Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cflaherty_gw

Calling all Blanco Silgranit Sink Owners!

cflaherty
12 years ago

Just received ou Blanco Silgranit Sink and wondering if yours looked like this on the bottom? Should we be concerned?

Here is th link to some pics of th sink:

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/flatman/

Comments (20)

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoops..try this link...bunch of pics ..please scroll to find Black Silgranite Sink.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I just looked at mine, it was rough, but did not have the gaps/voids/cracks I see in your pics. perhaps a call to Blanco is in order before you install?

I love mine, sorry you are having issues.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I can't see your pic. Colorfast just recently (last week?) posted a pic of the bottom of her silgranit sink and there was good info that came with it. Check hers out.

• colorado_mom
    12 years ago

OK - just stuck my head under my sink :) It is interesting that it has this textured rough like coating around the edges of the underside, but the center bottom is smooth - like it is lacking this extra textured layer. It is like they coated the sides, and the coating stopped as it reached the center of the underside of the sink. I could see where it could peel.

However - where did you purchase it? I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a new one. My first one had a tiny crack in the divider (it's a 60/40) and the company had a new one at my home is less than 48 hours (faucet direct dot com)

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thx for your info. Sink came from Homeperfect.com. I have been in contact with Blanco to see what can be done. Homeperfect requires a letter from Blanco stating the sink is defective before they will replace it. How do I locate the posts from Colorfast?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I used the search function at the bottom of page 1. Here's her thread. If you have questions for her, you could post them at the bottom of her thread or post there asking her to look at your thread.

I'm curious to see how your sitation plays out. My silgranit should be here in a couple of weeks. Let us know what happens please.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorfast's silgranit thread with pics

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Hey, saw your thread, glad someone posted mine. What Mabel posted is exactly correct. The flat parts of the underside of the sink are fairly smooth. It is all the edges where there's more shiny black grooves and light spider-web designs. Those pix look similar to mine, but I am hesitant to sign off for you that all is clear. I don't feel that experienced!

You could have your granite fab guys look at it when Templating. If they think it's a crack, then send it back. You'll need to get the exact replacement sink though. You can't get a different style if they are out.

I can't believe Homeperfect's rules are that strong about the return policy. The initial guy I had at Faucet Depot acted like these sinks were rarely returned. The manager looked at my pix. (I sent him several.) He thought the sink looked fine, but he authorized the return should the fabricators disagree. It was pretty simple. I tried to be nice (although clearly I was stressed), and the manager was a pretty decent guy.

Buying a Silgranit sink online is a stressful experience. Not sure I'd recommend it. You are earning the money you save, anyway.

• BlancoAmerica
    12 years ago

Hello,
    As a representative from BLANCO, I would like to add some information as to the quality and production of our BLANCO SILGRANIT kitchen sinks that may help ease your mind.
    BLANCO is THE world leader in composite kitchen sink development in ALL areas of technical advancements, patent development, quality control, portfolio size, color offering, and true global production. Our products carry a lifetime warranty and are produced in BLANCO�s own factories located in Germany and Canada. Our sinks go through extensive quality control checks throughout each stage in production.
    Specifically, I want you to know that each and every SILGRANIT sink�s underside does have some roughness and texture which may be interpreted as cracks. This is a natural part of our patented formulation and production process. The texture you are seeing on the backside is a result of the curing process of the material after casting. It does not in any way deter from the strength of the product but rather allows for the perfect combination of interior surface hardness and overall strength by ensuring that the maximum amount of granite is at the useable surface. It is this process that makes our sinks the MOST durable and the MOST hygienic surface available on the market today.
    We pride ourselves on being a family company that focuses on quality, innovation, and customer service. We stand behind our products everyday with passion and pride to ensure you have a wonderful experience every time you use them. Please contact our customer care department at 800-451-5782 should you have any questions or concerns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silgranit II

• colorado_mom
    12 years ago

Some good info., but don't hesitate to push for a replacement if needed. I will plug faucet direct because they priced matched homeperfect(who had the lowest price at the time) when I read that homeperfect customer service was not stellar. Again,
    I just called and they sent a new one out no questions asked.

• ONU_Rx
    12 years ago

Does anyone have experience ordering these sinks AND receiving them okay from Homeperfect?

