Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatrealfood

Please show photos of tin tile backsplash

EATREALFOOD
11 years ago

I am considering tin tiles for BS near sink. They look like a nice inexpensive option compared to ceramic tiles and look easy to DIY.

Has anyone primed painted and distressed their tiles ? I do not want to spend $42/tile for the white washed silver look.

Comments (13)

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

When you say $42/tile...what size is the tile?

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

24"x24" I should have said "panel" not tile

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

I was going to suggest a website with a more reasonable cost if it was per tile. But it looks like it's not that different. But in case you are interested...here is the link. I was considering this for my kitchen at one time but decided to do a simple 4" subway tile backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Tin Ceilings

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Even more inexpensive is what I had done in our last kitchen in the "old" kitchen. I had found paintable wallpaper, the pattern looked just like cottonpenny's above. I ran the roll horizontallay along the back splash. Painted it with copper metalic paint. Then gave it a coat of sealer. It held up like a champ, could wash it. And I am not kidding you everybody thought it was really tin.

I passed the leftovers along to a friend with a jar of silver metallic paint I had left over from another project. Hers came out great too, and it looks like tin.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I thought these tiles were absolutely gorgeous. I'm trying to figure out a way to use them in my house, they're so pretty. Definitely not the expense you've been looking at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorative Ceiling Tiles .net

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

I had a similar backsplash in my old kitchen. It was easy to install.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Flea Market Trixie also used the wallpaper to great effect, only hers is plain white:

Here is a link that might be useful: flea market trixie's kitchen

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HI all-thanks for your comments/suggestions
    itsallaboutfood-that is the company I am considering. I like the white washed silver so I was thinking I could buy the antique silver prime it and paint it the same color as the cabinets(I have acrylic "soft white" paint from Shiloh)then distress it to let the silver show through. It would be significantly less expensive, about $15(24"x24") compared to $38.
    cottonpenney--that BS looks great. Aren't you the poster who loves "plain English" kitchens ?(I do too)If you are I am happy to see your electric kettle. I put in an outlet near the sink just so I can get one for my sweetheart who drinks many cups of tea...
    CEfreeman--those tiles are nice. I would use the tin(instead of styrofoam) myself. I just think it would hold up better. I contemplated a tin ceiling also. I may still put one up but want to sit back and think about for awhile...
    Beekeeper-your idea was nice looking(& creative) too.
    Mrs.Shayne--that looks really good and I think your new kitchen looks even better(the granite you picked is nice & unusual)
    writersblock--that wallpaper is beautiful. Do you think it would be a problem to remove if I wanted a change ?
    thanks again for posting all the photos--it's great to get ideas.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

No, I don't think it would be a problem. It's just lowes textured wallpaper--very easy to work with. I've used the beadboard pattern in the past and it's quite easy to remove.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

mine was the same as writerblock showed, but with paint. It removed without any trouble, Just like regular wallpaper, just size the wall first.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer. Hers is also painted, but painted the same white as her kitchen walls--she was planning to go turquoise for the walls but liked the way the primer looked so went with white instead.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Sorry for the double post. Meant to say I would paint it for sure--it gives it a more resistant surface, even if you do stay with something that looks like the unpainted paper.