built in so it can be replaced if desired.

2)We have yet to see the fridge in person (we have to drive a hour away so it is a long distance love affair at this point). I will see how the plates match at that time and see how true to cobalt it is.

3)We had thought about painting the island blue, but I think I would prefer a less bright navy colour. We had also thought about a dark walnut colour as suggested above, but not sure how that would look with a blue fridge. I don't think I could go do either perimeter cabinets, nor island in a royal blue.

4)We will be limited in our ability to match other appliances. The only other appliance we could get in the blue would be the DW. They make a range, but we are doing an induction cooktop and separate oven. So if we did the blue fridge it would have to look good with all stainless appliances.

5)We don't want the fridge to be the major focal point of the kitchen, as we thought the glass cabinet would be. The decorative glass we are going for on the glass cabinet is a repeat of the decorative glass we have on the front door (Lexington glass from Trimlite).

6)I agree that others have asked about alternatives to stainless steel fridges on this forum and there are some great options besides the blue. I am having trouble finding any ratings on this fridge, so the fridge itself needs to function well as a fridge, not just look pretty.

7)You are right that I need to consider balance, and one bold coloured appliance may not work alone

8)We definitely want a stained island colour as mentioned to limit dirt as we have a family. I will get my light painted cabinet fix with the perimeter cabinets.

9)The plates could go in my dining room if they look bad with the fridge. I have another collection of Hummel plates that could go on the kitchen plate shelf (the Hummels are creams, brown colours).

10)Thanks to all who posted on how to tie in the blue colourwise. This is an area that I need help with for sure. You have given me lots to think about. What shade of cream would look okay with the blue?

Thank you all again for your time and thoughts. Sorry to not be able to respond to each and every one of you individually.

Carol

P.S. I am going to try to use the helpful suggestions of how to add an image of the Heartland fridge by editing my initial post (thanks for these tech tips).

• deedles
    10 years ago

I have a green Chambers stove and love it and the color, but... it is the driving force in the design forevermore, just so you know that. Well, unless you get rid of it down the road. I think colored appliance are very cool, though.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lavender for your images! I appreciate the inspiration shots.

Here is an image of a Heartland fridge, but not the exact one as we were thinking about the french door one. It does show the blue. The image shows two single doors side by side. Hopefully, this image will work thanks to the tips from Kksmama and beverly's instructions above.

[Eclectic Kitchen Products[(https://www.houzz.com/products/eclectic-kitchen-products-pcat-br~t_418~s_2104) by Greenville Appliances AGA MARVEL

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

WIth its SS framing there will be no problem with it looking good with other all SS appliances, I think.

Boy, I love that stove too!

I needed to win a lottery, I guess!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Raee- You and me both! LOL

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks raee. Actually the fridges are not that pricey ($2129 for the single door/freezer drawer and $3899 for the french door). However, I think they are dolled up Kitchen-Aids or Marvel/Aga appliances.

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Deedles for your thoughts on how your green stove impacts your kitchen.

Carol

• User
    10 years ago

Remember the difference between love and infatuation. There is a difference between the exciting guy that your family doesn't get along with and the guy who complements you and charms your mom. One might be great for a fling, but by his fundamental nature, probably isn't long term relationship material. One may not be as exciting from the beginning, but for adults, drama is overrated anyway. Steady and reliable win the race.

It's the same for your kitchen. That blue fridge is the undisputed star and center of attention in any kitchen it goes in. If you design your kitchen around that with it as the focal point from the beginning that's quite different than a design in it's final stages----look, there's something shiny! LOL!

Pick your stars. And let everything else be blah even, if it supports those stars.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

OMG, Deedles...if it's the Jadeite green one I am sooo jealous. I drooled over one on Ebay for a few weeks that color. I would have had no problem working that color into my kitchen forever and ever if I could have fit that stove in there. I just would have had my Norge fridge painted to match!

Ontariomom, I am pretty sure you're right on with the fridge's real source-I think last time I looked they were Kitchenaid but I think they might be like (sears) craftsman and send it to bid so it might be different manufacturers in different years. I might be thinking of Big Chill for the "base" being kitchenaid, but I know Elmira and Heartland do the same as they do.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Live_Wire_Oak,

LOL about your unsuitable boyfriend analogy and thanks for your wisdom. You are right that It is later in our design to incorporate another focal point. I would like that glass cabinet not to be upstaged. I think we will go look at the fridge today (a face to face meeting to see if I want to call it quits or not). I might consider the cream colour cousin rather than the blue, if I like the shade of cream. I assume I would have to match the cream appliance with the cream cabinets exactly or it would look bad. Perhaps, I will find a floor model panel ready one that we can afford.

Here's hoping I can find a fridge I like.

Eclectic,

Thanks for your input. I don't think the guts of these Heartland fridges are high end and probably have an 8-10 year life expectancy.