Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Cabinets being installed and I'm away - Grrrrrrr

judydel
14 years ago

I'm hardly ever away from home. But this week I ended up having to be in NYC with my daughter . . . the week of the install !! My son keeps sending me photos and they seem to be getting it done fine. I'm only a cell phone away. But gosh darn . . . I WANT to be there. I can't fondle photos. This is just too cruel.

Comments (21)

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Awww, sorry to hear that. but, pics? you have pics and you are not sharing? Cruel indeed.

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you guys really want to see pics before it is complete? If I post pics now I stand the chance of you being sick of my kitchen before it is even completed.
    I'll post them, no problem there . . . ya sure?

The Teixeira Soapstone guys just did the template. They told me when I go to pick out the slab of Julia tomorrow that they will lay my template on the slabs so I can tell them how I want it laid out! Where I'm staying in NYC is only a half hour ride to Teixeira, so in that respect my being away from home is working out. But I"D RATHER BE HOME : (

On the up side, my daughter is participating in an incredible ballet intensive with one of the best schools in the US. What we do for our kids!

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Oh no Judy I promise I won't be sick of your kitchen! I love seeing the "in progress" pics.
    Congrats with your daughter! What a treat to get to attend a prestigious ballet school. It'll pay off!

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

make sure there is someone there to supervise and point out any mistakes.

• weissman
    14 years ago

You're obviously not TKO enough or your kitchen would have clearly gotten priority over you daughter :-)

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Oh, I don't think I could possibly get sick of looking at your kitchen; the details are all so lovely.

Congrats to your daughter!

• crzyktchnlady
    14 years ago

I'm sorry everyone. This is so OT but I can't help myself. As an ex ballet dancer I have to ask judydel - which of the wonderful ballet schools in NYC is she attending? What a great opportunity for her. I hope she is having a blast!

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CrzyKtchnLady she's dancing with Ellison Ballet. He's fairly new on the radar. But he has a big name for himself. Last year one of his dancer's won the bronze at the NYC Youth America Grand Prix finals. And he won the "Best School" award at the NYC finals. His dancers also won other lesser awards. This spring one of his dancers won a medal in Korea and Russia. Aside from all that, he is really kind, explains everything, and is very purposeful in his training. He expects a lot from his dancers and is very, very selective. So far, every dancer that he has graduated (except for maybe 1) has made it into a company. My daughter has been invited to train with him in the fall. Our dilemma is that it is a 2-3 hour commute from where we (and my new kitchen) live. But she'll probably go to him in the fall and we'll have to just deal with it. She's 14 and has been dancing since she was 3. Fortunately for her, she grew into a perfect ballet body. Long, lean, long legs, pretty hands & face, good feet, etc. She is very blessed.

Did you dance professionally??

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

OMG, that looks amazing!

• remodelqueen
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Can't wait to see finished pics.... especially with ss!! I couldn't imagine not being here for install, but if I had to miss it for my kids..... I would in a heartbeat. Good luck to your daughter!

• crzyktchnlady
    14 years ago

Judy - That is so wonderful. Mr. Ellison is a renowned teacher and former dancer. He has taught at many of the top schools and companies. I am tingling with excitement for your lovely daughter. I danced professionally in California many many years ago. It is not an easy life, but if it is her dream, it will bring her great joy. I am so glad you are so supportive of her; she is indeed blessed.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Good Luck to your daughter and congratulations to her that she's there! Congratulations to you on your cabinets! Looks great!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Judy, the Kohler sink and cabinet look like they have always been there, even if your not, lol. Sorry you had to choose cabinets or daughter. It was no contest, I'm sure.

Your daughter is so fortunate to study with someone well-respected, knowledgeable and connected. She must be very talented and focused on her ultimate dream. She is lucky to have supportive parents. You won't regret all you have done and every sacrifice you made. My son is doing the same thing (music).

Judy

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

The kitchen is shaping up beautifully... but HOW EXCITING for your daughter. You'll make all the sacrifices necessary to ensure she'll flourish under this opportunity. And whatever kinds of successes follow her will become your greatest source of joy. Congratulations and sit back and enjoy the ride!

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Oh what lovely cabinets! Great pictures, so you should rest at ease, it looks great. But, I know if it were me I'd be the same way. I'm on pins and needles now trying to get to the granite yard myself to inspect the one slab left of my granite! My own DD loved dancing from 3 too, but she never developed that dancer's body! And due to grades I had to make her quit and concentrate on academics.

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words not only regarding the remodel, but also my daughter. Sometimes I feel like I'm crazy spending the time and money on her training (come to think of it sometimes I feel like I'm crazy spending the time and money on this remodel : ) It's encouraging to see so many of you understand and would do the same. I'm fortunate to have my own business so I am able to work my schedule around her schedule when necessary.

CrzyKtchnLady: "tingling with excitement". I like that! That explains how I feel right now too : ) After class today Mr. Ellison asked to talk to my daughter. He told her that he isn't sure yet if he'll be offering an intermediate level in the fall (which is where my daughter fits). But he said even if he doesn't have intermediate he would make an exception and would still like her to train with him. He'd put her in the advanced level and adjust to having her in the class. Wow. How can we refuse? Grrrrr wish he was in CT

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my! My son finally sent me more photos of the install they did yesterday.
    I can't wait to see it when they put the open shelves above the sink and valence, which you can see leaning against the wall. Hummm wish my son had cleaned up the area before taking the photos. But this is the sink for clean up until the main kitchen sink and DW get installed, so I'm sure it's working overtime. Notice the egg carton . . . it's filled with eggs from our hens!

I picked out 3 beautiful slabs of Julia today at Teixeira! So far I'm having a wonderful experience with Teixeira. I met Roger today, great guy. Everyone I've dealt with so far . . . Maria, Michelle, Roger, Juan . . . all make me, as the customer, feel special. They've really bent over backwards to help me each time I've been to the showroom. I know that's how it should be, but unfortunately it isn't always the case these day.

Things are finally happening. It is so cool to watch your dreams come to fruition.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Oh Judy, that looks amazing! I am so excited for you (and your daughter too!)

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Judy it looks wonderful! Congrats on all of the great progress! I still covet that sink! ;-)

Kat :)

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is looking great!

We ordered our soapstone from M. Teixeira and had it shipped to us (we installed it). They were so easy to work with! My dh was able to stop in at their showroom since he was in NJ for business, but otherwise we did the rest through email. Could not have been easier!

I just love that sink! What a neat accent for your kitchen!