Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Kitchen designer in Bay Area CA

Posted by yehyeh83 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 13:22

Hello, I am new to GW. DH and I finally got a house on contract after 2.5 years of bidding war. We are closing at the end of the month and we are going to renovate the kitchen entirely. The bay window has failed seal so we'll need to rip off the tile counter to replace the framing underneath, so we decided to do a complete kitchen makeover. I have been following GW since we have the house on contract (about 2.5 wks ago) and got a lot of great information from other members on the appliances. I think I got all my appliances picked. I have been searching for a good KD/contractor online and didn't come up with a good answer. Any recommendation on KD in the Bay Area in California? DH and I are very picky in terms of workmanship and especially this house will probably be our forever home, we will be extra picky. I also want my kitchen cabinet painted with BM paint, will this be a restriction on cabinet brands? We want good quality of cabinets that will last and strong enough to put my cast iron pots in deep drawers and handle everyday use. Thank you so much for everyone in advance!

This post was edited by yehyeh83 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 16:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Kitchen designer in Bay Area CA

If I lived in the bay area, I'd hire Kelly Morisseau at Main Street Kitchens in a heart beat. Full disclosure - she's a good friend. But she also really knows her stuff. She's an award w1nning designer, has written 2 books on kitchen design and blogs about it, too.

Good luck!

edited to remove the dreaded green underlined pop-ups. Detest those things!

Here is a link that might be useful: Main Street Kitchens Design Build

This post was edited by lisa_a on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 16:30

o

• Posted by ctycdm 10b/Sunset 24 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 16:28

Mark Becker in Oakland designs beautiful custom homes with fantastic kitchens.
I'm not sure if he does the kitchen design in house, or subs it out, but he may be a lead. Great guy!
lisa a's friend sounds good too!

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 19:26

o

• Posted by ctycdm 10b/Sunset 24 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 16:29

Duplicate post deleted

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 19:25

o

Bay area is a big place. Whereabouts are you?

Do you have a budget? There's a pretty large range in cab prices.

I've been talking to custom cab makers that I'm pretty interested in. That also means I'm using an outside designer who will do plans for the cab maker/city/GC.

o

lisa_a: Thanks! I checked out the website and it has some amazing reno pictures! I will check it out!

ctycdm: Based on Mark Becker's portfolio information, I think my job is too small for him. But thanks for the info!

aptos_ca: We are in the East Bay area close by SF. We have no idea how much kitchen cabinets are but we want to keep cost less than $30k. Is this a reasonable budget? Thanks!

o

The kitchen is about 14' x 10'.

o

Budgeting 30k for cabinets could work, budgeting 30k for an entire renovation isn't at all reasonable unless you are mostly DIY. Here is one older but interesting thread on budgets, there are others. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0815123731212.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Evolution of a kitchen budget

o

also check out Jute, I hear they are great.

o

Don't want to hijack the thread, but if people happen to have recommendations for the south bay, it would be awesome to get some recommendations there too! (or PM me)

o

If you aren't already tapped into it, Berkeley Parents Network can be a useful resource for such things. BPN is a list-serve that sends out a few weekly emails--advice, recommendations, childcare, etc. People post questions and give responses. They archive the recommendations, and I've linked below to the kitchen designer page (you can find other service providers as well). I suspect that some of the recommendations are not real, as in the service provider or their friends and family are pumping them up, but mostly it really is people posting their experiences.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berkeley Parents Network

o

Thanks all for the reply!

Kksmama: My 30k budget is only for cabinets. I will also check out the thread you provided too. Thanks!

Beekeeperswife: thanks! I will check them out!

Cawaps: thanks for the info! I will check out the forum as well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here