Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julize_gw

Recommend your kitchen paint color (with pics!)

julize
12 years ago

Yikes--I just found out our contractor wants to start painting at the end of this week and I haven't picked a paint color yet. I always thought paint was one of the last steps but apparently I was wrong. I think I need some serious help. Our cabs are white, counters will be soapstone and floors are hardwood (red oak). Anyone out there with a similar kitchen who's in love with their wall color? If so, it would be great to see a picture! At the moment I'm leaning toward something in the brown or green family but am open to other options as well. Thx

Comments (28)

• Lesyeuxbleu
    12 years ago

Best of luck to you! I know how you feel, our painters are coming tomorrow! and we have been to the paint store 3 times in 2 days. Bought 10 quarts of paint and still can't decide. Sorry that I can't be any help. Other than - you must buy sample quarts and paint them in your new home if at all possible. The color on a sample is just not at all the same as on a wall. I have also learned that you need to see the same color paint on more than one wall (one lit, one shadowed) if you can see it at different times of day - it will change. The lighter the color, the more it will reflect it's surroundings' color...

Do you know where they are buying the paint? Can you go down and get some samples? Actually you could probably go to any shop to get paint samples, and then have them match the color.

I am hoping that your question will help me too=). Or else we are going to do White. (no really)

Good luck

• enduring
    12 years ago

Hi there, I have BM Titanium and think it is lovely. It is a greenish gray, very light. We have a small north facing kitchen. This pic shows the wall color next to white primer and my cherry cabinets. That is north facing light coming into the room. Very subtle so I don't know how it will stand up to white cabinets. I think it has yellow oxide and black for colorant.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

*bump!*

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

BM Revere Pewter and Edgecomg Gray are two very nice, neutral greiges that I've come across fairly often here. Revere Pewter is a strong contender for me at this point. Its more gray. Both are soothing in my house and light.

I'm also diggin' on my test board of Balboa Mist. Another chameleon greige.

It seems like many of us get schocked about how early the painting is done. I also thought that wall color was close to last and found out differently. I wish someone had told me I needed to get a move on with paint earlier!

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

I would go to a paint store that sells Benjamin Moore Paints. Take the names of the paints mentioned here in and look at the chips. If any appeal to you, buy a sample can. Our store here sells pints for about $7...test them out. I find that if I can narrow the choice to 3, then the final CHOICE is easier. FWIW...I think a greige color or a soft warm yellow would look fantastic with your other choices in your kitchen. :o)

• mythreesonsnc
    12 years ago

I love our paint color, it is Greenbrier Beige (Ben Moore). It is similar to Bennington Grey, and is tannish greige with some green for sure. It has worked out great! Unfortunately, this pic is darkish (stormy day when I took it), but the color is great!

• jgs7691
    12 years ago

If you want to go the beige route, another vote for BM Greenbrier Beige, which I shamelessly copied from methreesonsnc and LOVE! Mind you, we have cherry stained cabinets, not white, but I think it is the perfect beige -- no pink undertone, just the slightest greenish-gray.

On the other hand, we used a very nice green with grayish undertones in the adjacent powder room and I think it would be perfect for the color combos you describe. It's called SW Svelte Sage. (I used to have SW Fen in my kitchen, and it was beautiful, too -- it's no longer out at SW, but they can mix it up. I also used "SW Koi Pond" in my office, which would also be a nice choice for you.)

I'll see if I can take some pictures to help.

Remember, the paint is the easiest thing to change later, so don't stress TOO much on this choice. Good luck!

• editionk
    12 years ago

I learned about this blog here on GW. Scroll through and see what sparks your interest. Good luck and (try to) have fun :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Paint Colors Blog

• ginny20
    12 years ago

My GC prefers Muralo Ultra Ceramic. I chose a grayish green called Dillard, which is a color by Bruning (#8426). There was a pretty Muralo color called Gift of Green which was similar. These paints are usually sold by dedicated paint stores, who can mix any color into the Muralo paint. It's worth checking them out. I didn't know about Muralo, but it's very highly spoken of on the Paint Forum.

I'd give you a picture, but they're still priming.

• rickyk22
    12 years ago

we have off white cabinets with ubatuba granite and wood floors. we used benjamin moore splendor. Sorry that it isnt the greatest picture but it is a nice greenish/beige color and we are very happy with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: benjamin moore

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I don't have a good picture, but in our old house, I used SW Harmonic Tan and loved it. It changed color depending on the light. Sometimes greenish, at other times goldish, or tanish.

In the new house I used SW Latte, which is a beautiful color.

• julize
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. These posts are incredibly helpful. Would welcome any additional suggestions. I think I may have convinced our contractor to give us through the weekend to decide.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

If you are looking for a creamy off white (yellow undertones), consider Benjamin Moore Marble White. We ended up going with the almost same Devine Whip because I had bought the paint untinted at the previous sale. The two color are almost interchangeable they are so close. I do not have good pix that feature the paint yet.

