Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myboys1gw

Backsplash help - contemporary style

myboys1
10 years ago

I am finally to the backsplash in my kitchen remodel. My kitchen and style is fairly contemporary. Cabinets are wood shaker style doors with stainless steel handles in a medium brown (ikea adel medium brown), Stainless steel appliances, and a quartz countertop in a light grey (caesarstone pebble). The look is clean lines and contemporary. There is a wall of windows on one side of the kitchen and it is open to the family room so it is well lighted. There is almost no "movement" in the countertop -no veins or swirls lie granite. Just some specks here and there but basically solid light grey. My house is a 1960s California ranch.

I want this kitchen style and look to last a long time and not look outdated in 5-10 years. I wanted it to look current and modern, but not trendy. But also something "timeless" if thats possible. I need help with backsplash material. The backsplash is a small area - less than 6 feet across just above the cooktop and below the only upper cabinets

I like the look of glass tiles, but concerned they are trendy and will look outdated in a short time. I do not like a busy look but I do want to add some "sparkle or jewelry" to the kitchen. I don't know if I should go with small tiles, mosaics, Subway tiles, natural stone, etc. Also, should the backsplash match more of the counter or the cabinets (since they contrast each other)?

Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated. If it will help I can post a picture of my kitchen. Thank you