Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP Please! Builder installed marble counters( chipped edges)

Posted by hopee1983 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 13:36

Dear Members,

Our builder installed marble counter that has some chipped edges. Also the counter top is not one slab so they joined 2 slabs right in between the faucet and the seam lines exactly with the middle of the sink. The seam is prominent but that is not my concern. It's carrara marble and I am really worried about the water from the faucet shooting directly at the seam.

Do you think we should make a big fuss about this and get it fixed before we close, it's a new house. We paid a lot of money to upgrade it to carrara counter tops.

Please Help! Thanks a lot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP Please! Builder installed marble counters( chipped edge

The seam in my granite counter is also in the middle of the sink. It's the way to get the shortest seam. You don't even see the part behind the faucet. I don't know about marble, but granite seams are sealed with epoxy. I don't think there is an issue with water splashing.

The chips are another matter. The stone shouldn't be chipped before it's even put on. That should be addressed. If the chips aren't too big, they may be able to be smoothed down. If they're big, then you shouldn't have to accept it. So yes, I'd make a big fuss about it.

o

Call your fabricator, you should not have any chips on a newly installed counter. They should be able to fix it.

o

The middle of the sink is the ideal place for a seam as it is the least visible place. So, no, I wouldn't complain about that. The chips--it depends where they are and how large they are.

o

No chips! I would definitely complain. They installed my island and the two corners were chipped during transport. The fabricator sent up an expert who did epoxy voodoo magic and you can't tell. Now mine were on the bottom edge. If it is on the top edge of the counter top, I would worry about it being more likely to chip again.

Word of warning - marble chips - especially around the sink, so tell everyone to be careful about putting heavy pots and the like in the sink. Makes me wish I had gotten the farmhouse sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here