Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfmomoxo

Do you have fabulous bar stools?

sfmomoxo
13 years ago

As we're finally in the home stretch, I'd love to get three bar stools for our new eating bar. The kitchen (and house!) is contemporary. Wenge cabinets, grey/white quartzite. I'd love something wonderful and unique, but not too ultra-modern.

Anyone have any great inspirations???

Comments (13)

• scoutcat
    13 years ago

I ordered my stools from Room and Board. They have a more contemporary selection. We got a leather stool with a low back. They're very comfortable and have clean lines.

• leela4
    13 years ago

We have also been looking at bar stools-I think it was cat_mom who had some fabulous ones that I loved. But after looking for ones locally, and trying them out (with DH), we're quite leery of buying them online without sitting on them. So how is everyone dealing with that?

• chinchette
    13 years ago

I just posted a picture of my kitchen on the thread Mahogany Cabinets. My barstools are in the photo. They are from Holland Barstools. Kompy has similar ones from Holland Barstools. Mine are swivel, but I would get them without the swivel to avoid dinging the granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with my barstools scroll down

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

These are probably not at all what you are looking for but scottielee has some of my all time favorite bar stools. Her kitchen is traditional but the stools aren't. They are from Emeco. Not cheap but they sure are beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: scottielee - Emeco bar stools

• sfmomoxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all. I love your suggestions. And I do agree that I really want to sit in them before I buy.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

sfmomoxo - I have been scanning for stools myself. I looked at the Emeco's in scottielee's post but they are over $1500, don't have a cushioned seat and I need 4.

The site referenced in scottielee's post has some interesting stools
    www.furnituredomain.com
    If you haven't look, try www.designwithinreach.com

Here are some of my favorites - today :)

The Cherner chair is a classic. I wanted to this for our last kitchen and cheaped out. They have a elegant armchair, regular height and this stool. It comes in different woods (see the photo on the site of the amazing striped one) & can even be upholstered. http://www.chernerchair.com/

The bertoia stool. I have seen this in a kitchen and it looks sweet and it does have a little cushion. I think it comes in different colors and finishes.

Nice and simple metal stool - I think this is at DWR

Saw this on a website called undertheroof - I searched on plywood stool.

A take on the Navy stool (they also have the classic one in an all metal stool at DWR)

Like in wood, still on the fence about the acrylic. I think it has nice proportions/shape. But it does come in clear, smoke (that could be nice) or green acrylic, or wood (walnut, cherry, maple, mahogany) or upholstered (or any combo) http://www.girari.com/g-bs.html

There is a ghost stool, but it doesn't have the great back of the chair.

I enjoy looking at chairs maybe more than tile :) Share what you have found.

• lisadlu
    13 years ago

Regarding the wire back Bertoia barstools has anyone seen something similiar to this but with a lower back, more like a lip. I saw them in a photo but can't find the photo or the stools. Also, if my stools will be at countertop height would I be looking for countertop height stools or bar height stools? I didn't realize there were different heights until I started my search for the wire stools. Thanks!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

leela4--thanks for the compliment! We bought ours seat unfelt! Actually, we got to try out the wooden version and figured if they were comfy enough in wood, they'd be even comfier in leather.

Ours are the Baba Leather counter stools (comes in a barstool height too). We ordered them from Design Centro Italia

Here is a link that might be useful: baba leather counter stools

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

decorpad.com has a section with Looks for Less. Below is a link. It's rather curious that Scottilee's kitchen is one that is shown.

But there are lots of other ideas too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look for Less from decorpad

• lala girl
    13 years ago

We went with the counter height Vapor stools from CB2 (we have white cabs and madre perola quartzite) - they are super easy to clean (i did not want any upholstery), very comfy, and seemingly float in the room giving my more traditional kitchen a little edge. I love them!

And the price is fabulous, which is awesome bc I needed 4 (my second runner up was the Antica leather stool from Design within Reach but could not justify $3K with little kids in the house) - plus now that I have the Vapor I think the Antica would have been a little heavy looking for my kitchen (although I am probably justifying my cheapness.. :-)

• sfmomoxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Once again, fabulous ideas. I think I just have to start searching and sitting. There's a Room & Board and DWR in the city (SF) that I'll check out. To make it even more of a challenge (lol), I have seen the most incredibly wonderful barstools. No idea where they're from. But I'd love to discover something along those lines...artistic and interesting.

• sfmomoxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Sayde, for the Stickley and Thomas Moser tips. I've checked out all the sites recommended and now have some fabulous options. Thanks all!