Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Does your lighting finish match your hardware?

vdinli
9 years ago

I will have stainless steel appliances, sink, brushed nickel hardware in my kitchen along with cherry cabinets, dark floors and cream/gray mix granite. Should I stick with Brushed Nickel tones for the lighting fixtures or can I do black tones? The black tones have more of a presence where as the Brushed Nickel ones kind of disappear. I am looking for a dining room fixture, two pendants over the peninsula, a foyer and hallway fixture. All fixtures can be seen from each other.
Thanks for any advice.

Comments (14)

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I certainly don't think they have to match. Homes are evolving, it doesn't have to look like you bought everything at the same time. I don't even think the lights finishes have to exactly match, but it's just easier for non-decorators to choose what goes with something, when everything matches. Most decorators mix it up a bit. Choose things you love.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Our kitchen is still only in my mind, but I know for certain our metals will not match.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

My appliances and pulls are similar to yours and my light fixtures are ORB, as is my faucet.

I like the way it looks and I'm sure yours will also look nice.

• bowbat
    9 years ago

Nope. Our kitchen right now has stainless appliances, brushed nickel hardware, and dark bronze light fixtures (well, one is red enamel and bronze). I tend to prefer a mix of metals as I think it makes a space look more personal.

• aprilmack
    9 years ago

My selections are similar to what bowbat has. We have stainless appliances, nickel hardware, and oil rubbed bronze fixtures.

• jgopp
    9 years ago

Mine match, but I don't think it's a thing you absolutely need to do. I've seen oil rubbed bronze matched with stainless very well. Especially when appliances don't come in many color options.

• wingirl_imisstheoldgardenweb
    9 years ago

Nope, it is more interesting to mix it up. Don't be afraid! We recently built and my husband was sure everything should match. I convinced him to let me do mixed hardware - ORB handles, chrome facuets, and copper pendant lights. Now he loves it. It gives the space more of a designer feel and less builder grade.

• CTN30
    9 years ago

Ours is not all going to match. There will be two pendant lights over an island which are glass, but with the "oil-rubbed bronze" metal. The sink faucet is chrome, and it's looking as though cabinet hardware is going to be brushed nickel, though I have yet to pull the absolute final trigger on that.

• vdinli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am so sorry for not coming back earlier to thank you for your responses. It helped a lot though I now have a bigger pool of fixtures to choose from! Lighting has been the hardest thing to pick so far :-) Thanks!

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

I like a mix. Our old house had ORB cabinet hardware, stainless plumbing and glass with polished nickel fixtures. It looked great together and was one of the reasons that the new owners (our new friends) loved the kitchen.

This remodel will have PN, BN, and stainless. We're tying two rooms together and the FR has BN hardware where the kitchen will have PN with stainless appliances.

gothaml, I look forward to seeing your lighting! I'm betting it's going to look wonderful.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Ours will not, kinda. So we're going with a graphite (blackish charoalish) hardware, we have stainless door handles throughout the house, and our lighting we're trying for will be black. We have ss appliances too, and a brushed nickel/stainless faucet.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I'm "matchy matchy" so all finishes in my entire house match (brushed nickel)!

• this_old_1969_ranch
    9 years ago

Mine match, but I have no issue with mixing finishes. Take the option that you love the most.