Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctbert

floor tile with red birch cabs and PA soapstone counters

ctbert
9 years ago

Hi everyone
We are trying to decide what to put on our kitchen floor for tile. I love the look online of different multicolor slates that have some tans and greys in them. However, any tiles we have seen in stores are very rough and flaky (not like the black slate in our mudroom, which is fairly smooth).
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Comments (5)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Can you please post pics of the other elements? Are they already installed?

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Porcelain slate lookalikes will have zero shaling, won't scratch, and will never need sealing. Look for ones that have a V5 variability. I'ma big fan of Mannington's Serengeti Slate in the Midnight Mist color after I saw it at LWO's grand opening of her showroom. It was very realistic. Here's a pic from her Houzz page.

[Transitional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2112) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

• ctbert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greenhaven
    Nothing is installed yet
    I have attached a picture of the knick knack shelving and
    A soapstone sample.
    DR floor is oak but we don't want wood in kitchen - partly because
    we don't want the responsibility of it and because
    It feels like too much against the cabinets.

This post was edited by ctbert on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 20:48

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Dal Tile has a couple different series of slate look porcelain tiles. I have seen their Ayers Rock - Rustic Remnant tile installed on a kitchen floor and I think it looks great. I think it would go very well with your other elements without being as dark as some slates. The picture below is from Dal's website.
    {{!gwi}}

My son has chosen Ayers Rock Majestic Mound for his up coming bathroom remodel. It has mostly of grays and beige/light gold in it. It might look good in your kitchen too.
    {{!gwi}}

• ctbert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hollysprings and badgergal
    Thanks for the ideas!
    My husband thinks we should go with porcelain but
    I've really been drawn to the slate look .
    Anyway, I will check them out .