Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
home4all6

using pinterest for kitchen ideas?

home4all6
12 years ago

Do any of you use pinterest for organizing kitchen or other home project ideas? I think it is such a great idea, but I am not currently on it...yet. Still waiting for an invite...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest

Comments (13)

• futuremrsr
    12 years ago

I use Pinterest for EVERYTHING. I am addicted to the site! I can try to invite you if you send me your email address. I think that might be the fastest way to join. My email is donnarocci@yahoo.com
    You can search for just about anything...photo gallery walls, nursery decor, mirrors, art, quotes...you name it and they have pics of it!

• batmansmama
    12 years ago

My entire kitchen remodel is planned out on pinterest. It is perfect for comparing prices and styles. LOVE IT!

• melaska
    12 years ago

How does it compare to Houzz?

• futuremrsr
    12 years ago

Humm....never used Houzz. I will have to check it out. Another fun decorating site is:

Here is a link that might be useful: Olioboard

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I love Pinterest. Hate Houzz.

I didn't have to have an invite to join. ???

• emma1972
    12 years ago

futuremrsr thank you for the Olioboard link. Very cute site, I think that I am going to play with it tonight :)
    home4all6- I like pinterest but for my home design projects I prefer Houzz. It is the best source. They have so many high quality photos and design tips posted by architects.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Thanks for the invitation, futuremrsr.

Can I ask a dumb question? Exactly how does the site work? I can't figure out the best way to use it. Also, I can't install the "pin" thingy on my iPad safari like it suggests. I looked at a few pics and hit "pin", but nothing happened. I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. Maybe the ipad is the problem.

Thanks for not laughing at me.....:)

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I know a few people who use Pinterest. I have an invite, not sure if I joined. I don't use FB or Twitter, and I think you need an account to at least start. Anyone?

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

Breezy - it's like having multiple pin boards for as many different categories as you can dream up. Kind of the internet's version of the old idea file. You can also search by tags or just browse through "everything" which is a running composite of everyone's most recent pins. I pick up a lot of ideas for recipes, crafts and kiddo lunches from the everything.

And don't sweat it not working - it's still pretty buggy! I have the most luck with firefox on my laptop. Muey freezings and errors with Safari and Chrome.

I love Pinterest, in theory, but it kind of burned me out quickly. I got to where if I saw something float by on the "everything" board (which is a feed of everyone's pins) more than three times, my cynic filter writes it off as destined to be dated.

• futuremrsr
    12 years ago

Ah I would never laugh at you breezy. The site is a little confusing. Not sure why you can't use the pin tool bar I have a Mac and have no problems at all. Maybe someone else can help in that area. Honestly I mainly "pin" from others pins and very seldom from the other web sites. Once you are signed in, you immediately will be sent to the "pins"(clipboards) of all the people you follow. This is a way to see what your friends, family or people that you follow have pinned. I found I was constantly pinning from the same persons pins so I am now following her. We have very much the same taste. If you click on EVERYTHING you will go to everyones random pins. You can narrow your search by clicking on the left side ie "weddings". I use the search box all the time. For example, I will enter "photo wall galleries" and so many examples will come up. From this point, if you like something you click on it and simply click "repin" and it will be saved to one of your pin boards. You can rename your board or just add it to the already named boards. You can also add a comment or description if you want to. Also, once you click on the actual item to get a better view of it, often in the right hand corner it will show you the exact link on the web that the pin was originally found on. This will also give you more specific info on the item. For example, if you click on a food item, you can click on the upper right hand corner to get the exact recipe. It sounds confusing but you will get used to it. LMK if you have any other questions. Have fun and happy pinning!

• babs711
    12 years ago

Oh yes! Actually, ALL of my home inspiration boards are on there for our entire home build. I've panicked sometimes, wondering what I'd do if pinterest crashed and lost my boards...that's how much I have saved! It's very user friendly. The pin button on your bookmarks toolbar is a MUST! if you see a photo online, you just hit your "pin it" button and you can immediately save the photo to one of your folders. It takes about three seconds. I even have the app on my iPhone and am anxiously awaiting an iPad app.

I will say that sometimes they experience growing pains or make changes to the site which can cause some glitches or can cause it to shut down for a long while. During those times (because I use it or browse it so darned much daily), I get panicky! Beware, it's a huge time waster! There's actually a funny little saying I saved on my "funny things" board that went something like, "Thanks Pinterest for making me feel super productive when in fact I'm wasting away half my day in front of my computer!"

• Susied3
    12 years ago

I just went to that website, it looks great, it has a "request an invite" button, and it took my email, I checked my email, and it put me on a WAITING list!!

Anyone know what's up with that? It looks like so much fun.

• lalithar
    12 years ago

Anyone have an invite to spare? I would love to try it out.