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

We have SW Whole Wheat in our kitchen now. We have cherry-chocolate birch cabinets and wood floors, so not the same cabinets as yours, but it's a nice color. It has a green undertone to it, especially at night.

{{!gwi}}

We're planning on replacing the mismatched white dishwasher soon.

However, since we've had this color up for around 5 years, I want to change it. I want to repaint with SW Blonde, which is a yellow-gold. I have that color now in one of the bedrooms and I love it.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I have Valspar colors that I had mixed at BM. The lighter gray is Coastal Villa, and the darker one is Italian Leather.

On the paint strip, these color do not look gray, more of a taupe. My granite has gray in it.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

My kitchen is Sagharbor Gray. It's grayish-greenish-tannish. One of those chameleon types of colors that is serene, earthy/a little outdoorsy without being dull or too strong. But that makes it hard to photograph... My kitchen is obviously not white and soapstone, but after working with this color, I could see it looking great with those materials/colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen paint saga

• DreamItCanBe
    12 years ago

Here is our BM Pashemere. It is a gray/beige neutral that I love! My home is open concept with bright white trim, creamy white cabinets, and Cambria Windermere countertops. I have gotten tons of compliments on the color and think it's hard to go wrong with the BM Affinity colors - I have a whole house full of them!

Here is a link that might be useful: DreamItCanBe Kitchen

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Gosh,
    I hope I am not tooo late. Here are some ideas...
    ~boxerpups

I currently have Sage Tint BM

Here is a close up

Lennox Tan

I love Soft Fern BM

Stoney Ground Farrow and Ball

Olive Sherwin Williams

Wedgewood Gray BM

Edgewood Green Ellen Kennon

Vert De Terre Farrow and Ball

Haze Green Pratt and Lambert

Palladian Blue BM

Cedar Grove BM

Peau de Soie Benjamin MOore

Twig Basket Behr

Baby Turtle BM

The pic below are kitchens with black counters and green or
    brown/beige on the walls. Not sure the specific paint colors

Notice the ceiling is painted

• enduring
    12 years ago

Great paint pics boxerpups! Neat to see as swatches and used in rooms.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

There is just a small amount of paint visible over the window. It's BM Aura paint called Truffle. The trim and cabinets are BM Lambskin.

• gardengrl66 z5
    12 years ago

BM Vale Mist (sorry for the ongoing construction but the soapstone is there to compare, along with a little triangle of oak floor peeking up through the cardboard)
    {{!gwi}}

• sweetandrew
    12 years ago

Sorry I don't have pics, but if you're stopping by a SW store this weekend, here are the options our designer selected for our white kitchen (see "Pics of Yet Another Almost Finished White Kitchen" thread) and her comments on each color.

(1) SW 6386, Napery (YELLOW): This light buttery color will tie in very well with the remainder of the house. It will also look good with blues and greens. Cons: This color is not as cool as the other choices and may not give you the crisp look you are being drawn to in the magazine pics you shared with me.

(2) SW 6421, Celery (GREEN): This crisp and cool green with look great with your blue and white dishes and ties in well with the rest of the house. Banquette upholstery could be done in a blue and white them to help tie in the dishes. Cons: May not be as sophisticated as the look you were desiring.

(3) SW 6246, North Star (BLUE GRAY, THE COLOR WE CHOSE): This color of blue will look beautiful with the white cabinets, countertops, and blue and white dishes. If used, green could be used as a complimentary color in the banquette upholstery.

Thought I'd pass this along so someone else could possibly benefit from the design fee we paid for this. :)

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

I hope I'm not too late to be helpful. I just repainted my kitchen a couple of weeks ago -- BM Sherwood Tan. It's another one of those chameleon colors and a little hard to photograph:

• mini_bottle
    12 years ago

I have white cabinets, dark countertops (honed granite instead of soapstone) and reddish floors. Here's a picture. Paint color is Sherwin Williams Kilem Beige and the cabinets don't look like such a stark white in real life.

• judydel
    12 years ago

I have Ellen Kennon Gustavian Grey walls with Benjamin Moore Cloud White trim and cabinets.

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

I have white cabs, a custom color made to match Blue Bell Old Fashioned Vanilla Icecream, soapstone counters and heart pine floors. I used an Olympic color, Thyme, and had it made up in BM Matte. I love the rich green and after 6 yrs am still very happy with it.

{{gwi:612474}}

• grneyesct
    12 years ago

Hey there - We used Behr's Ryegrass, but I had the paint store match it in BM paint...

We loved it so much in our old kitchen, we used it again in the new one :)

~ D ~