Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
home4all6

hardware decision--opinions wanted!

home4all6
10 years ago

Hello Gw friends!
We are reaching the finish line of our kitchen reno, and I have reached a decision-making WALL. I need to choose hardware, and I am stuck. I feel like I don't really like anything...and I don't want to break the bank at this point, so I'm trying to stay under $10/piece.
Kitchen is traditional, white shaker inset cabinets, island is espresso stained, with full overlay cabs. Old house. Chrome. Simple lines.
I feel like these kitchens often have cup pulls, and I love the way they look, but I just don't like the way they feel--had them in my old kitchen and swore never again.
I like pulls more than knobs, but I don't want to go modern with the straight bar pulls I see in many kitchens.
I like glass knobs, so I'm thinking of those for my uppers, but I only have a few uppers. Everywhere else is mostly drawers.

Except for my pantries. I have no idea what to do with the pantries. Large pulls on the big bottom drawers and knobs on the top, to match my other few uppers? Or another pull to coordinate with the lower pantry doors?

And then there's my little butler pantry.

I also love the latches from rejuvination, so maybe a few of those, like on the butler pantry and below the 36" apron front sink?

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!!

Comments (10)

• aokat15
    10 years ago

Hi home4all6!!! So exciting to see your space and to see it close to being done!! It's looking awesome!! Have you thought about pulls like kateskouros:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0117553626974.html

or like a Restoration Hardware Aubrey pull?

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1283069&categoryId=cat1512023

I have mostly cup pulls (RH gilmore) but a few Aubrey and love them. Good luck! Hope the finish goes smoothly for you!

• home4all6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, aokat15! Oh, how I love kateskouros kitchen! so yummy! I like the aubrey pulls, but I feel like the screw details make them a bit industrial. And I love the gilmore bin pulls, but I just don't want them this time around.
    I like the Ephram pulls from RH, and the Bistro pulls. I also like the Grafton, but wonder if it's more bathroom-y than kitchen-y?

But then I feel like, if I don't love them, I may as well get something considerably less expensive from a big box store, right?

But I do love the clear glass knobs from RH, so I think I'll get those for my uppers, if not more? Maybe the tops of the pantries could be glass knobs, too?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

home4all6, love how your kitchen is shaping up. I like a mix of pulls and knobs, and also love crystal knobs. Have you taken a look at Top Knobs? I got my pulls and knobs there and they averaged about $7 each. I don't know where you live, but if you can find a kitchen design shop they will often have a large display of hardware you can see and then order yourself online.

I had a hard time deciding on mine until I passed a cabinet display and saw mine. I knew instantly it was what I wanted. It's the only thing in my kitchen I haven't second guessed.

• home4all6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, linelle! I like a mix, too! I will definitely take a look at Top Knobs to see what I can see!
    And I completely understand about second guessing EVERYTHING! It's enough to make ya cra-zy!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'll have white shaker cabs, and espresso island, but am looking for a more transitional look. I ordered samples of Amerock Candler pulls and Abernathy knobs. Peke recommended woodworkershdwe.net and they do seem to have the best prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: candler pulls

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

About 20 years ago my MIL did white cabs in her country (really, really tiny) kitchen and used all glass knobs. It's still a great look. You could do glass pulls like this to complement glass knobs:

Have you considered classic, simple pulls? These are Amerock pulls that we paid $2.98 each for a couple of years ago. We didn't choose by the price, which isn't posted with the sample hardware, but because we liked them best of the thousands we were looking at.

Here is a link that might be useful: House of Antique Hardware

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

My kitchen is very similar to yours with white inset shaker perimeter cabinets and a dark island with overlay doors.

I used these pulls and knobs on the perimeter cabinets, except for the glass doors:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I used these pulls on most of the island:

{{!gwi}}

Then for fun I sprinkled in a few of these on upper drawers and doors (pullouts) of the island and the upper glass doors of the perimeter:

What counter are you putting on the island? I currently have soapstone (like the perimeter), but they measured it wrong and it needs to be replaced (it's actually smaller than the island cabinetry). So, I'm thinking of taking this opportunity to change it to something different, but can't find anything that I like to go with the existing soapstone.

• home4all6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love many of these suggestions! I really like all the square-ish ones, but was worried they suggested more mission style. I also worry that I will bang into them and it'll hurt. Probably a needless worry...
    I also really like those candler pulls--they caught my eye when I was looking through Lowes or something like that. I didn't see them in a polished or chrome-y finish, but I will keep looking.
    And I love the glass pulls, but my DH doesn't like them much, so I haven't really focused on them again. I think I will give them a second look.
    Thanks for ideas--amd keep 'em coming!!

• home4all6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

catbuilder, our island will have leathered statuarrio marble on it. I know marble is not for everyone, but I loved it when I saw it, and felt it!
    {{!gwi}}

And here's my soapstone:
    {{!gwi}}

• karlsmom
    10 years ago

Suzannes1, what Amerock pulls did you use? I really like them! Thanks also for posting a link to the Antique glass knobs.