Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Rhome and others...will this work?

lavender_lass
11 years ago

Okay, I know this is plan 1,242 but I have had some recent events that have changed my plans, considerably. If things work out, we will keep the farm and try to make the remodel as handicap accessible as possible. If not...well, let's just hope things work out :)

My kitchen plan is similar to what I had before, but I'm turning the island to make it more accessible from the range and adding a prep sink. I want to prep facing people, as well as have a second prep area between the main sink and range. The baking area is on the other side of the kitchen, but since there's an oven with the range...I think that will be fine.

So, what do you think? Here's my plan (sorry it's a mess, but asking for help with the blanks on another forum) and a picture (without the french doors) of a kitchen I like with the island and range.

{{gwi:1482079}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures
{{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Comments (28)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lavender - not Rhome but trying to see the details in your plan. I am having trouble reading the fine print.

I like what I can figure out - The DW, range (do you have wall oven or cooktop) and fridge are fine. The island looks great for clearance.

What is up that you are suddenly concerned about accessibility?
    There are some good resources for making an area accessible - depending on the overall needs.

Feel free to email me (but not good at checking very often) but will give it a try.

Take care

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Gemini...here's a little closer version, but it's a bit light. And that's a range, with a wall oven in the baking area (wall to the front hall).
    {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

I'll email you, later :)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

"keep the farm"? "handicapped accessible"? This sounds more serious than losing bunny tiles (although I was sorry about that). Not much advice to give, although I wish you all the best. From what I can tell, the layout looks OK to me, but I'm not a guru.

One thing I can say, when I was looking - fruitlessly- for french door or side-swing ovens, I learned that Fagor and Frigidaire side-swing ovens were considered to be more accessible. American Range makes that great french door oven, but I think it was over $6500 for a double. I'm hoping that you don't need an accessible oven, though.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

can't read the measurements but it looks like it has larger spaces on either side of the island.

It looks to keep the regular prep area - fridge, sink, stove w/in reason to fix meals w/o hiking around the room.

how about the doors to sun porch and hallway?

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

From Small Homes forum - see link. So, the new classes you are attending isn't the reason you were going to cease posting for awhile?

Here is a link that might be useful: thread

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Lavender-lass- I am so sorry about whatever is going on that you must address accessibility before you had planned. I am sending along a link that has some excellent information regarding ADA design - it's not a design savvy piece but it has information we might not normally think of.
    Please keep us posted when you can. Your posts are always so lovely - I know I'm not alone in sending positive thoughts your way.

Here is a link that might be useful: ADA

• sqp1015
    11 years ago

Lavender lass, I wish I could offer the kind of layout help (& fabulous photos) that you've been so generous with to me. What I can see of your plan looks very workable, but I really just wanted to post with my most hopeful thoughts for the best possible outcome for your situation. The dish rack in your latest photo made me smile.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

lavender- I've been thinking about you! I almost posted to see if all was okay b/c I haven't seen you on much.

I think your plan looks really good from what I can see and I hope all will work out with regard to your recent events.

Know that you are in our thoughts!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

So not a layout guru ( check out my finished kitchen and see all the mistakes I made:) but wanted to send hugs and hope your DH is doing better()()()

• Fori
    11 years ago

This looks nice. I've missed previous iterations so I don't know how this compares, but I could live with this. :)

Accessible is a good goal, whether you need it now or later.

Pocket doors for bathrooms and bedrooms if you can (and good ones of course!). Some appliances work better with wheelchairs (one more plug for dish drawers). No retro range with knobs in the back. And if you haven't decided on a vintage style sink yet, it can fit into an accessible design. You know, legs. Or wallmount. You wouldn't be too stuffy for a skirt in front of the kitchen sink would you?

I know you've been taking your time with this plan (and I thoroughly approve of that) but definitely don't rush ADA aspects of the remodel plan unless you have to. It's a whole new way to look at things and there will be a learning period to figure out what's what.

Good luck!

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Lavender,

I tried to build an accessible house and kitchen to accommodate my elderly mom. Some of the things I did was height of the prep and cooking area. Providing someplace to sit and prep.. A separate prep sink. Tap master, foot pedal for trash. A dishwasher that is a drawer type.. Induction instead of just gas..motion sensor lights etc. I know you will think through all of this and plan this as well. There is a lot of information out there and it is very doable if ou plan upfront. Best wishes ..

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

I am particularly partial to the plan you had that had a door going out to the back where you could have a court yard and/or herb garden. I also liked the greenhouse to the side in that plan. That whole layout just seemed to have a "farmhousy" feel to it and was great for a gardener, canner type of person. This plan, however, is more open and accessible to all the rooms in the house and does provide a nice patio area for entertaining. It has a more contemporary feel to it and looks like it would work better for wheel chair access. I have not been on the site for awhile so I am missing what has changed in your family. I hope all goes well for you. Please let us know what has changed drastically for you! Keeping you in prayers!

• rosie
    11 years ago

I think it's terrific, but then we apparently share a lot of the same tastes because virtually every idea you post suits me too.

