Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyocean

Question about granite install

nancyocean
9 years ago

Hi everyone, first I want to say, I really have enjoyed viewing your kitchens and getting lots of ideas and tips from you all. This forum has made the remodeling process so much easier.

Things were going pretty good until the granite install. IâÂÂm not sure what I should accept. First picture is where granite meets wall, and itâÂÂs about ü of an inch of a gap Second picture is the left side that too is ü of an inch, but a backsplash is going on that side along with tile trim, so IâÂÂm assuming the ü of an inch wonâÂÂt matter as much on that side. IâÂÂm not sure if this is correct.

Next picture is where granite meets built in refrigerator wall, IâÂÂve been told granite is off because my walls arenâÂÂt level, but this wall should be level. ItâÂÂs not as big a gap 3/16, but I still think it looks sloppy. The lady managing the job, said that she had a restoration man that can fill in the gaps with an epoxy and it will look really good. She said he does a lot of restoration work and he does really good color matching. She said only way to completely fix it would be to replace it, but then there might be other problems, and damage done to floors etc. This does concern me, because IâÂÂm pretty sure granite people put a ding in brand new refrigerator, but I canâÂÂt prove it. I really donâÂÂt know what to do, some people who see it, donâÂÂt think itâÂÂs that big of deal. IâÂÂm not even sure that the contractor will replace the granite, but I donâÂÂt know what I should expect? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Comments (16)

• nancyocean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I don't know how to post more than one picture at a time. This is the left wall

• nancyocean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Refrigerator wall

• nancyocean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Basically, would you insist on new granite, or would you allow them to try and fill in the gaps.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

If the backsplash covers parts of the gap, I would not be so concerned about that, but I would put caulk in the gaps before installing the backsplash. The other areas are, as you say, sloppy, and that bead of while silicone doesn't help. I can't tell from your picture ... is there a piece of trim on the face of your fridge cabinet? It looks like the caulk goes up against the back of that trim ... ? The edge of the granite where it meets the drywalled wall does not look finished.

My granite contract said that damages to surrounding surfaces (such as nicks and dings) were "incidental" and they were not responsible for them. I made sure all my surfaces (cabinet faces, etc.) were well-protected before they arrived for the install. I would not be happy with a ding in my new fridge caused by a careless installer.

• KarMar00
    9 years ago

I'm not an expert by any means but here's my two cents. Those gaps are a lot bigger than how my installers did mine. And my walls and floor are definitely unlevel. Did your installer do the white silicone? I agree that's not helping. Overall though, I wouldn't tear it out. I'm not sure if I would go the color matched epoxy just bc you would still lose the granite movement. Maybe the "restoration" guy could give you a better idea what that would look like. Or if I would just do clear silicone as nice and smooth as possible.

• nancyocean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jellytoast, no it's not a piece of trim, the picture does look that way though. They said the white silicone could not be painted, it was the type of silicone that "pulled color from the granite and cabinet". Sounded good at the time. I will definitely put caulk in before backsplash, thanks for the reminder.

Here's a picture from the dining room.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

With a backsplash, the gaps will be fine. Part of the issue is the cabinet design/install and is on the kitchen designer. The tall cabinet should have been specified with a flush side instead of leaving the frame reveal. Or, a skin should have been ordered to flush the side. If that had happened, the gap would have been acceptable. If they had used a better color of caulk. That should be a clear caulk. The overall install though is sloppy, though borderline acceptable, and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't level and square because the cabinets weren't level and square. Granite doesn't bend, and any decent install depends on a good cabinet install below it. Which is questionable given the pics.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

So the installer should have assessed the job and declined until the cabs were fixed. He was too sloppy to care or do that for you. I have always heard the cabs must be level or the stone can break. Talk to the KD/GC. They can work responsibilities out between themselves. That's not your concern unless they try to dump it on you.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

In the 1st and 5th picture the granite should return past the wall, then when the splash covered the gap nothing could be seen. It may not be too late to add a piece to do that since they didn't even profile the return edge.

In the 4th picture, I'd measure the amount the granite overhangs the top in two different places. If it's off, you may be able to reset the top parallel with the panel and with a clear or better color matched silicone. This may knock the top out further at the back wall, but if it's covered by splash, who cares?

I can tell from the pictures these aren't the best granite installers, they've missed the fundamentals.

• nancyocean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"With a backsplash, the gaps will be fine. Part of the issue is the cabinet design/install and is on the kitchen designer. The tall cabinet should have been specified with a flush side instead of leaving the frame reveal." The picture is deceiving the tall cabinet does have a flush side. I'm not sure why so many of you think the cabinets are not level. The cabinets look great in my opinion. Doors all perfectly match, I'm not sure what some of you are seeing.

Trebruchet, yes, I was wondering if they could add a piece to that. Would it be better to have a granite piece added or a faux piece made by the restoration guy? Thanks for the suggestion about overhang, I'll suggest that to them also.

I had such a bad feeling about this when the guy came out to measure. He talked throughout the whole process.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Would it be better to have a granite piece added or a faux piece made by the restoration guy?"

kitchenlover1:

I would hot melt a block on the bottom to hold a repair piece in place until the epoxy set up. I can't tell from the picture, but the end may have to be recut if the corner is too rounded. No way is the restoration guy putting a fake corner on that going to be acceptable.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 10:12

• nancyocean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

• nancyocean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to give you an update, many thanks to you all and especially, you, Trebruchet, At first granite guy didnâÂÂt have much to say about how they could fix it and said because large piece was in between two walls and he didnâÂÂt want a seam in it, there was going to be some gaps etc. I told granite guy what Trebruchet said, and he said he agreed. They came back this morning and the granite by refrigerator was lifted and shaved a little, hereâÂÂs the picture:

• nancyocean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This next picture is wall from dining room, he just made a little piece that would fit and wrapped it slightly around the wall. IâÂÂm very pleased with this look and IâÂÂm so glad we didnâÂÂt choose the faux finish for gap. Again, thanks to all, I guess it does take a village to do a kitchen remodel!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

So much better! That's great that you were able to get it fixed to your satisfaction.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Very nice. I doubt those would look much differently had I done them myself. Notice the consistency of the gloss across the edge of the added return.