Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

Induction Cookware

msl511
10 years ago

I thought I posted this yesterday, but I can't find it. I apologize if I'm repeating myself.

We're switching from gas to induction and I've checked and I'm going to need a whole bunch of new cookware. Experience and reading fora, magazines, etc have always taught me that things go better with high quality cookware (heats evenly, doesn't warp, etc) and that high quality cookware usually isn't cheap.I'll be giving up some Williams-Sonoma brand and Cuisinart brand pots and pans and some old anodized aluminum (no non-stick surface) Calphalon skillets (sob! I love those!).

I keep reading here that one can get excellent quality induction appropriate cookware at very reasonable prices at Ikea and WalMart and that I don't really have to shell out for All-Clad. (I've got one and it's very nice and I'm quite happy, but the same quality at a better price would be fantastic.)

So my question is: Really, truly? I can really, truly go to WalMart and come home with something every bit as good as All-Clad for a much better price? As my son used to say when he was small - for true?

Comments (50)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Amazon has the Cuisinart set for about $270. I purchased it and I'm very happy with t. I also bought a Scanpan (thanks A2) from Amazon because I needed a nonstick for my DH's grilled cheese sandwiches. I am going to purchase a few pieces of All Clad as the need arises but so far so good. I also got a great pop corn popper for the I.C. and love that also.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Has anyone tried these steel plates? It could be a good way to still be able to use some special or expensive pots. If I ever get to go induction, I hope they will have copper finish available.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 15:36

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Gorgeous Snookums. Who makes it?

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

I have a gas stove, but to get through my renovation, I got an induction hob. I looked for the famed Tramontina sets at all the local Walmarts, but couldn't find them. I think you can get them from the website, though. Don't know if they're the same quality as all-clad, but they certainly come highly recommended around these parts. (I just realized that this isn't a very useful reply, as I don't have first hand information about the quality, which is what you're asking about.) Good luck!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm wondering about the steel plate in order to use incompatible cookware on an induction.

That is a handsome pot! I love copper. Here is the manufacturer:

Here is a link that might be useful: Falk Cookware

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Thanks Snookums. I may just have to get one of the cast iron disks because I just have my heart set on a Simplex tea pot but to my knowledge they are not compatible with induction.

• barthelemy
    10 years ago

I have quite pricey Lagostina pans (no non-stick) and non-stick IKEA 365+ pans (this is IKEA's mid-range ... ).

I love both. The IKEA 365+ stuff really is great, feels heavy and does not warp. I first bought them for my second home but I bought another set cause I enjoyed them.

It is made in China though, whereas Lagostina is made in Italy ...

For pots I stick to Staub (cast iron, and pricey).

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I have a scanpan nonstick CTX (induction compatible) for eggs. Some Le Creuset for braising etc.

I have been very impressed with IKEA induction compatible pots. They work well. Even heating and a nice heft. I am a cookware junkie and will pay for higher quality. IKEA is really good in my book but so much cheaper. I also bought a couple of De Buyer carbon steel pans for use as a skillet etc. No experience with Tramotina.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

snookums - I haven't used the plates you posted, but I was reading up a good bit on them on a bunch of different sites - it seems that they do only a mediocre job (at best) for most people who have used them.

I'll be getting rid of some of my Caphalon, etc. when our induction goes in. Pains me...but I've managed to get a decent enough variety of most of the things I'll need to cover me. Although I'm still looking for an additional 2-quart saucepan and I need a 1-quart also.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    10 years ago

I understand Costco has their own brand of stainless cookware that is induction ready. I will be getting induction soon, and was planning on buying them. Anyone familiar with these?

• Kim
    10 years ago

Although I have not installed my induction cooktop yet I purchased a 12 piece Cuisinart set at Costco for 150, they had a rebate a few months ago but it is still there for 199. A few posters on this site had also purchased it and were using it and felt it was a great set for induction!