You know, every space you show there seems particularly well designed to me and as if would be an especially nice place to be. I'm glad to see that great living room is back. The warm, multifunctioning but elegant dining room that I really don't think can be beat. That lovely sun porch that to me every home should have, even if not everyone wants a night-chilly place to grow plants in winter (like me), or lives in zone 4, or is it 3? The entry hall and vestibule seem excellent too--charming, inviting and wonderfully sensible in a nice, old fashioned way. Of course, the excellent kitchen in the middle of it all.

Each of your rooms is meant for everyday living and offers something very special that one big room just cannot. I just like that so much.

In any case, after all this I have no amazing changes to suggest for your kitchen. It's too well designed. If you want to see people in the living room while you cook, how nice that orienting your island that way works so nicely.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words...and Secondhalf for the link :)

Schoolhouse- I was going to take a few classes, but that will have to wait until later.

I'm waiting for a few important phone calls (trying to work a half day today) before going back to the hospital. I can't really go into details online, but I do appreciate all your support and well wishes. I'm very hopeful my husband will be feeling better, soon.

For now, I'm tweaking my floor plan, mainly to have something else to think about, if for only a few minutes. My grandmother used to crochet something extremely difficult, to take her mind off everything else. For me, garden and house plans seem to be the best way to do that. Probably why I've played with so many versions of this farmhouse for the past few years. Not only wanting to get everything just right, but also to keep focused on something else, if only for a little while.

So, if anyone has any ideas for the laundry, mudroom and master suite...feel free to sketch in the left side of the plan. And thanks, again.

• springroz
    11 years ago

Love you, LL! Praying for you and DH.

Nancy

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Nancy...I appreciate that!

Ellen- Since you asked how my husband is doing, I thought I'd bump up this thread, rather than taking over the other one.

The short answer...better, but still not great. Long answer...why the #*$& is it taking four weeks to get better, when it was supposed to take a few days? I am $#^&$# tired of running a business and a farm by myself...and driving 45 minutes each way into the hospital EVERY DAY!!!

I can't go into specifics, but this is so frustrating. The doctors are saying he should make a full recovery, but right now he's not walking. And, he keeps falling out of bed, because he wakes up, thinking he can walk. It happened again this morning and I am seriously losing patience. This is the first time it's happened at this hospital, but I'm hoping it's the last time it happens...anywhere.

So, although I'm fristrated, overall the news is hopeful (even good) so I'm trying to stay positive. All this does have me thinking about handicap accessibility, though. Even if it's just for any future guests/older relatives, it still makes sense to plan for all possibilities.

Thanks for letting me vent! I do feel a bit better :)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Hi there.
    Take that famous breath.
    Obviously I/we don't know what's up, but let's say I know how it can be just plain trauma when your whole life changes in an instant.

I also know planning my rebuild kept me sane during horrible times. Something else to focus on and a good avenue to plan for contingencies. My house is handicapped accessible (as far as wheelchair widths is concerned) except for this onnnnne smalllll set up to the porch. I know when I rebuild my porch? It'll be gone.

We're all thinking of you.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

(((best of all possible wishes for you and dh))). Glad you have the designing as a distraction. All the pressure and worry sounds very bad, but we're rooting for you both!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lavender - sending you and DH positive energy - you need it and I have a bit extra as everyone sent me so much when my DH crashed his bicycle want to share with you.

You are a special person on GW and have such wonderful ideas. Let us know if we can help in any way. Not sure where you live - but maybe some of us can help you out if we are near you.

God Bless!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

lavender- I've been thinking of you and miss "seeing" you on GW. You are a great person and I wish you and your dh the best. I hope all will get back to normal asap!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

((((hugs))))

wishing you all the best.

bee

• kellyp123
    11 years ago

I can not help in the design department, but can pray for you and your husband. Sorry about what you are going through and that things improve soon.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, for the very kind responses. It really makes me feel much better, to know my GW friends are sending us such good thoughts :)

As for the hospital, I got a call at 6:30 this morning...my husband fell out of bed, again. At least they had some mats down on each side of the bed, this time. He's on a new medication, which is supposed to help, but takes 4 or 5 days to really work. For now, he's very confused, especially when he first wakes up. They will probably have someone in the room with him from now on, especially in the morning.

As for everything else...I'm just doing my best and hoping that he gets better, soon. Thanks again and I'll let you know if/when he starts feeling more normal, again.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Hoping for a speedy recovery. Come here to vent as often as you like. That is what we are here for. :)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

You haven't gotten specific, which is fine, but is he at the hospital still or in rehab? Hospitals no longer have the staff to ambulate patients, so even the healthiest patients can lose the ability to walk very quickly. Real rehab can make a big difference with that. Best of luck.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I'll pray for you and your husband, too!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, again for all the thoughtful responses.

Marcolo- He was at the hospital, then went to rehab and ended up back in the hospital. Not much more I can say about that, but I'm hoping he'll be better soon.

• tamarahl
    11 years ago

Hi LL - Just want you to know that I was touched by your thoughtful post on my layout question, and searched your name to find out more about you. I am sorry you are going through difficult times with your husband's illness. My Mom had MS and was a quadrip at the end, so I know how important it is to make a home accessible to a wheel chair. I wish you strength during this time, and I hope your husband makes a speedy recovery. Cheers, Tamara

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz