Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitri89

A belated thank you & Pics of our finished fitchen

mitri89
12 years ago

We've been in our home for over a year now, and I don't think I ever got around to posting finished pics of our kitchen here. I know I sure enjoyed and found it helpful to look at others' finished pics, so I want to share ours in case it could help someone else. I also wanted to say a big Thank You to all of you who helped with friendly advice and opinions. I have a warm spot in my heart for this forum and am so happy I found it in time while we were building.

We've been so pleased with how our house turned out, and I especially love the kitchen. It's the heart of our home, and it's not only beautiful and homey in my eyes but has also proven to be very practical and functional with our large family. I can't think of much I'd do differently, especially considering we did this well within our budget! Some of my favorite things about it are....

Creamy white lacquered cabinets(SW Dover White) - they're custom hard maple and are holding up beautifully. They're durable, and wiping them down is a breeze.

Silgranit sinks - Love having a big single and a 2nd sink in the island - both get used daily, and the silgranit cleans up so nice!

Stainless appliances - KA fridge and dw, Bosch ovens, and Dacor gas cooktop - All have been great and have NOT been hard to keep clean. I use a stainless cleaner on them that actually repels prints for several days in between cleaning.

Step in pantry - I love the cute door and love the storage inside.

Danze faucets & pot filler

The layout - I would've totally flubbed up had it not been for you all pointing out flaws with our initial plan. So, so glad you enlightened us, so we could improve with what we had to work with. It's a very functional layout even when several of us are in there cooking/cleaning at once. Thanksgiving was at our house last year, and it was awesome!

MW in the island - Great so the kids can make things for themselves, and nice for shortie(5'2") me so I don't have to reach high. Would totally do this again!

Lots of smooth gliding deep drawers - love having our plates, pots and pans, and baking goods(flour, sugar, etc) in deep drawers. It's so much easier than doors!

Love my little "baking center" between the fridge & ovens. At the advice on here we made the counter extra deep here which allowed the fridge to have a built in look for a budget price, and the extra deep counter is great when cutting cookies/rolling out dough.

The wood floors - They're 4" white oak planks. This might be my single favorite thing about our house. I was a little nervous about having wood in a kitchen, but it is the EASIEST thing to keep up with and feels nice underfoot. We bought a good cordless stick vac(Hoover Linx) to use after meals, and once a week or so we use Bona cleaner with a mop.

Lighting - love having lots of lights and all on dimmers

Hope I didn't bore anyone with my comments! Now onto the pictures...

Comments (38)

• mitri89
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oops! I just now read about posting pics of finished kitchens in the gallery. I hadn't been on here in a while, and I thought everyone posted them here. I'm sorry if these are in the wrong spot. I'll post them over there.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Congrats! What is the granite and the backsplash? They look great together.

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Ditto on the beautiful! Not just in your eyes, but in ours as well! :-) Btw, you are not in the wrong place to be posting your photos here. Although, posting them in the gallery as well is strongly recommended. And, your comments are not boring. No need to be so modest. Indeed, feel free to put a bit more swagger into your reveal. A strut of this kitchen is most deserved!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I like it when pics are posted here. Love the round prep sink, the beadboard behind your baking center, all the windows, the floor - ok the whole thing is a great picture and really does look functional. is your counter giallo ornamentale?

• mitri89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahh.. thank you all! I'm glad it's okay to post the pics here too.

The granite is indeed giallo ornamental, and the backsplash is tumbled marble.

• Angela
    12 years ago

It's beautiful! And I think it will be very helpful to people on here, thanks for posting!

• ecf1216
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen! It looks beautiful! I've picked the same pot filler, and it's fun to see it on your wall.

Can I ask where you got your pendant lights, and what they are called? I really like them, as well.

Thanks.

• gracesantacruz
    12 years ago

That looks like a Pottery Barn Benchright table with both leaves installed? We got one too - the rustic look goes great with kitchens like this.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

The first word that comes to mind is "pleasant". I can see many happy times both preparing meals and sharing them in your new kitchen. This reminds me of finding a magical pair of jeans that makes your butt look good and flattens your stomach. The perfect balance of comfortable and pretty.
    It will be enjoyed for decades :)

• kmmh
    12 years ago

It's lovely! So glad you are enjoying it!

• mitri89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the kind words. We do have good times in our new kitchen and Lord willing there will be many more to come! Now, if I could find that magical pair of jeans!:-)

The pendants and chandelier are Savoy House Oxford Collection. We bought most of our lights for the whole house from LightingDirect.com.

The table is the PB Benchwright. I love the way it looks in our space, and it's very durable.

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

beautiful... wonderful... I love it. (of course I do -- I see many of the things that I've placed in my wish list file for when the time comes!)

how wide is your island? your aisles? my kitchen is very similar (perhaps a few inches narrower) and I'm wondering what real life experience you may have to share....

thanks so much for sharing your kitchen with us :-)

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

Did the pretty corbels under your island overhang come from the cabinet company or did you get them somewhere else? Is that St. Cecilia granite? It looks great!

• mitri89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're very welcome and thanks for the kind words!

The island top measures 42" x 89". 10 1/2" of that length is overhang for the barstools which is plenty for us. The aisles are 46-48" and are wide enough that if someone is working at the counter in any given spot someone else can easily pass by, even when the dw or trash is pulled opened. It's common during meal prep for one person to be at the sink loading/unloading the dw, one to be at the cooktop, one or two by the mw/fridge/prep sink area, and usually a person or two sitting at the barstools. Hope that helps!