• User
    12 years ago

I, unfortunately did not have a stress free purchasing experience with my Silgranit sink, but I have one now and really like it. The first one came with a visible crack on the underside...you could almost put a dime in it...definitely a fingernail and it did not seem to have the shiny sealer around the crack. It did seem that it was a manufacturing crack that was more than what would be acceptable. We sent pictures and Blanco did k for sink to be returned to them. The second sink came with a hairline crack on the top corner inside surface....probably shipping damage, but
    right at the corner extending over the lip of the sink where there is a metal tab that is slightly visible. My final sink has a very rough bottom....and some things that look somewhat cracklike, but you could see that they were just surface deformities and were completely sealed. That is the one we installed and so far no issues.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Hey, Alwaysfixin, you are fortunate homeandstone had them in stock. They are among the most frequently recommended here on Gardenweb. I had a several week wait.

It is nice the Blanco folks have posted. They have yet to return the phone messages I left two weeks ago.

• Daicey
    12 years ago

I bought from Homeandstone and I received it VERY fast and it was packed VERY well. My sink looked all crackly on the bottom but the inside was very smooth. Mine will be installed at the end of the month. Good luck!

• mudworm
    12 years ago

colorfast >> They have yet to return the phone messages I left two weeks ago.

I was surprised that my call two days ago to Blanco (number was posted above) went to voice mail after making 2 or 3 choices (around 10am I think). I was just looking for information regarding a couple of sinks to help me make my decision. Left my name and number, but did not hear back.

Wonder if they are equally hard to reach should there be any warranty issue in the future. Hmm...

• ONU_Rx
    12 years ago

Just as an update:
    I received my silgranit sink from homeperfect dot come and it came in original packaging from Blanco, styrofoam covering the outside, high density packaging around, strapping, and fragile stickers all over it. the thing was secure. there is some 'crackly' looking things on the corner but according to Blanco, this is normal and part of their process for mfring. The rest of the sink looks great. Very happy so far. I ordered my sink on the 16th and it arrived on the 19th.

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ONU_Rx would you be willing to post some pics of yours?
    I am still undecided on whether to exchange mine or not....I think my pics make the concerned areas look bigger than they really are.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Hi flaherty -- I bought my silgranit from homeperfect too. My experience with homeperfect was, well, not perfect. But not bad either. This is what I took away from the interaction: They happen to have some *VERY* pushy salesmen, They are not all that pushy. The supervisor was quite nice, though not clearly anymore 'superior' than simply another CS rep - I think they may be all fairly autonomous.

I had an order all laid out and then couldn't get it to go on the computer so called the next day. The rep was nice-enough, sort of, but ended up pushing me to a purchase I hadn't intended and as I didn't have my list in front of me I didn't realize. I was not happy. I called back and got a different rep and the experience was *very* different, moreover the second rep seemed to know exactly of which I complained. Eventually I talked with a supervisor and we hammered out an agreement about the problem.

I would never deal with the first rep again; I would happily deal with the second and supervisor. I would be quite cautious buying stuff from homeperfect, they're kinda pushy. This is in contrast with some other internet operations; some are just neighborhood stores with telephones, some are huckster-pushers. But a sink is a sink; it comes in a box, it's supposed to be what it's supposed to be. If it isn't when it arrives, you have a right to get one that is. Even from hucksters. But you may have a more irritating experience getting there!

That's my experience at least. I didn't see your photos but it sounds like the details of whether you have what you should have are worked out. If it's not as it should be, just keep talking to someone else at homeperfect until you find someone who responds as they should. This isn't really terribly exotic as problems go, it's just your particular CS rep who's exotic! Just go get another one.

Long ago in dealing with the phone company especially, I learned that if you draw a rep who is just not getting, answering bizarrely or refusing to grant a simple request, just stop mid-sentence, say "thank you very much", hang up and dial for another one. It's just not worth the aggravation.

I think my first dud-rep at homeperfect was "Adam". I'd avoid him like the plague, personally. Hope this isn't slander -- ymmv and I'm sure he's a loving individual. I just found him, personally, a pia to deal with!

Good luck. I love my silgranit -- I have the cascade which I thought was kinda cool. But I have to say, if I had it all to do over again, I'd have gotten a bigger bowl. I guess I like biiiiiiig sinks. Maybe a bathtub would have worked? ;)

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have decide to keep our sink despite the corner..I think it should be fine. Now we need help figuring out what type of faucet we should purchase for such a deep sink? Any suggestions? Please show me your pics! Thx

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

We installed the moen brantford...