Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash going in Wednesday!! Diamond MOP...

Posted by williamsem (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 13:10

GC just called, he's coming Wednesday to install my backsplash! My other update thread is full (thanks -so much- for sharing my excitement!), and I know many are looking forward to seeing this go in.

I will update with pics as soon as I get home Wednesday!

For those coming here from a search, here are the tiles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash going in Wednesday!! Diamond MOP...

So pretty! I'll be anxious to see it go in. Still trying to choose my own backsplash!

o

Can't wait to see it! That's beautiful!!

o

That tile is so gorgeous! I can't wait to see it installed.

o

CAN-NOT-WAIT to see it!!!!

o

I am so anxious to see it! I have my granite samples to drop off at the tile shop for Chip to put some suggestions together for me.

I will be anxiously looking for your post on Wednesday!

o

Add me to the list of those anxiously awaiting! I have ordered samples of MOP, and can't wait to see yours installed!

o

Woohoo. I was just looking for that reveal. :). So excited for you.

o

You know we are all champing at the bit! Woot!

o

Yay, looking forward to Wednesday!l

o

It's going to be dramatically pretty!

o

Exciting times! Can't wait to see pictures!

o

ive been anxiously awaiting this!

o

Omg, I am so conflicted right now.

But here is the part that went up today, more tiling tomorrow, grout Friday.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I don't know if I should laugh or cry! Half the sheets are upside down!

o

Oh no, how did that happen?

o

I had to go to work before the guys started, and DH doesn't see a difference. But when I showed him the two configurations together, he -likes- the upside down sheets! He thinks my severe astigmatism makes the break in pattern exaggerated to me.

I x-posted in the design forum for perspective. Some great eyes over there too!

I'm hoping I'm just too close to this. I know I'll get honest opinions here, good or bad.

o

Oh my. I'm sorry this happened to your beautiful tile. Clearly, the vertical diamonds that should appear at regularly staggered intervals, show up adjacent to each other at irregular intervals. It has nothing to do with your astigmatism and everything to do with the installer's inattention to detail.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but honestly, it looks awful to me. If it does to you too, don't hesitate, don't try to get used to it, just ask them to rip it out, buy you new tile, and install it properly. There's nothing else to be done.

o

So sorry the install got botched. What a shame to have that happen to such pretty tile. :( Incredibly disappointing. I hope they get it fixed up for you quickly.

o

Thanks to everyone for the support and honest opinions. i really appreciate it. GC can see the problem now too. He has offered to fix, whatever I want. Not a problem at all.

DH thinks I'm crazy, and he prefers the current install. GC says it won't be much difference ripping it out now vs after grout in term of difficulty removing and fixing. I'm guessing that either way involves significant drywall repair.

It's really almost done, so he's going to finish the right way behind the range. Then grout, the color should blend with the tile. If I don't like it once everything is back on the counters and finished, he will redo it no charge. I offered to buy the tiles, I should have just been late to work and should have realized DH couldn't provide adequate instructions.

I'm hoping maybe once it's grouted and shiny and half covered I won't even notice. But if I do, and I likely will, at least I'll have something pretty to look at while I'm waiting. It will take 2 weeks for the tiles, roughly, then back on GCs schedule.

More pics later after they are done.

o

Here's the last part, the largest span of tile. I love it! The pattern is harder to appreciate in 18 inches, but here it looks fantastic.

I do want to see if the grout helps. By the time we get everything back on the counter, and with the window, outlets, etc, I'm hoping it will be better. Not holding my breath, but maybe.

Will post pics after grout tomorrow for anyone wanting to weigh in on the final product. I at least know that if I want it fixed, there will be no hassle.

o

Williamsen - Wow and Wow and then such a disappointment. It is gorgeous and I sure hope they fix your problem. And I would get it fixed or you will always be noticing the upside down tiles.
BTW - what is the hood that you are using?

o

Thanks, A2. I have a Kobe CHX 191 series 30 inch. 330-640 CFM (think the newest one is more), super quiet, LED lights, baffles, 22 inch deep, and no sharp corners or seams. Everything I wanted except back vent, but I can't really reach the cabinet above anyway, so losing most of it to the ductwork isn't really a loss. Like just about everything else, we LOVE it!

o

I would love to see a picture of your entire kitchen. It looks to be about the same shade of blue as mine. DH thought I was crazy for painting our kitchen such a "loud" (in his opinion) color. It has grown on him since cabinet and granite installation.

I love your BS choice!

o

It's looking really beautiful. All the materials and the colors are gorgeous. It's great to know you chose a good GC willing to make things right.

Don't feel bad about not being there to instruct - any tile that has directionality, one edge different from the other (i.e. left side has vertical diamonds, right side has horizontal ones) must be installed in the proper orientation. It speaks for itself - the tile's appearance tells the installer how to install it. Your GC subcontracted to someone who has never installed before, or was hung over. There's nothing the least bit challenging about this sort of installation. Why should you pay for the tile? They're the "professionals."

