Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

Mixing Granite...would it look odd?

ccoombs1
15 years ago

I am using Delicatus granite in the kitchen. There are two runs of counter, one with a 45° turn in it. I also want to do a bar in the arched opening. There are two problems with this. One, I am getting a huge discount because there are two slabs that have been on the yard for a few years. There isn't enough to do both counter tops AND the bar/overhang thingy. Also, Delicatus is a very fragile granite and probably would be unsuitable for the overhang anyway. So I have two options. Either buy an oak butcherblock and make the bar out of oak, or get the bar made out of a solid color granite that will go with the delicatus. Maybe a solid black or brown. Which would look better? The oak or the granite? I am SO undecided about this!! Thanks....

Here's my kitchen and also one of my slabs....

Comments (22)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Very pretty granite! I like the idea of a very dark granite that picks up the dark flecks in the delicatus.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks blueobsessed. You know what I'd really LOVE to see on that bar? Black Fossil Marble. My granite place has one slab on their yard that is broken. It's a small slab...not enough to do even a small kitchen, but all I need is a piece that is 70 7/8 x 20". And wouldn't that be VERY cool and unique? I probably can't afford it though. I have no clue how much it costs, but it's what I'd really love to see there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black fossil marble

• susan4664
    15 years ago

I vote for the wood. There is no solid color granite (except for black). They all have some kind of movement or flecks with color variation. I'll bet a completely different natural material, such as wood, would be a beautiful complement to your granite!

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

I vote for wood, also. But I'm biased because I mixed granite with wood myself! I like the contrast in colors and the contrast of warm and cold.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I like the idea of wood and granite combo, but you have a lot of warmth to your kitchen, and even warm colors in the granite. I think if you could get that black fossil marble you love, it could be cool.

• User
    15 years ago

I like the first suggestion of mixing a black granite with the beautiful granite color you've found. It will look amazing!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Ccoombs, where are you? My upscale granite yard in Van Nuys, CA has both shell-fossil and cherry-fossil black granite. I didn't think it was terribly expensive, by their standards, fwiw.

You could also look at marinace granite in either black or green, which looks like fossilized hard boiled eggs. I think igloochic went with it for her DS' bath. Or, if you're trying to get away from the same pattern as your delicatus, some of the wispy-cloud-veined patterns. I'm not a big fan of the blingy black granite with glittery flecks, but it might work for you. Or soapstone. Or, if you have nothing better to do with a LOT of cash, onyx....

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I would absolutely NOT do wood because you have too much wood there. I'd consider zinc (gorgeous and a great match to your granite also wonderful for a wet surface like a bar) or copper, but you know...I have to agree with you...black fossil marble :) I LOVE THAT STUFF!! It's less than onyx and more than many granites. Get a price on it at least. It would really be stunning with your other granite and it's a fun fun fun marble. It does come in brown as well by the way, but that's harder to find.

If your cabs on the bar were white or painted in any color I'd vote for the wood, but wood on wood gets heavy very quickly.

• karencon
    15 years ago

Not a great picture but I mixed AB with Shivakashi. The black picks op the other accents in the room and the black of the Silgranit sink. See the AB on the island half wall and the desk? I also used the AB on the window sill across, to spread it around the room
    {{!gwi}}

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great input. I do agree....if I did this bar in wood, it may be too much of the same tones. I'd love to try copper, but the wall where the arch is now painted a beautiful warm red and the copper will clash. Fossil marble will look fantastic though. So the plan is...I'll get the fossil marble if I can afford it. If not, I'll get a plain black. Either will look wonderful, but my DH really wants the fossil and I'd love to let him have his way on this. He didn't get the granite he wanted....it was just too dark to look good with the cabinets so letting him have the fossil he loves so much would be a nice compromise.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Was surfing on something else and I found this for you! Enjoy!
    Do make sure that it'll work for a kitchen; generally limestone = bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moroccan fossil

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am pretty sure that's the same stuff I am looking at. Probably not the best material for a kitchen, but since this is a bar and not a food prep area, it should be OK. It will have to be treated like a good wood surface...cleaning up spills and making people use coasters, etc. Isn't it cool looking??? I love it!! VERY unique and interesting!

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Zinc, gray limestone, all gray or all white marble, all black granite, stainless steel, or pale maple. Also be careful where you put each so the transition makes sense. I think the fossils and the Delicatus will compete with one another.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kitchen detective, I tend to agree with you about them competing with each other. Personally as much as I love the fossils, I do think solid color would look better. But poor DH has been over-ruled every step of the way with this house (he really really wanted a dark swirly exotic we saw but it was too dark) so if we can get the fossils, I have to let him win this one. There is still a very real chance we can't afford it anyway and will have to settle for something solid, which will be OK with me.

Maple is not one I would have though of....that would look very nice too!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I wouldn't go with wood. Too much wood.

I would stick with black. I think the fossil one would be neat! Where is the bar in relation to the kitchen? Would it be next to the granite? If so, then I might go for the solid black. If it is across the room. Go for the fossil if you can swing it.

• sayde
    15 years ago

Wood might be nice if you do something that would contrast with the wood on your cabinets. I could see a walnut edge grain butcher block. Would prefer to see something other than granite.

• kevin_ii
    15 years ago

Look at Cambrian Black if you want a durable natural stone.

It has enough underlying fleck that it won't show dust and fingerprints like a solid black. It is also so dense that you will not need to seal it and it is maintenace free.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mustbnuts, the bar is right at the kitchen, through the pass-through arch. It may be a bit busy with the two patterned granites, but DH has his heart set on it.

I do still like the idea of wood, but as others have said it has to be a contrasting wood like maple or walnut. I like the idea of maple since I hope to be getting a great tiger maple table.

Kevin, I looked up Cambrian Black and like it! If the fossil doesn't work out, I'll see if they have a partial slab of Cambrian Black. I'd sure hate to buy a whole slab for a little project like this...it's only about 12 sq ft at the most. Hopefully they will have a 20" wide strip of a slab laying around they can use.

• zoenipp
    15 years ago

Ccoombs,

I recognize your name from the Ponding forum - you're the koi guru from SC! You should look at Brown Antique granite. It looks very pretty in combination with Delicatus; I have a friend here in Raleigh with this combo. Brown Antique is bullet-proof (I have it in my butler's pantry and wet bar areas with natural cherry cabs). It looks almost black at night; dark brown (think black coffee) in full daylight.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi zoenip. Yep...that's me. I don't know if I would call myself a guru...probably more like obsessed but still learning. I will look at Brown Antique. the black fossil won't work. The slab is too short and the material cost alone on it is nearly $100 per foot. I just found that out today. So no black fossil for me. Probably for the best....I was concerned about the pattern competing with the kitchen granite. So I'll be looking at solid black, brown, and also cream colored marble. Also looking at Either maple or walnut. The GOOD news is that they will be cutting my delicatus tomorrow!! YAY!! They are seaming it at the two sinks and the cooktop so they can get it here unbroken. this stuff is bad about breaking and having the seams at the cut-outs will help it get here unbroken. So maybe by mid-next week, I'll have granite! I am sure once it is in, it will be easier to decide on what to use on the bar overhang.

Cindy

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Congrats on getting your pretty granite next week. Just was checking in to see what you decided. Let us know. K?

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I had almost the exact same dilemma on our first remodel, right down to the huge discount, etc.

I ended up doing the bar in black galaxy and it turned out great: