Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
letter100

Appliance garage too wide?

letter100
14 years ago

Would 36 inch wide appliance garage be too wide, maybe not easy to open? (regular over counter 18 inch high) Anyone have one, have photos?

Comments (14)

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

My appliance garage is 30", the pullout drawer is 21 1/2 ". Haven't used it yet so I can't tell you how well it's going. I did have them put an outlet inside it and doors that retract (if that's the right word).

• letter100
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do those doors hide like pocket doors between the double sides? Interesting... I was thinking of a garage door that slides up (those horizontal thin pieces of wood flexibly attached together, not a full door). I was also not thinking of a pullout drawer. This is the first time I see it in a garage! Actually, I was thinking there would be no cabinet floor there, so appliances would stand on the countertop and could be slided out if needed...

• flseadog
    14 years ago

I think what you are describing is called a tambour door that sort of rolls up. I have had this type of door in the past and just don't care too much for the appearance but this is just a personal preference, I think. Our current appliance garages are 30" wide with lift up doors that have the same pulls as our other cabinet doors. With this arrangement we can slide appliances out and use them without the need to lift and place them elsewhere for use. Although I say we have "doors", each appliance garage in actuality has one 30" wide door that looks like 2 cabinet doors. I think that our garage doors would be just as easy to lift if they were 36" wide rather than 30". HTH.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

i will have a series of three appliance garages which will slide out of the backsplash on roll outs. each will be around 30" wide and the doors will lift up (not a tambour though). the microwave, coffee machine, toaster and other things will hide in there.
    so, not a typical garage since it acts as a backsplash, if you can imagine. i don't think i'm explaining it very well but in any case i think yours looks proportionate and i'll have a few just as wide. what do you plan to store in yours?

• judydel
    14 years ago

My appliance garages are also 30" wide. The cabinet sits on the soapstone, so when you open the doors the soapstone is what's inside. At 30" they are pretty roomy. My doors just swing open. I can take a photo of the doors open if you want, but not until tomorrow.

• wildebloem
    14 years ago

I am building an appliance garage at the bottom of an 8' wide cabinet that is recessed into a wall. I plan on using the entire width. It will have a series of doors, I am not sure yet if I want them to go up or out. The bottoms will slide out for easier access. Whatever space I have left after all of the appliances are in I will use as a plate rack (where the plates stand upright) and for other dishes.

My question: what is a good height for an appliance garage?

• judydel
    14 years ago

I believe 18" is standard. It depends on the height of your tallest appliances I suppose.

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

Hi Letter 100. I may have a unique appliance garage because I took away my upper cabinets over my sink to open up a view I have in my backyard. Because of that I don't have much counter space in the work area of the kitchen so I used cabinet space for the garage. The thought behind the slide in doors was I could keep my garage open at all times and close it when company arrived. The slide out drawer because I am not using counter space.

• ovenbird
    14 years ago

We have a wide garage for the toaster oven and microwave in our built-in hutch. The inside dimensions are 54"W x 14"H x 16"D. It was planned to be a little taller, but the hinges and door used up more space than originally thought. The door is up most of the time...only close it when we have company! The door is very easy to work if using both knobs, but a little heavy if using just one hand.

Here's a picture (try not to focus on the receptacle as we've replaced it with a black one!)

• wildebloem
    14 years ago

ovenbird - how tall is the garage?

• ovenbird
    14 years ago

wildebloem, the interior height is 14".

• wildebloem
    14 years ago

Oops, you did say that, ovenbird - overload on my part (we are building a whole house, tons of information). The 14" looks more than adequate. I will take that size and judydel's suggestion of 18" or tallest appliance and start measuring what I want in there. I do want pull-out shelves, have to remember to allow for them.

• ovenbird
    14 years ago

wildebloem, we also have a "sort of garage" that does not have a door. I guess it's more of a niche. It's 19"W X 16"H X 19"D. Right now we have the food processor and coffee maker in it, and I'm thinking of getting a blender which would also go in it. I like the size and use of the corner space, but would probably have liked it a little higher...maybe 18" like judydel's suggestion. I do have to pull the coffee maker out when I want to use the food processor, but that's not a big deal.

Good luck with your house!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH