Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rookie_2010

Share your backsplash pics for a good cause!

rookie_2010
13 years ago

I'm noticing a lot of members are mid backsplash right now. There are many good resources for inspiration such as www.houzz.com and the backsplash slideshow, part of the Finished Kitchen Blog. I agonized over the backsplash too and know how hard it is to make decisions and conceptualize everything grouted with the right grout color, among other things. I wish I'd asked everyone to share when I was trying to decide among the endless materials, combinations, configurations of backsplash.

So please help out some folks and share your backsplash, finished or in progress, plain or fancy. Mine is finished, I just want to see some pics!

Also, feel free to reminisce about your first impression of your backsplash un-grouted or grouted.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Comments (68)

• caffeinequeen
    13 years ago

Shelayne, your kitchen is gorgeous. Can you provide more info on the tile?

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

More, more, more :)

Want to comment on all, but must sleep. So donnie, unbelievable. You are an artist. Beekeepers wife - I never understood why people write silly things like yummy or I heart your tile, but.... I heart your yummy tiles :) The surface is really decadent and love the shape. An example of my tile nirvana - classic, beautiful, but interesting and fun.

Shelayne - Your tile is lovely and unique as you wanted to be. I am laughing but after the no canister thread I am going to ask where you go the onion and potato canisters and if you really use and like them. I am looking for someplace to put those things...I am concerned that the basket in the drawer I have them in now will lead to heat and mold.

More backsplashes, please :)

• leela4
    13 years ago

Yes, please please as I may have to buy a new range to go with the backsplash I want . . . hmm, that may be backwards thinking (which is all I can manage right now)

• shelayne
    13 years ago

First of all-KitchenAddict, with THAT gorgeous rock and your yummy cabs, you could have feathers on your wall, and your kitchen would still be incredible! *drooool*

Caffeinequeen, thank you very much for the kind words. My tile is extra el-cheapo tile. I bought it at Menard's--well except for the beaded liner, that is from Lowe's, and the mosaic I bought online from WholesalersUSA.com. Seriously, my "subway" tiles were 12 cents a piece-LOL!

I bought various sizes of field tiles, several styles of listellos (the decorative tiles), liners, and the chair rail, and played with them on my living room floor until I found a design I liked. I have to confess when we first set the tiles, I was thinking, "WHAT have I done?" It just looked all wrong. I knew enough that grout would totally change the look, and it certainly did! *Whew* All of the tile--save the mosaic, of which I didn't need a lot--was very inexpensive. We just went with plain bright white unsanded grout from Home Depot.

Sparklekitty, I bought my canister set from Chefs online. Yes, I use them--in fact the potato canister has some in it right now, and I used the last onion the other day. The ones I originally wanted were a white metal--kinda vintage looking, but they only have the garlic (or is it onion?) one left, and I wanted the potato one the most. I do love the ceramic ones, though! Having them on the counter reminds me that I have potatoes and onions that I need to use. ;^)

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Canisters

• chol1024
    13 years ago

Wow... wow... WOW!!! These pictures are just drool-worthy! Thanks for sharing! We're getting ready to do our backsplash in a few weeks and I really appreciate all the ideas!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

since rookie did ask us to put up photos before and after grout, I wanted to add some photos of "during" the tile install. They weren't in my photo bucket account, but I added them last night. I think they are sort of interesting:

These photos show it 1/2 grouted, stopping in the corner:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

No grout:

{{!gwi}}

Quality Control Station:

Tough Decisions had to be made:

Ok, ok, so we were getting rather punchy, after all it was

... in the morning and the job started at 10 am the day before. You can see in the background (of the photo of QC station) how far we got that day...it was a very long day, and so was the next day. After a few hours sleep, it was back to work and completed by 4pm.

• doonie
    13 years ago

shelayne, I love your white tiles with that happy periwinkle blue! Great job. I love periwinkle too and find myself wearing it a lot!

I thought I'd post how scary mine looked when all the pieces came and we were trying to lay out the pattern. I was sick to my stomach and wondering what I had done. Then it gets put on the wall and you still wonder what in the heck you were thinking. Then the grout makes it all better!

{{!gwi}}

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Here is mine - 6x6 Matte Biscuit from Lowes on clearance at 22 cents/tile and 1x1 Kaleidoscope Glass-Melted Sugarcane from buytile.com. I'm on to picking out tile for the master bath now and looking at all these gorgeous backsplashes in definitely getting me in the mood to look at tile. :)

• luvmyhouse_2010
    13 years ago

One picture of mine. I am trying to learn how to post pictures so this is a test:

">

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shelayne,
    Every little tidbit I've seen of your kitchen looks soooo pretty. I LOVE the backsplash and what I can see of the hardware. I can't wait to see the whole thing! Have you posted any pictures of the whole space yet? Did I miss them?

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

Here is mine...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

There are plenty of old timers here that I'm sure are sick of seeing my kitchen! :-) But ... for those just starting to make decisions, I will post it again.

Jeffrey Court Chapter 9 Pietra Opus Quartz Brick Fire & Ice.

Jodi-

• Danahills
    13 years ago

Here's mine. It's copper tile.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Jodi, nobody gets sick of your kitchen! Your kitchen has been a huge inspiration--especially your Fire & Ice backsplash which is amazing!

Rookie, no finished photos yet. We've still got a bit to go. Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully this fall....

I am just swooning over all these fantastic backsplashes! Seriously, they are works of art!

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Love these pix! Like jodi, my pix have been here a few times, but to add to this post, here's our Walker+Zanger Antequera BS...

Eliz

• calimama
    13 years ago

Jodi and Eliz - I certainly could never get tired of seeing your backsplashes! Couldn't get enough when I was trying to figure out mine. Which inspired me to choose what I did:

Thanks for the help!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Here are 2 interesting tile pix I found in my travels:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Bump ... We need more contributions.

• allie22031
    13 years ago

I wish mine was done so I could share....maybe someday. :)

The tile arrives on Thursday.

Allie

• ms.hazel
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, I love that last image! I don't suppose you have any more info ...

• theanimala
    13 years ago

Here's ours which has been posted several times in the past, sorry... White Glass Subway with Stainless Steel mini subway by the cooktop.

• steelerfan_2010
    13 years ago

Here is ours - also has been posted several times.
    Seneca Tiles Seashore Rhomboid with Antique Gold Large Ogee Frame

{{!gwi}}

Graal Almond 6x6 field tiles with seashore rhomboid accents
    {{!gwi}}

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Okay, here's mine: Gratzi Rixi crema subways and 5 x 5's, dore (yellow) listellos, beaded, frame and button tiles.

• clergychick
    13 years ago

(Sorry about that really weird pic situation. That's what I get for trying to post pics from my mini computer. --Amy)

• nhbaskets
    13 years ago

I've posted mine before also, but thought I'd join the party.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Amy, I so wanted Rixi tiles, but that just wasn't in the budget! I loooove your niche!

I have to check this thread a few times every day, as I love to see all these amazing backsplashes--so many with so much personality, too!

• straycat2010
    13 years ago

Fantastic thread !

@theanimala: what is your countertop made of and what color is that?

• prill
    13 years ago

Can't believe I didn't see this thread before today...
    Mine is Winchester Tile from England. The color is Sudbury. it looks a bit gray in the pics, but it's green.

• marcy96
    13 years ago

I never get tired of seeing all your beautiful backsplashes! Mine's been posted before also - behind my raised back gas range - almond-beige honed marble tiles.

{{!gwi}}

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Prill,
    That is a BEAUTIFUL shade of green! It looks so pretty next to your counters.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Which one ya wanna see? :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Website's Backsplashes Gallery

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

dianalo's new thread about using a faux brick stencil for a backsplash made me remember this fave of mine, an extremely affordable and decorative paint backsplash using a stencil. Kudos to girlcat36--scroll down to her photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: faux tile backsplash

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Another modest backsplash idea: stripes of paint. I just love this. Am considering trying this, using an irregular pattern of stripes including metallic silver, putty gray, off-white on a brick red background. An I nuts?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• dancingcook
    13 years ago

Love this thread! Here is my backspash: simple 4x4 on a diagonal, with randomly placed (although not as random as she wanted them to be) accent tiles designed by my daughter :)

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Bill, what a great gallery! That's a great addition to this thread. Many different inspirational ideas!

• luvmyhouse_2010
    13 years ago

bump for kiwilee...my cabs do not show but the granite is perfect with the cabs!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I have two, posted many times over the years.

Must say, the first one in 4 colors of 4 x 4" in rookie's 8/16 post sure looks inspired by my Ann Sacks Sur La Mer tile finished and posted here from time to time since 2004 LOL

The one in our apartment was done last year. It's Barbara Barry tile in Glossy Fog (AS Essentials) 2x4" subways.

The thing they have in common is they both go from counter to ceiling. TTJ (true tile junkie) style.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am seriously torn... while I love tile, I also love faux paint, when done well. It is like asking which kid I love more, lol....

Those fake Talavera looking tiles are amazing. I was up close to my monitor and I swear I would never have guessed.

The stripes are also an interesting choice. I think if chosen and done well, that could be a budget saver that looks fabulous :)

I think Bill's Botticino star behind the cook top is stellar (pun intended). Bravo on that granite tile bs as well. That took some real workmanship!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Rookie, are you the good cause?

Just asking....:-),,,

• trish21
    13 years ago

Here's mine for the thread. It has been posted before, sorry.

And here is my all time favorite. Next kitchen remodel... ;0)

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

For those who like a more retro look . . .

Ungrouted glass tiles with stainless accents ungrouted.

Finished with grout. The white grout really makes it pop.

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Florantha,
    Thankfully, my backsplash-picking-out days are over. So, I'm not the cause but I am really loving this thread.....

• allie22031
    13 years ago

Finally have some backsplash pictures to show. We are still moving in, so just look at the tile. :)

Allie

• karen_belle
    13 years ago

Here's my newly finished backsplash. We worked hard at this, making many different trial pictures using Sketch-Up. DH was not a fan of the random pattern but finally agreed to go along with it. When it first went up I felt ... a little anxious, but I am very pleased with how the whole kitchen came together. And I still love that blue tile.

• marytwit
    13 years ago

Karen belle --

*Love* your backsplash! It is gorgeous. I'm sure it took a lot of tries to get the colors and pattern so well balanced.

• dar5
    13 years ago

Allie...love your granite/backsplash combination and the warmth of your kitchen. What granite did you use for the island?

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

3" hex tiles in polished Calcutta marble~

• misplacedtxgal
    13 years ago

shanghaimom, have a larger picture of your kitchen to post? I'd love to see the overall look! What is your countertop?

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Hi Kayl,

Here is a link to my kitchen w/ pics. The counters are Zodiaq quartz in Mystic Black which is a charcoal gray color with tiny sparkly flecks.

Here is a link that might be useful: shanghaimom's kitchen

• allie22031
    13 years ago

dar5 - they called it Bossa Nova. A version of Crema Bordeaux.