• mitri89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The granite is giallo ornamental, and the corbels came from the company that custom made our cabinets.:-)

• mrshanson1
    12 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful job. You must be so pleased. I love it!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

So nice!!! I really like it!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen! Especially love that whole refrigerator wall. You made it so interesting when it could have been very boring between the big fridge, big double ovens, the pantry. Instead, we notice the different heights and depths of the cabinets, the glass doors, that nice little niche counter that does so many things: Serves as landing spot for the ovens/fridge and a home for the toaster. You clearly put a lot of thought into your design.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I'll take the stool on the right please! I'm so glad you came back to share your warm, inviting kitchen. Enjoy all the wonderful family times there.

• frmrsdghtr
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen! Could you share your wall color? Thanks!

• ww340
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen. What a great job. It is very similar to mine which is still in progress.

I love your hardware. Do you mind sharing the name?

• boylanite2
    12 years ago

Very nice! So glad you shared on this forum and not just the FKB. I love to see pics as it helps to pick up pointers. Enjoy your lovely space!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing it here. I check this blog much more often than the FKB. Looks beautiful....ENJOY!

• mitri89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You all are so kind! Thanks!

The paint color is Tobacco Road from Sherwin Williams. You have to ask for it at the counter, as it's an old Duron formula and not in their fan deck. I learned about the color on the home decorating forum.:-) It's a lovely deep golden that seems to change in different lights sometimes almost looking tannish. The pictures don't do the color justice, esp not with my camera. We need to go shopping for a new one soon!

The hardware is Amerock French Country from Knobs4less. They were a lot cheaper than other places, and the quality seems fine.

Thanks again for the compliments!:-)

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

Beautiful job! Love the floors - they're gorgeous! Love the backsplash frame detailing at your baking center, too! Your dining table is fantastic! Was it custom?

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I'd wondered what happened to you!!

I'm so glad you're loving it. - As well you should, it turned out so great! I didn't remember that you having white cabs...Was that always the plan? Maybe it was my imagination that was off.

I love your table and chairs... They look similar to ours...Only more stylish and we don't need the high chair any more. :-(

The flooring is MAGNIFICENT.

• mitri89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rhome, how are you? I was hoping you'd pop in here.:-) What happened was that shortly after we moved in we learned we were expecting again and welcomed baby #9 last spring. I thought maybe we were finished with the highchair till grandbabies, but God had other plans!:-)

You remember correctly, we were back and forth with paint or stain up till the last minute. We like both types, and it was hard to decide! Making the decision to go with wood floors helped cinch it, as we love the contrast between creamy white cabs and wood floors. If we'd gone with tile floors we likely would've picked stained cabinets. Ahh, I'm so glad all those decisions are behind us!:-)

The table is the extended Benchwright from Pottery Barn - We looked and looked for a table that would comfortably seat 12-14 but didn't want to spend several thousand dollars to get one. We looked at all local places, online, and even having one custom built. Everything was either more than we wanted to spend or seemed cheap quality that might not hold up over the years. Then around Christmas we saw the Benchwright table in Pottery Barn and fell in love with it. We've been very pleased with it! We saved money by picking up some basic black chairs at a different store, and they are working out great.

Just for fun.. here's partly the reason why it took me so long to post finished pics...

• elba1
    12 years ago

Wow, it looks great (and the baby too :)) congrats to you!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oh, that is just BEAUTIFUL! And that is the cutest darned pantry--love it! Your kitchen looks so spacious and bright, and that table is perfect for a large family, but doesn't look like a behemoth. It's perfect.

But I confess, my favorite part of your remodel is your biggest blessing of all--your precious baby! Sooo adorable!

Congratulations in every way! :^)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

God's plans are always the best. That little guy is even better and more gorgeous than the kitchen...of course!

I thought the renderings were stained cabinets...PHew. Nice to know my memory still works! ;-)

We had 2 get married this summer, so maybe a grandbaby in the high chair is in our not too distant future. I'm pretty sure we're past the possibility of our own #9, so I'm just glad to have #10 and #11, by marriage!

God bless all of you in your new home for years and years to come.

• dmbnwb
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. Everything blends wonderfully. Love your back splash. You mentioned it was tumbled marble, what color and manufacturer? Thanks and enjoy your beautiful kitchen...

• dmbnwb
    12 years ago

Oops, forgot to ask about your sink faucet. Can you please share information about it! Thanks...

• onerae
    12 years ago

Wonderful job! I love your kitchen and the layout is very similar to what I am trying to work with. It really helps to see pictures. Thanks...

• mitri89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

buddy mo - I had to go look at the extra box of tiles to see what kind it was. Funny how quickly you forget some details once it's over. Anyway, the box says 3x6 Tumbled Marble Chiaro by PGM Products. I think we got those tiles at Lowe's. The sink faucets are Danze Opulence in stainless finish, and we bought those from FaucetDirect.com. I love the stainless finish, it's beautiful and stays clean looking, doesn't smudge or show prints.

Rhome - Congrats on the marriages! I have a feeling that's right around the corner for us too...

Thanks again everyone for the kind words! And, yes, the baby is the best gift of all.:-)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Sorry for continuing OT, but obviously, I can't count. Our new sons are #9 and #10! Anyway, if/when you have any questions about weddings... Just let me know. ;-)

• scootermom
    12 years ago

A wonderful kitchen! I love your table and chairs, and ADORE your floors. My 2 favorite things about your post are the peek inside your baking drawers (wow -- I want!) and your pic of #9.

• mitri89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Rhome, I'll keep that in mind. I'm just scratching my head wondering how this time got here so quickly!

Thanks Scootermom - I almost didn't post pics of the drawers or inside the pantry, because they weren't straightened or well stocked(it was right before shopping day). I need to snap another of them all organized, but first I need to organize.:-)

• beachlover4ever
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen! I am also using Chiaro backsplash. Do you have any idea what color grout you used?