Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Where to put handles on Tall Pantry Cabinets?

cplover
12 years ago

For my decorative hardware, I chose knobs for uppers and handles for the drawers/lowers. For my tall pantry, each of the 4 cabinets is composed of two doors. One small upper and one larger upper. For the small upper I want to use knobs. But for the large door I am not sure where to place the handle. Any thoughts? Here is a photo, although not the best. TIA.

Comments (11)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

We placed the upper ones (above the fridge) in the lower corner like beekeeper's, but below that we had 2 doors and a pullout. We also thought about how we would naturally reach for them and this is what we came up with

Don't look too close, you'll see all the unfinished business. The last pictures I took were when we were trying to feel like we were more finished than we were.

• hab14
    12 years ago

My cabinet maker recommended that we put the door knob at the same height as regular indoor doors (36") as that is what would feel "natural". I'll admit it doesn't look as clean as beekeeperswive's gorgeous cabinets, but we do generally use the pulls to open the door.

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bee- Those are gorgeous. Just like everything else I have seen from you. If you lived close to me I would have to get a second job so that I could hire you! Unfortunately I already purchased pulls for the larger doors since DH thought knobs would be too small-- he thought wrong!:)

Lascatz- Yours look great too! We do not have a pull-out since our pantry is only 12" deep.

hab14- great idea!

• coco4444
    12 years ago

Here's mine. Actually didn't give it much thought... let the installer decide. Works okay for us, a little high for children.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Mine are like Co-Co's. Let the installer decide and they work really well. They are at about upper cabinet height.

OT- Lascatx - is your pantry navy blue, black, periwinkle - because the colour is gorgeous.

• editionk
    12 years ago

newbie -- Love your grey-green paint color. What color is it please?

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Editionk- Thanks. It is still growing on me. Glad you like it. It is BM Gray Wisp- some say it is similar to RH's silver sage. But since I have never seen RH's colors I could not tell you. In some light it is more green-gray and in others more blue-gray.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

bfenton, thanks. Those cabinets were a custom finish trying to match a color I had in mind. The color doesn't have a name, but I would describe it as a deep grey-blue with some red undertones. At the time we did them, one person said blueberry. I notice more of the red in a photo than your eye will see in person.

• editionk
    12 years ago

Thanks newbie! As luck would have it I actually have a 5x7 swatch of Gray Wisp on my wall right now (surrounded by 20+ other similar colors or course). Thanks again for the followup :)

• cmm6797
    12 years ago

We also put ours at 36" high, even though the knob doesn't line up with anything in particular on the door (they are a few inches higher than the paneling that intersects the middle of the pantry door).

At first I worried they would seem as if they were placed there at random, but then I read on this forum that if you follow a rule, let's say 36" high on all pantry doors, then it will look right. As long as there is a rule or pattern, even if you've made it up yourself. Does that make sense?

And actually I stressed over the placement, then had the contractor install the hardware when we were out of town. When we came back I didn't even notice that there was anything unusual about it. I agree that they should be where it's natural for you to reach.