You are a kind person, you don't want to make a fuss, and you want to be finished, but you may be prolonging the inevitable. My guess is the mistakes will be more visible with grout, not less so. FYI, there will be considerably more mess, more damage, and more dust for you to clean up if they grout before they demolish, but proceed as you see fit. Require of them that they cover your counters with masonite boards before they demo if you choose to go that route.

Best of luck. Can't wait for the final reveal!

o

I really can't see a problem with the orientation of the tile sheets. I think it all looks quite lovely.

There are several small details about our kitchen that bug me (being the perfectionist that I am), but as more time goes by, I notice them less and less. Most people wouldn't even notice them, unless I pointed them out. Maybe this would be the same for you as well.

o

I think it looks beautiful. From an untrained eye, I can't see the difference. (Maybe someone can tell me?!). I'm similar in that I don't like to make a fuss so live with it for a bit but if it still bothers you, I'd change it and then you can tell yourself you've tried. But it really is gorgeous!

o

Once I notice an error like that, my eye is regularly drawn to the mistake and it irks me. (But that's just me; you may not be like that.) Personally, I would not let them grout it. EAM44 is right that it will create more mess and damage. You should not pay for the replacement tile; the installer should have been paying attention. The GC offered to make it right, so let him.

You didn't ask about this, so ignore me if they did what you wanted, but in the first picture I do not like that the tile extends beyond the counter. If they re-do the install anyway, you may want to have them end the tile with either the upper cabinet or the counter (if they are different).

o

The BS done correctly is amazing!!! Yes, the other defect is small, but it is there and is obvious, and it should be fixed (without grouting). BTW, where did you order your MOP tiles from? I have several samples on my counter now from Builder Elements -- including one that looks like yours. They are all so pretty. Trying to decide between grouted or groutless!

o

The BS done correctly is amazing!!! Yes, the other defect is small, but it is there and is obvious, and it should be fixed (without grouting). BTW, where did you order your MOP tiles from? I have several samples on my counter now from Builder Elements -- including one that looks like yours. They are all so pretty. Trying to decide between grouted or groutless!

o

It is such a gorgeous tile. I know how hard it is to rip and do over, but I would want it perfect. I can accept some imperfections, but not all. In our kitchen, the KD said we would have soft close on everything. She read it wrong and I can't even remember which doors and drawers have it. I can live with that. I would have a harder time with your stunning tile.

o

Thanks for all the comments. I will post final BS pics Monday after they clean up the tiles and finish, caulk, etc. I like seeing threads with updates and resolutions, so I try to follow through with things.

I'm going to give it a chance. It's all sparkly and patterned, with several interruptions from obstacles. It may be ok. If it gets redone, definitely going to fix the short wall start point too. Even if it's a more subtle effect of making the room look "off" or like it was a DIY gone wrong, it will go. I am not trying to make the room look "expensive", but it should look well done for what it cost (not nearly what the many gorgeous rooms here cost, but for our area and income it was a significant outlay!).

1Littleladybug, the color is PPG Montego Bay. We don't have a lot of wall space, so it works well for us. I'm almost finished, then I can post a reveal. More pics in the link below.

Eam44, thanks for the Masonite board tip. I may need it!

Gpraceman, I'm very interested to see how many of my friends and family notice when they come over to break it in! I might have to post a tally board.

Thanks, jams!

kaysd, I'm that type also. That's part of the reason I haven't tried knitting or crochet, and will on rare occasions when feeling crafty break out some plastic canvas. The plastic is easier to keep even.

Legallin, the tile is from builderelements.com. It's PEM0056. I was surprised that it didnt look as white as the web pic even though the sample looks white. But then placing the sample on the sheets it matches perfectly. And the sheets do look white from just a foot or two away. It's an odd effect! Be sure to use the discount roulette thing if you buy there, saved me another 8%! You should allow some extra time when ordering, it can take 10 days to make the sheets if they are not in stock, then shipping on top of that. I wasn't keen on brick shapes for some reason, but I couldn't figure out how grout less tiles worked so I skipped them. Very intriguing though! Post some pics!

Thanks, sixtyohno. I haven't had to compromise on much, thankfully. I guess time will tell with this one.

I soooo wanted a piña colada tonight after stressing about this for two days, but I have to go get our take out :-(. I've been thinking about one all week after checking a liquid Rx that smelled like piña colada! (Knowing what it was, it probably tasted horrible though)

Here is a link that might be useful: Williamsem progress photo album

o

How pretty. What is the name and source for the tile? Thanks.

o

Gorgeous tile, I'm jealous! I have to admit I'm not as observant as some so it took me a minute to see the issue. But now that I have, I can tell you there's no way I would want to live with it. Just knowing the mistake is there would drive me batty.

After reading many threads here I think you're very lucky that you have a contractor who is owning up to his mistake and willing to make it right without a fight. I say take advantage of that before it's too late. I'd do him a favor and tell him you want it redone before be goes through the effort of finishing it. He's only doing that in the hopes that you'll agree to live with it and I don't think you should.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here