Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelew9090

Help! Backsplash needed

michelew90
9 years ago

It's been several months. I need help choosing backsplash to go with my off white/chai cabinets and supreme gold granite. I want to add some bling without being too trendy.

This post was edited by michelew90 on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 22:32

Comments (149)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Don't lose yourself in our opinions! You love the black crackle so try to work it in as a liner and accent tile. I think the sample you showed with a similar tile as part of the frame looks great. But I don't think it will work with the Encore crackle tiles.

One advantage to the liner is you could use it in the beverage area so it's not the plain stepsister (Cinderella). That's really a focal area too because of its orientation, so I feel it needs a little something. However, I think if you do all the field tile in crackle, you're okay. It's special enough even if the range gets most of the glory.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Interesting link below,

Here is a link that might be useful:

• romy718
    9 years ago

This how I'd go about your appt. with Encore. Find a field tile first (like you did with Fireclay). Don't limit yourself to just the crackle tiles, they have beautiful matte tiles too. It's possible (they have over 50 crackles colors) you may not find the perfect color. In that case, the Miramar may not be an option?
    Once you find the field tile, you can then decide on the colors for the picture frame. One of the things I really like about Miramar is the button. You can make the button a contrasting color. You could match the button to the field tile. You could match the Miramar to the field tile & use a color from your granite for the button. Tie all the colors together with the actual framing around the Miramar.I like the Chaucer but you might consider using a linear pattern for the frame. The overall look would be less fussy. The picture that May_flowers posted of the Miramar has rectangular tiles below. I'll post a pic of another example.
    Hopefully the sales person at the tile store will be helpful & will have lots of ideas for you. Maybe scale wise, there is a pattern that would suit the frame better than Miramar. Is this the same store that carries Quemere?
    Best of luck & keep us posted.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Miramar with the "button." Another consideration that May_flowers has brought up is using similar colors shades but a different tile finish, matte vs glossy to add interest. For example, the button & the frame could be a different texture. Just ideas.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Linear tiles with a curvy pattern.

• kachinee
    9 years ago

I like the arabesque (small format) in white with white grout.

This post was edited by kachinee on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 0:57

• romy718
    9 years ago

The small format above is Encore Fortuna Wave. The Miramar could be too big. This one would be pretty.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Fortuna Versailles that May_flowers linked to above.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy I love the curvy waves in that last pic. I'm assuming that is Encore tile?? I'm going to tile store tomorrow. I should come back with some samples which I'll post.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Encore Fortuna Versailles. I can't take credit for it, as Mayflowers found it a couple of days ago. It's less traditional than the others, which might work better with your granite & give your kitchen another transitional detail. I think I need May_flowers to translate that last sentence.
    Edit: also check out the Encore Bravos line for your field tile. Some of the same colors as in the other lines but less expensive.

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 10:45

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Shoot, romy, I don't know design terms! I just go by what feels right. Most of it I learned from putting in a garden the last 10 years. Combine over 100 plants in a small suburban backyard and you learn a thing or two about colors, textures, proportion, balance, and all that other stuff. It made me really detail-oriented (aka fussy!). When I look for my backsplash, hopefully this fall and winter, I'm asking YOU for help! I've got a bath remodel with tile planned too.

I like your idea of mixing a matte tile with the crackle. Since Michele likes Fortuna Versailles, I kind of like the Chic and Chocolate, where the oval is the matte and the diamond is a darker crackle. Then the crackle pencil liner could be used in the inner frame with the matte as the outer frame. It's just enough crackle without taking focus away from the granite. But what goes in the beverage area? I can't picture plain cream field tile there.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May flowers: I love them all but for the sake of comparison. Here are some sonoma samples (and Fireclay in center) next to counter. The mosaic distracts from the granite some even with the muted colors. I'm afraid the encore with chocolate will draw your eye right to it - causing over load of patterns but I'll see if I can get a sample. When I had the two original encores in the lattice pattern. The one on the left with the muted colors actually looked better because even though the colors didn't go, the eye "flow" was better. lol I'm making up my own design terms now!

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is from across the room. I should also mention that the beverage area typically isn't clear. I keep snacks in a deep drawer under that counter and my speed oven is located there was well. This is a very busy spot in my kitchen and may not get to "showcase" a special tile treatment like in a showroom. We also cook a lot so I worry about a tile that may absorb grease.

This post was edited by michelew90 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 6:21

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While we're at it....Close up of cabinets. They are stained white with a "black/brown" glaze on top making them look off white in person. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should put paneled ends on the uppers and lowers next to my stove? You can see this in the first pic I posted.

This post was edited by michelew90 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 6:31

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I prefer paneled ends. I have a question. How does that crackle tile look against your cream cabinet color in real life? Sometimes gray and cream do not work together, but I cannot really tell on a monitor.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Whoops! Mayflowers - this is the first time I read this thread on a computer. I posted from my phone and I realize now I basically summarized everything you already said! You have great taste!

Seriously Michele I can't wait to see what you pick - I may or may not have had dirty dreams about your granite...

I only wanted to chime in here to say be careful with crackle glazes on a backsplash - they'll need to be sealed periodically or they WILL stain.

You know, as I'm skimming through the posts here I remembered some tile I ran across when I was visiting the Daltile showroom here in Milwaukee. I can't remember the name but I do still have the pics from my phone. They were so sparkly and pretty - maybe check Daltile and see if they'd have something you like?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Swentatstic, thanks for the summary! Not sure where you did that, but I bet a lot of my posts could benefit from a summary!

Michele, I like the curved Versailles tiles in the matte and letting the diamond shape sparkle. Instead of crackle/crushed glass, you could use a glazed diamond in the same color as the curvy tile. It would be very subtle--just those pretty curves quietly emphasized in matte tile. At Daltile I saw a glazed linear mosaic that had just a few square matte tiles, all in the same dark gray. It really stuck with me of all the tiles I saw in the tile district.

I would not put paneled ends near the stove--harder to clean, added expense for something not noticeable, and you don't have panels on your end cabinets.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Samples from kitchen design store. When I pointed out the encore oval, the designer thoughtit would be too matchy. These are from Pratt and Larson. Both colors work. I prefer the pattern in the large board but the colors in the pencils. The color of the smaller tile dove/earth is the same but looks drastic due to the pattern I think. She is ordering a large sample board in the dove/earth in the pattern used on the creamy board. Tell me your thoughts. There is actually another pattern I prefer on Pratt and Larson site MTP-17-Need Feedback!

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up Pratt and Larson pencils. The large tile is linen from Queremere. I could use one of these in the beverage area.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why I prefer grey and white:If I go with the large board color, the gold in the granite pops more. If I go with the dove/clay colors it transitions my cabinets nicely. I'm trying not to pull out gold due to the fact that a lot of other things in the kitchen area are silvery. The lights are burnished silver, the pulls and knobs are pewter, stainless steel appliances, chairs in dining area (part of kitchen) and table have silver leaf, chairs in sunroom next to kitchen have silver rivets, that mirror in background has silver leaf in the frame, etc...I do have gold accents in the living room which is next to kitchen but again, prefer silver. I can and will paint the walls another color. The walls are currently suede and caper tree green due to some dumb decision made a while ago. I'm over it! Let me know your thoughts please!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Am I reading this right that the designer ordered a large sample board of the tile SHE prefers but didn't order a sample of the tile the CUSTOMER prefers? Did she even work up a sample with a curvy tile?

I prefer the MTP-17 because it does reference the repeating design. Don't tell me she rejected it as too matchy! I also like the Motif tiles with contrast in the petal design instead of tone on tone. Otherwise they look like bathroom tile, especially in that gold color. I don't think it's very interesting as a framed piece, not when the granite is so much more dramatic. I think it has to at least hold its own with the granite.

It doesn't provide any texture either. It's more like a piece of framed wallpaper.

