Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alkazoo

Subway tile install ?'s

alkazoo
12 years ago

Hi forum, new poster, longtime lurker!!

Im about to attempt a basic subway tile backsplash in our kitchen to compliment our new granite countertops. The counter tops had a 4 inch backsplash of granite installed at that same time. I want to tile from that point upwards.

Ive read numerous posts and watched you tube how to videos but havent really seen two issues addressed. There in lies my 2 questions.lol

1: The bottom row of tiles(assuming the granite is level) should they sit directly on top of the granite backsplash and a small bead of clear silicone used to seal between the two? or should i also have a 1/16th inch grout line between the tile/granite?

2: Whats the best looking way to end the tile on a wall? Ive seen the bullnose rounded tiles on the long edge of 3x6 subways, but havent seen bullnose ends on the 3 inch side? Assuming i have a nice evenly cut end, should i just run a caulk or grout line down the side to give it that nice finished look?

any advice appreciated!!

Comments (5)

• Fori
    12 years ago

1. The bottom row should have a gap between them and the granite (a strip of cardboard or wood the right height can help keep it nice and level), and I guess you'd grout it instead of caulk but check with the pros on that. It SHOULDn't be shifting since it's all hard stuff in the same plane, but matching caulk would be safer.

2. When I did this, I cut the bullnosed 3x6 in half and used that. I also had to cut down a 6x6 tile with 2 bullnosed edges to become a corner subway that was edged on two sides. Limited tile selection I guess! But my tile was a handmade sort of irregular stuff and I was able to get away with it.

Another way to end the tile is to do an edge with skinny trim pieces. That looks very nice.

• xand83
    12 years ago

The cardboard idea is a good one. I just rested the bottom tile on two spacers to get an even gap along the tile. There should be a slight gap that gets filled with caulk, not grout. As I understand, grout shouldn't be used between the tiled plane and another surface. A flexible caulk won't crack if the cabinets or floors shift.

As for ending the tile, I used the bargain bin white subway tile from Home Depot, but didn't think to purchase any bullnose pieces. I just ended them in a straight line, just past the tip of the counter, with the finished edge out. The cut edge (on every other tile) I turned in. I was very careful and make everything look pretty clean.I then used a small line of caulk on the outside joint.

• alkazoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thankyou folks....just the tips i needed. appreciate it!!

• ShellyFL
    12 years ago

We did the lowes subway and also had a 4" corian backsplash. We used 1/8" spacers between the bottom of the tile and the top of the backsplash to ensure a consistent line. We also definitely caulked instead of grout because you never now if there's any flex between the counter and the wall. Essentially, if there was a surface where tile touched something OTHER than tile we caulked it with matching caulk.

We used the 2x6" bullnose pieces on ours plus a couple of creative corner cuts on the 6x6 and 2x2 corners. Below are the pics. It wasn't exactly what I wanted (which was to just end on a bullnose that was 3x6) but those aren't available in regular on the shelf stuff.

Here's how we did it

From Kitchen
    From Kitchen

• willtv
    12 years ago

If you choose the right tile manufacturer, bullnose edging will be available on any side(s) you might need.
    It's hard to see in these pictures but, the tiles along the top row are bullnosed along the 6" edge and the ones on the righthand end are bullnosed on the 3"side.
    There are also corner bullnose pieces available

The tiles are Daltile Rittenhouse square.