• corgimum
    10 years ago

I have the Tramontina from walmart.com. I have been very happy with them. They have several sets to choose from plus I bought some additional small pots. I also like non-stick pans so I went with the house brand from Sur La Table. They have been great too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sur La Table Tri-Ply Nonstick Skillets

• renov8r
    10 years ago

What do you do for stir frying? Are there woks that work? Some of my pans are from Williams/Sonoma and also Aubeq which I have loved over the years. I hope I am happy with the new one.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Don't lose sight of your details:

The Cuisinart cookware that's favorably compared to All-Clad in multiple reviews is the Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro. They make several other lines, and if you're not paying attention you could easily get the wrong thing. I personally think that one of their other lines is more attractive from a just-looking point of view, but only the Multi-Clad Pro includes several metals all the way up the inside of the pot. For a serious cook, that makes a difference.

• angela12345
    10 years ago

I was in Costco the other day and saw Tramontina there. First time I have ever seen them there. I didn't stop and check them out however.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Yes you have to make sure you get the Multi Clad Pro -N with the Cuisinart. That is the one that I purchased, It was the newest model and I really think it is a good set for the money. The only thing I don't like is the stainless lids. I would have rather had glass.

• msl511
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing is simple. I just got off the phone with Cuisinart because I wanted to understand the difference between the French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless and the Multi-Clad Pro. The CS person said that the Tri-Ply is the only line they make that's made in France. Everything else is made in China. She also said that the reason you can use metal utensils on the Tri-Ply, but not the MultiClad is that the aluminum in the Tri-Ply is better encased in stainless steel and with the Multi-Clad, it's possible to scratch through the stainless and expose the aluminum, which you really don't want near your food. She also said that in the French Classic, the aluminum core is in the whole pan, while in the Multiclad, it's only in the base.

Cuisinart's list prices for the French Classic are substantially higher than for the Multiclad.

Interestingly, the $200 Cuisinart set at Costco, on close inspection, is not the French Tri-Ply stainless I've been discussing here. It's just called Professional Tri-Ply Stainless, it has glass covers, not stainless ones. I assume it's not made in France. Since it's not a line listed on the Cuisinart site, I assume it's made specifically for Costco (and maybe other discount retailers).

I'm not saying it's junk or that any of us would be wasting our money buying it, just that you have to read really, really carefully to be sure about what you're getting at various stores.

Bed, Bath & Beyond carries the French Tri-Ply at Cusinart's list prices, but there are those lovely 20% coupons. Prices at Amazon seem to be about the same as actual list. What they show as list appears to be pure fiction.

Got that?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Yes you have to make sure you get the Multi Clad Pro -N with the Cuisinart. That is the one that I purchased, It was the newest model and I really think it is a good set for the money. The only thing I don't like is the stainless lids. I would have rather had glass.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Because of the recommendation from Cooks Illustrated (I think it was from 2009), I got the 10 piece Tramontina TriPly Clad set from Walmart.com. Free shipping, and it was under $200 at the time. I also ordered their 12" chef's skillet (straight sided) which is a piece I use a lot. Tuesday Morning has Tramontina TriPly pieces from time to time, but I needed all new pots so I got the set. This cookware is beautiful and very good, and I use every piece in the set, but it's heavy, like All Clad. I also bought other pans at Marshall's and TJMaxx, including Wolfgang Puck, Simply Calphalon, and Fissler, and I have Italian non-stick skillets called TVS and also one from Oneida Artisan. They all work great. You don't have to spend a lot. Some people say that some brands, like Demeyere, are less likely to buzz, but others who have Demeyere hear some buzzing.

The Tramontina has stainless lids, so I don't have to worry about breaking them. I find that the glass lids on some of the other pots fog up so I can't see very well anyway.

You already have a magnet in your purse, right?

Did you check the Cookware Forum on GW? There are a lot of threads on there.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Doesn't surprise me that the plates compromise cooking. Oh well. Maybe people will grow to love copper again and there will be some new finishes available in the future. Not that I want to replace my pots and pans! I waited a long time for these, lol.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Here you go . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper+induction

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have posted before - basically, if it is magnetic it works.
    I have an eclectic collection - one of most everything except that gorgeous Debeyer copper vessel.
    All Clad, Calphalon(yes they do make some induction), CIA, DeMeyere, Scan Pan(one of my 2 non-stick pans), Staub, and LeCreuset.
    I used to have a cheap tea kettle - it worked as well.