I couldn't copy the photos from P & L's website. I believe her choice is the last tile in the bottom row. Your preferred choice is the fourth tile in the first row.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pratt and Larson Motif tiles

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Mayflowers you are correct but I don't think they had the mtp17 sample board in the store or at least I don't recall seeing it there. once I got home I went to Pratt and Larson site searching for other options/patterns.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Just not sophisticated enough for your granite. I'm fading in the tile revolution, thinking you should find a beautiful crackle tile in a color that looks beautiful with your cabinets & granite. Maybe do a 2x8 or stacked to compliment the more transitional granite.
    Pratt & Larson has lovely crackle & lots of colors. The motif colors are different than the field tile colors.
    Edit: just wanted to add that sometimes less is more. You've got so many beautiful accents in your kitchen, ie "the granite", your cabinet hardware, your light fixtures, the bowl, etc., that you may not need a framed insert. You could add the perfect tea kettle, a cool tray with oil bottles, salt & pepper, etc next to your stove.
    You've gotten great samples & we're all still willing to keep on looking. If you've found something you love, go with it. It's your kitchen.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 0:58

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I understand about the gold. I get the concept of not wanting to be too matchy. However, I can't see adding an entirely new motif instead, especially one that veers toward somewhat floral.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree about these patterns being too flowery. The other one I mentioned is closer in similarity to the curvy ovals/ lines in my lights. I'll be going back tomorrow and I'll try to get more sample boards-I want to see curved Versailles next to my granite or miramar.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think when you do a framed area with bold granite, you have to pull the colors from the granite and they have to be spot on. I think it works in this photo. If the granite is the large pattern, the pattern inside the frame must be small. That doesn't mean it can't be bold too, but on a smaller scale. The P & L doesn't work because it's giving in to the granite.

I would draw some large and small patterns on butcher paper and tape it up. See if you feel good about pattern. It looks like you have the Quemere as your field tile.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by San Francisco Architects & Building Designers Gast Architects

• romy718
    9 years ago

Your cup pulls have a diamond shaped pattern. There are diamond patterns & also some curvy diamond patterns, both in a small scale in some of the pics above. The Encore Smoke pic has a curvy diamond. you might try some of those samples too.
    Your hood is 36"? Have the tile person give you an size for the insert. i'm guessing with the P&L motif's, you could fit four 6" pieces max. The sample is almost the size of your insert so it gives you a pretty good idea of what it will look like. I see flowers in the MTP-17. I know the arabesque shape is there but it's the flower I see.
    Also, when your looking at colors, look at them vertically against your granite.
    I found the colors looked completey different vertical versus flat on the countertop. It's really nice when you are able to bring a color board home. It's so hard to pick a color from one tile. I feel for you.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I wish that I could see a close up of the backsplash may_flowers just posted.

On my monitor, the colors on the right side of the very first photo that OP posted look spot on for the granite. The motif is not my favorite, but the colors look great.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I can't go back today. I may have to go back on Monday. I like the Pratt and Larson COLOR on the pencil liners...dove/clay. The clay pulls upthecolors from the granite but may be too subtle right? I also liked the encore smoke color in the store. I'll see if I can bring that home-they are weird about taking samples-insist you return them in 24 hours! I think the advice I'm getting on this site is better than from KD. Thanks so much for sticking with this with me!

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchen detective you're right the colors do match in the Encore Lattice. However, when I had them both here, the left side one looked better according to everyone who saw it in person (friends and family) somehow. It may be that the black squares and pattern overall were too geometric. With the muted colors on the left, you saw texture but without too much distraction from the granite. Earlier Mayflowers and Romy suggested martini and chic in pointed oval-maybe in that curved oval pattern-dark accents would look better. I really want to get that board and bring it home as well as a board with Chaucer and smoke fields. Stay tuned! I'm hearing everything you're saying but I don't want to rush.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention, KD initially suggested this tile.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Kitchendetective, the designer answered on Houzz about the backsplash--"It was an Ann Sachs Limestone with a Country Floor decorative fired tile panel." What the heck does that mean? I couldn't find it on her website.

I would like to see a touch of black in the framed area too.

