Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allnewappliances

Farmhouse sink question

allnewappliances
13 years ago

Hi all - I am having a Rohl farmhouse sink installed this week. I have done some searches on GW and reviewed the pics on the finished kitchen blog site...but asking for anyone that has a farmhouse sink for more pictures.

If you are completely happy with how your sink installation came out with the cabinets and have up close pictures (of the sides of the sink and how much space there is between sink and cabinet side, the bottom of the sink, etc) please post them.

I looked at the pictures of diff searches and came up with some, but would LOVE to see more up close pictures if anyone doesn't mind.

Thanking you in advance :-)

Comments (8)

• semi
    13 years ago

I installed mine Monday. Just last weekend I was in your same frame of mind looking for installation pictures so I could decide just how much sink I wanted beyond my cabinets and how much negative or positive reveal I wanted on the side and back.

I ended up looking at all the pictures posted on this thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0617142330159.html

I then found the sink set up from the Rohl Shaw Sink brochure on line here:

http://www.crown-point.com/clhoty/kitchenshow.html

Then I sat with my carpenter and granite template fellow while the sink was scribed to the base cabinet just exactly how my eye thought most appealing.

I have discovered from looking at all those pictures that the sink placement really is very personal.

Search GW for Farmhouse Sink or Shaws sink and you will get so many good pictures that have been posted.

I will post what mine looks like when I am next in my house to take photos. The front sides are currently coated in blue painters tape to make sure no one moves the sink around while we wait for the granite install next week.

Good luck!

• jdechris
    13 years ago

Here is my Rohl. We've had for 2 years and I love it so far.

before countertops:

and after:

• allnewappliances
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to both of you. It's hard to see in some of the pics the sides of the sink next to the cabinet and exactly how much room is on each side.....I know my KD said that some molding? will be on the bottom, but not sure if there should be any additional molding or wood on the sides.....any input on this?

Thanks!

• semi
    13 years ago

My cabinet was created specifically for the Rohl sink, so I didn't need any trim or filler or molding.

Are you using frameless cabinets? Go pour though more GW Shaw Sink threads, I found more pictures here than anywhere else. I looked on Houzz, DIY, etc. and GW has more images than anywhere else.

When does your sink get installed? Will you need to cut out the space for your sink or fill in around it? Google, "installing shaws sink" and see what else you can pick up for pictures.

I apologize for not posting any today, I didn't get to my house.

• jdechris
    13 years ago

Here is a pic of my cabinet after we had the sink opening cut out but before installing. Easier to see how much room is on the sides.

• allnewappliances
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. The sink is in the cab now, but this week they will finish the molding on the bottom of the sink...but they said no molding on the sides...KD said this way, it looks like it was just dropped in and more natural looking for a farmers sink.

• brickmanhouse
    13 years ago

Well, there are two ways to do it, and we have both.

The first is to drop the sink on top of a drip rail on your base cabinet. Molding goes up the side of the sink, and, depending on how much angle there is to the sink edge, there can be a bit of a gap. We used columns, but our main sink is fairly straight on the sides, so there's hardly any gap at all:

From 2010-0818

The second way is to forego the drip rail and custom cut an apron or drawerfront around the sink. As long as your installer is good enough to make an accurate cut, there won't be any space at all between the cabinet front and sink:

From 2010-0818

Both work, and both look good-- it just depends on whether you want the drip rail or not.

• allnewappliances
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sending the pics! I think mine will be the 2nd way, along with some kind of molding where your drip wall is on the 1st pic....if that makes sense.