I think you will be happy with just about any of the vessels you are considering - or you can go my route - I kept picking up sample vessels to get you to try them. The only set I bought was the CIA - and it had just what I was missing plus the second non-stick skillet.

I find the less layers, the less noise but they all make some noise - more when they are cold. When the fan is running - I generally can't hear the noise.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

GF went with some other pots and she is unhappy with them as they are noisy...don't know what brand.

I went to Macy's on sale and got Emeril cookware and I'm very happy with it...the pots have glass lids so I can see when things are boiling (very important as induction heats so quickly, boiling over is a risk) and I love the strainer part of the lids and I love the pour spouts too. And they are very quiet on the induction.

I have the farberware millennium nonstick which is eh...starting to lose its finish after only 3 yrs.

I love my lodge enamel coated cast iron soup pot. And of course cast iron works just great...but be sure the bottom is really smooth with no burrs or it will scratch the cooktop.

• heideseekie
    10 years ago

Marcia, I've had tramontina cookware for 13 years and love it. I got it when I lived overseas and have never felt the need to replace it. I didn't know it was induction friendly, since I have gas, but it makes sense. It has a heavy steel base and cooks evenly, every time. Mine was made in Brazil.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"Here you go . . .
    Here is a link that might be useful: Copper+induction"

hahahaha, that is insane. That's why I don't want a new set. Mine was economical from Costco. Not much more than their smallest sauce pan. I don't know how they can sell that stuff.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I'm going to go out on limb here and guess that these are not best sellers, snookums2.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

I have a long thread on my cookware shopping experience over on the AF. Thread below. Long story short, excellent bargains and functionality with Anolon Copper, Denmark@BB&B and Cuisinart Green Gourmet Tri-Ply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookware on GW Appliance Forum

• fourfirstnames
    10 years ago

I purchased the cuisinart tri ply professional series to use on my new induction stove. The pots/pans are great but the glass lids get too hot to touch. I got mine at Costco and will return.

• fourfirstnames
    10 years ago

I purchased the cuisinart tri ply professional series to use on my new induction stove. The pots/pans are great but the glass lids get too hot to touch. I got mine at Costco and will return.

• lisapoi
    10 years ago

I bought the Ikea 365+ set and I liked them so much that I, too, went and bought a second set. Initially they did not seem as sturdy as the more expensive Lagostina (and other brand name pots), but you know, they are extremely sturdy despite their lack of weight. I like them better because they are lighter and I can lift them and scoop out the food with much greater ease, while holding the pot with one hand.
    The critical thing is that the bottoms of these pots stay flat, flat, flat. They also stack easily in the drawers. I really liked their non-stick frying pans (I have the large and medium sized ones). They are the best non-stick fry pans I have ever purchased.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Tramontina makes several kinds of cookware, not all of it is induction capable. Walmart.com USED to sell great all lad lookalike s, but stopped that line over a year ago. Still nice lines, but not the stuff that Cooks Illustrated loved.

Still, there are many quite nice lines but make sure the tags or mfr. description says it is induction capable.

I love my infinite circulon. Not just any circulon, but the Infinite Circulon
    Is my fave. Dishwasher, 500 degree oven, metal utensil, cooks great-
    That's what is important to me. But I do enjoy all my ind. cookware on my induction cooktop.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Tramontina makes several kinds of cookware, not all of it is induction capable. Walmart.com USED to sell great all lad lookalike s, but stopped that line over a year ago. Still nice lines, but not the stuff that Cooks Illustrated loved.

Still, there are many quite nice lines but make sure the tags or mfr. description says it is induction capable.

I love my infinite circulon. Not just any circulon, but the Infinite Circulon
    Is my fave. Dishwasher, 500 degree oven, metal utensil, cooks great-
    That's what is important to me. But I do enjoy all my ind. cookware on my induction cooktop.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Walmart still sells it, but for most of it you have to order the triply and have it sent to the store. Our local store still has the smaller stockpot and a few other individual pieces in stock.

