Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me with granite choice.

Posted by zebra26 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 13:00

This is the color of our stone on our fireplace. We are thinking of doing the back side of island in stone also, although not sure of that decision yet. Originally I loved Apollo Storm granite, but it does not seem to be available in my area and also not sure it would match stone. I like light colors. I was looking at Colonial Gold. It seems neutral but still with some movement. My cabinets are hickory and the floors will be also. Any recommendations?

New Image

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me with granite choice.

Are you using natural hickory cabinets and floors or with a stain that tones down the variances in colors ? Natural hickory has so much going on, it's beautiful with a dark granite. I love the looks of hickory but I'm not sure I would want too much of a movement in the granite, would it get too busy? I'm not that great at seeing the whole picture, so just asking.

o

The cabinets do have a stain but a very light one. As far as the floor it does have a dark stain so not much variation. I think with all the dark going on we just need something lighter. I agree as far as movement. I don't want a lot but I don't really like the spotted kinds.

o

I love movement in granite as well. Your fireplace is very beautifully done btw. Good luck in making your decision on granite, I just went through this too. It was a very difficult time for us, but I was constantly drawn to the same granite time and time again, so when I saw the slabs I purchased, I knew they were right choice for me. My advice is follow your heart. Have you done a 'story board' with your choices to see them all put together?

o

No I haven't but that is a good idea.

o

Hickory is always described as an "energetic" wood, but it isn't a dark one. I think you could go light or dark, especially if you have plenty of natural light in the kitchen. I also think the energy of the cabinets can support movement in the stone beautifully though.

Whatever you choose, I think in this case you need color contrast (no beige or light brown stone) to avoid the "jeans suit" look, if you know what I mean. How do you feel about adding a little color - a little green or blue, something not totally white and brown, like White Ice?

o

I do like the movement and the light color. Color is so hard to see on the computer. It looks more gray than blue to me. I will take a look at it next time we go to the stone yard. Thank you.

o

Detailed view of a slab with appreciable blue. Slabs vary a lot in the ratio of grey to blue. You're welcome. Really pretty house by the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here