If you were to drop the curved diamond idea and work with the diamond shape, as romy seems to be suggesting, the pillowed diamonds in that Encore arrow mosaic are kind of nice. It's softer than a flat diamond and has a dimensional curve. Could you put a different tile with them than the mosaic? Maybe a flat diamond? They've got a little bit of glazing like your cabinets. Uh oh--too matchy. Channeling your tile designer. ;)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Very soft mosaic diamonds with a black pencil liner? I don't like the thick frame moulding though.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Escondido Kitchen & Bath Designers Design Moe Kitchen & Bath / Heather Moe designer

• romy718
    9 years ago

I haven't necessarily given up on the curved, the tile sales person did. But the diamond could be interesting too. How big are the tiles you just posted? Was she suggesting them for the insert or field tile? Has she noted your granite. The flowers, the ornate tiles, to me, don't go with your granite.
    When I mentioned the silver bowl (I'm fixated on that bowl), I didn't mean the shape. I meant the look of the bowl, kind of contemporary, but still works with your traditional elements. I'm hoping you can find a pattern that feels like that bowl.
    Just saw Mayflowers latest pic. I'm posting from my cell phone & didn't see it.
    Little squares with their points upward in the soft colors. It's really pretty. It wouldn't overwhelm your granite.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 13:41

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here's another possibility. It's a Rhombus shape. The pic on the top right with the contrasting dot makes it look less like a Rhombus & more like a subtle diamond.
    I keep posting Encore pics because they have the best website with pics of their patterns. The other brands may offer this shape.
    Edit: added pic

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 13:12

• romy718
    9 years ago

Posting this basketweave again as the range & hood are about the size of your? As Mayflowers pointed out, your granite has a big pattern so a small pattern in the hood frame looks better. Your hood frame is not going to be as big as many of the inspiration pics of mosaics that are on HOUZZ, etc.
    Edit: just saw Mayflowers last pic with the small diamonds in the soft colors. I LIKE IT!

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 13:34

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Has anyone seen martini in real life? Does it have any green in it? It's lovely on the site, but I think of a pale green when I think of a martini. I guess because of the olive, but what do I know?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My thinking is moving toward a small tile better complementing the large pattern of the granite. The designer of that kitchen said that the dark liner is 1 x 2 Tantrum. So there's the sparkle. The mosaic is tumbled travertine. I think you could use the Fireclay cream with black crackle as the touch of black, or "black enough".

• jellyben
    9 years ago

I don't have anything to add, but wanted to say this thread contains the most swoon-worthy backsplash eye candy evuh!! I can't wait to go BS shopping next week with all the ideas I've pulled from here.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention, KD initially suggested this tile.

{{!gwi}}

• Gracie
    9 years ago

A gnome?? No, I don't think so. Too matchy.

(Link is broken.)

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just emailed KD and asked her to come up with more ideas and send and text them to me. I'm not opposed to diamonds or any other pattern. It's just that one encore lattice sample board didn't work. Here's one I tried at first-my sister loved it. Sorry about the pic-it's the only one I saved of that particular tile-it's crema marfil in two different textures.

This post was edited by michelew90 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 17:49

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another one I contemplated-never got a sample. I think it's sonoma

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

How about the Encore Courtyard pattern inside a frame, but using a pale color instead of the blue/green center in the first sample?

• romy718
    9 years ago

That Sonoma looks nice. It looks kind of edgy, in a good way & appears to be a small size. How big was the Crema Marfil? I think the smaller format is the way to go, whether a diamond, a square or a curve. It took us awhile to get there but.....the lightbulb finally turned on.
    At 150 posts, we'll have to start a new thread. If you could start it & include the pics of your kitchen, your light fixtures, cabinet hardware, a link to this thread & any pictures in this thread that are contenders or inspiration pics you still like.
    This has been fun (probably not as much for you).

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 20:02

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Started new thread titled michelew90's backsplash quest

• iamskc
    9 years ago

((JUniper is frantically searching for Michelew's backsplash quest))

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Mayflowers to the rescue!

Here is a link that might be useful: Go here!

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mayflowers! Check out that Pratt and Larson tile I posted. Do you like it?