I don't happen to need any new cookware--I made the mistake of buying professional quality stainless when I graduated from college about a thousand years ago and it will probably outlast me, so I never have an excuse to buy anything new--but I've seen the tramontina triply and that's what I'd get if I ever did need to replace what I've got.

• sprtphntc7a
    10 years ago

this maybe is a different point of view.....

i agree with the OP that you do get what u pay for..
    i have had my LeCrst and All-Clad for at least 7 years and they look brand new...no wobbly handles etc....
    yes,it is costly but i bought all my pieces at an outlet over several years knowing we were going induction down the road. new kitchen is 2 yrs old.....

my feeling is those brands work wonderful with induction..

i do have some Lodge and they work well also....

i am of the thought that you buy your cookware by pieces and not sets. look at your cookware now and see what you use often and just buy that piece in induction ready...

a site for AC that has 2 yearly sales, one in october, which offers an addiional 20% off is
    www.cookwareandmore.com. i bought all my AC thru them. i live close by so i picked each piece.

all my LC i bought at an outlet as well... both brands were considered "seconds" but the performance is NOT compromised. for me its a no-brainer, its saves alot of $$, you get each piece you really need/want and the cookware should out live you...(never replace) &
    you still get lifetime warranty.

AC is made in USA which is awesome and LC is made in France....to me that's so much better than "made in china"

good luck!!

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

"AC is made in USA."

Not all of it. Most lids, stockpots, certain saute pans, the ceramic liners on the double boilers, certain promotional pieces, and many utensils are made in China. You really have to ask and examine now to be sure of the U.S. manufacture.

• dan1888
    10 years ago

These deBuyer Carbonne Plus crepe pans make excellent fry pans at very reasonable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: deBuyer

• moebus
    10 years ago

Renov8tr
    There is a cast iron wok made by Bodum that I used on electric elements for a number of years with reasonable success. It has a flat bottom and conducts heat very well. The induction cooktop makes it sing like a real Chinese wok with extremely high temperatures. We have one in each of he 3 kitchens we use. One electric, one gas and the induction which works the best.

• moebus
    10 years ago

Renov8tr
    There is a cast iron wok made by Bodum that I used on electric elements for a number of years with reasonable success. It has a flat bottom and conducts heat very well. The induction cooktop makes it sing like a real Chinese wok with extremely high temperatures. We have one in each of he 3 kitchens we use. One electric, one gas and the induction which works the best.

• eam44
    10 years ago

The All-Clad is worth every penny. If you are currently short on pennies, consider buying a few irregulars to start with, available at a discount from online retailers (link below). The ones I cook with on induction are 15 years old and they look (and cook) brand new.

My next choice would be Calphalon (my starter set - I've never used their tri-ply on induction, but it is compatible). The man that broke my heart was reluctant to spend money on anything, and he went out and bought a set of Calphalon after cooking with mine. Yes, the stingiest man on the planet conceded that great cookware was worth buying. Of course, he would never have make the jump to All-Clad - our relationship was doomed. Live and learn...

The All-Clad are so good, that I would rather cook on a regular electric cooktop with this cookware, than on an induction cooktop with anything else. They are heavy though, so start lifting weights...

Here is a link that might be useful: Irregulars

• rantontoo
    10 years ago

I hope you enjoy your induction range as much as I do! I was so concerned about the noise complaints and buzzing that I actually bought a one hob counter unit to "test" induction cooking before I invested in a new stove. While my "test" drive convinced me to buy an induction range, it also made me NOT buy the Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel cookware even though I loved the handles. While there have been no offensive ticking or buzzing, the condition of the pan after the first use-boiling macaroni- convinced me that my new pans would be American or European made. The interiors of my 35 year old copper bottom stainless Regal-ware pans looked better than the pitted interior of the Cuisinart made in China pan after just one use.

After much, maybe too much, research, I purchased pieces of All Clad's D5 Cookware and love cooking with them. I have purchased pieces on sale and through an online outlet source (patience waiting for a sale price...even at an outlet) made my pieces more affordable. I chose the D5 instead of the regular All Clad Tri-ply because of the brushed finish and the more comfortable (at least to me) handle design.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

I got the Tramontina. Generally fine goods for what it cost. However, I would not buy it again, for the sole reason that the pots don't have a no-drip edge on them. If you are pouring something from a pan, it really wants to run down the outside.

I have the SurLaTable Demeyere Industry5 three qt saute pan/lid, which I really like a lot. It was on special, just that piece, for something like $79 if I recall correctly.

• msl511
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried a Tramontina sauce pan for the first time tonight. All I did was make pasta on a portable induction cooktop, so I didn't put it through its paces, but it seemed good except for the problem that attofarad described. When I went to pour out the water and the pasta, the water was definitely running down the side of the pan, which is not a problem I've ever had with other pans (All Clad, Williams-Sonoma and Cuisinart).

That's a deal breaker for me, so I will continue to look at other things.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I have used this saute pan with excellent results. DS2 has the Walmart Tramontina, but, for some reason, it came with this pan, which is part of a different Tramontina series. Normally, the disc bottom pans are problematic for me; a scorch ring forms inside the pan corresponding to where the disc meets the sides, but it doesn't do that with this pan. Anyway, this series may be something to consider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tramontina

• sparkier73
    10 years ago

I purchased the Tramontina from Walmart and was not happy with them at all. While they worked fine on the induction cooktop, the handles - even though they were silicone grip - got too hot to handle without a potholder. It was ridiculous that I couldn't even lift a lid off without hunting down something to protect my hand. They also were quite lightweight and seem cheaply made. Needless to say, I returned them, and picked up a wonderful set from Target - Kitchen essentials by Calphalon. The handles on these stay perfectly cool. They are solid, well made and quite a bit more substantial than the Tramontina. So glad I switched.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Wow, sparkier, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience! The lid handles on my Tramontina TriPly Clad do get hot, but only if they cook a long time. Does anyone know if All Clad lids stay cool? But you must have had a different Tramontina set from mine, because the heavy weight of mine is one of the drawbacks. They weigh a ton, like All Clad. Mine are from 2011. I do agree about the lack of pouring spouts sometimes being an inconvenience, as someone mentioned. I think one of the Emeril SS lines has pouring spouts.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

>even though they were silicone grip

The induction capable tramontina that I have seen just has plain handles, no silicon or anything, and as Ginny says, it's super heavy.

• sparkier73
    10 years ago

Perhaps they changed the line. It was definitely Tramontina, induction capable. I got 2 different 4 piece sets: a sauce pan with double boiler, steamer basket and lid; and a pasta pot with the strainer inset, steamer basket and lid. Stay away from both sets. I've no doubt there is a better Tramontina out there... I purchased mine based on recommendations from GW but I appear to have purchase an inferior model. No sweat... happy with my stainless Calphalon from Target. :-)

• sparkier73
    10 years ago

Perhaps they changed the line. It was definitely Tramontina, induction capable. I got 2 different 4 piece sets: a sauce pan with double boiler, steamer basket and lid; and a pasta pot with the strainer inset, steamer basket and lid. Stay away from both sets. I've no doubt there is a better Tramontina out there... I purchased mine based on recommendations from GW but I appear to have purchased an inferior model. No sweat... happy with my stainless Calphalon from Target. :-)

• sparkier73
    10 years ago

Perhaps they changed the line. It was definitely Tramontina, induction capable. I got 2 different 4 piece sets: a sauce pan with double boiler, steamer basket and lid; and a pasta pot with the strainer inset, steamer basket and lid. Stay away from both sets. I've no doubt there is a better Tramontina out there... I purchased mine based on recommendations from GW but I appear to have purchased an inferior model. No sweat... happy with my stainless Calphalon from Target. :-)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

No, that is definitely something quite different from what is usually recommended here. This is the stuff most of us are talking about (and I totally agree that it should have a lip).

Here is a link that might be useful: triply at walmart